Author Topic: Should Jim skip to the BAT?  (Read 3847 times)

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Should Jim skip to the BAT?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2022, 05:01:27 PM »
That's a "hell no!" from me. I want to see every Dresden book from his initial plan and more, if possible.

Offline Lord Kinbote

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2022, 07:51:31 PM »
No skipping to the end, but it's past time for Jim to get a co-author (or more) who can crank out a book every 12 or 18 months, with Butcher providing the outline, direction, and editing.  As a fellow human, I certainly sympathize with Butcher's RL events; many of those events are very painful and some are time-consuming.  But his events are the type of things we each go through, yet have to continue to function in our jobs and in other aspects of our personal lives.  I've read many an author explain their process - I get up in morning, I sit down, and I write XXX words.  Viola, a year later, the novel is finished.  Butcher apparently isn't of that persuasion so he needs co-author(s) who can write on a deadline regardless of what RL throws at them.

And you can't tell me that Butcher's publisher hasn't, isn't, and/or won't be pushing this approach.  Speculating, but I'd bet the publisher won the fight over splitting Peace Talks into two books because they like money too, Butcher hadn't been pushing out any new product, and they had to be concerned about a shrinking number of fans who were still willing to pluck down hard-earned $$ for a book after many years of waiting.  (Collections of short stories don't count, BTW.) 

As a customer, I expect an end to the series.  I thought I'd live to see that but those odds grow longer each day nothing is published.  For that reason, I certainly would never recommend anyone start this series - or any other with an overarching story - until it's finished.  And I'm sorry I recommended Dresden to a friend 15+ years ago based upon Butcher's early pace, since now there's no chance she'll be alive when the series ends.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2022, 09:42:21 PM »
No skipping to the end, but it's past time for Jim to get a co-author (or more) who can crank out a book every 12 or 18 months, with Butcher providing the outline, direction, and editing.  As a fellow human, I certainly sympathize with Butcher's RL events; many of those events are very painful and some are time-consuming.  But his events are the type of things we each go through, yet have to continue to function in our jobs and in other aspects of our personal lives.  I've read many an author explain their process - I get up in morning, I sit down, and I write XXX words.  Viola, a year later, the novel is finished.  Butcher apparently isn't of that persuasion so he needs co-author(s) who can write on a deadline regardless of what RL throws at them.

Being an author isn't exactly like one's day to day job, I am willing to cut him some slack there. However having said that, he is writing obviously, a new series.. 
As a customer, I expect an end to the series.  I thought I'd live to see that but those odds grow longer each day nothing is published.  For that reason, I certainly would never recommend anyone start this series - or any other with an overarching story - until it's finished.  And I'm sorry I recommended Dresden to a friend 15+ years ago based upon Butcher's early pace, since now there's no chance she'll be alive when the series ends.

I know how she feels, several of us feel the same way.  I don't know if Jim will go for a co-author to speed things up, also I think the series loses something when that is done.  Also as pointed out when he is pushing 80 or so, will Jim be able to do it at all?

No, best to edit down and get to the BAT.  For the most part, he adds a little tidbit here and there to hook us into waiting a couple of years or more to the next book.  Seems to me that some of those tidbits can be combined into one or two books instead of five.

Offline LaraBeck

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2022, 11:07:57 PM »
I'd like to see him tell the story he wants to tell us about Harry, so if he feels like he needs the 25 books to do so, then I'd like him to write his 25 books, but just, he needs to get writing then.

It's true that life events do make things difficult sometimes, and he has my sympathy for that, and it is also true that artistic jobs are slightly different than the regular jobs, inspiration and mood can play some part in your performance. However, artistic jobs are still jobs if you're getting paid for a product, and you have to produce. It is something that Jim himself has said multiple times in interviews, at the end of the day, writing is his job, so, he's got to do it.

So, honestly, what I'd like is for him to get to writing faster, not to shorten the story.

Fortunately, in a recent interview he said he's been writing more and hopes to be writing 2 books per year again soon. (interview: https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/troi/troi-episode-024-jim-butcher-aghNUt8S1cw/) Check around min 24

And also, I vaguely remember Jim talking about writing a short story that would focus on Harry getting back to doing PI work after Battle Ground, in an interview too (can't remember which one tbh), and him mentioning the title "The Law". And now this has shown up on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Y26JXWM/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?keywords=law+butcher&qid=1650054770&sr=8-9 (but I haven't seen confirmation that this is real tbh, I would imagine it'd be confirmed here or on Jim's site)

But at least, I dunno, there's a little hope that things will get back on track?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 11:14:28 PM by LaraBeck »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2022, 04:50:57 AM »
It's true that life events do make things difficult sometimes, and he has my sympathy for that, and it is also true that artistic jobs are slightly different than the regular jobs, inspiration and mood can play some part in your performance. However, artistic jobs are still jobs if you're getting paid for a product, and you have to produce. It is something that Jim himself has said multiple times in interviews, at the end of the day, writing is his job, so, he's got to do it.

Mine as well, but understand an artistic job isn't like any other job, it is an act of creation.  That comes from the heart and an intangible called creativity, you just can't pull that out of a certain part of your anatomy, or you can, but the product won't be that good. Also more books don't necessarily
tell the story better, nor do rushed books.   
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 04:55:16 AM by Mira »

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2022, 07:02:16 AM »
I have to admit I would be pleased to hear he had an outline written, so it could be continued if need be after he passed.  Just in case.

Lord Kinbote, never give up hope on your friend. There is a case in point of a man buying a life estate on the apartment of a 90 year old French woman, where she got residency rights and a monthly payment. He died 30 years later, and never got in the apartment... as she was still alive....

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2022, 10:05:24 PM »
I am really happy I started reading the series. I have had a really great time on all my around seven end to end read/listen throughs. Of course I really look forward to the next book and the end of the series. But for me it is not as much about the destination as it is about the journey.

Buying an audiobook cost me the same as about ten liters of milk, so I will continue to buy them as soon as they come out no matter the frequency.

I hope he writes them the way he thinks it is the best for him to write, I think it will be best books that way. We don't know enough about the content of the future books to tell which ones are not really nessecary. Which ones of the case files that he has written do you think he should have skipped?