Author Topic: any word on Jim?  (Read 8094 times)

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: any word on Jim?
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2022, 05:45:50 AM »
George RR Martin does that to you.

How about Robert Jordan?

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2022, 09:09:45 PM »
Jordan actually did try to speed up that's part of why book 11(his last) was so bad, I imagine it's different when you know it's coming. Jim isn't under that type of pressure or I'd imagine he'd leave outlines with more detail.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2022, 06:15:48 AM »
I hope he lives to a hundred. I hope he writes 100's of books.  I'm just saying that I won't be reading them if I have to pay. There are hundreds of thousands of book that are finished that I haven't read yet. So assuming he doesn't run off the rails I'll get my Dresden fix at the Library.  If he can make me wait years I can wait the additional months to check out either the audio book or the hardcover.
Amen.. Edit, edit,edit...  When the books are coming out three to five years apart and the plan is over twenty books the years catch up to everyone..  Ten books three years apart, that's thirty years. Ten books five years apart, that's fifty years!  Stories can be dragged out too long and start to repeat themselves and even get a bit silly..

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2022, 10:52:45 PM »
I have a theory that Sanderson has trapped Butcher, Rothfuss, and Martin in hive-mind cocoons and is using their combined skills to churn out his 3.5 stories/year catalog.

I don't have any evidence yet, but I'll share it when I do.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2022, 11:43:57 PM »
Maybe he can look at what Brian Sanderson is doing with Kickstarter.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2022, 11:48:15 PM »
Just to be clear, I do not want to hurry JB. I just wish to have some news of what he is doing. Some updates on his website would be good.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2022, 12:33:10 PM »
Just to be clear, I do not want to hurry JB. I just wish to have some news of what he is doing. Some updates on his website would be good.

We all do. Personally. I hope he's doing well.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2022, 06:40:31 AM »
It's been a tough time for many people, the past few years, and Jim has had plenty of personal tragedy and hardship. It's hard to write at the best of times, and damn near impossible at the worst. That's the curse of the creative arts.

Jim will get back to writing (if he hasn't already) when he's ready, assuming he ever is. It would be very sad for us all if he can't for a long time, worse if he never does. I don't think that's very likely but it's possible. And that's his right too, and there isn't anything we can do about that (or should do).

All we can do really is do as we have ever done i.e. just be the same group of loyal, dogged, weird, needy, well-meaning, over-enthusiastic nerds. I hope Jim knows he's got a lot of people all over the world who care about him, more than just him as an author, and are grateful for all he has done for them and the joy he has brought to them. I know I am.

I don't think I ever expected some guy from Independence, MI MO to make my life a little better with his stories. But he went and did it anyway without being asked, without even knowing that I existed or that he might even do that.  I do hope he finds a bit more happiness, if only so that his own life improves. If he gets back to writing his fantastic series, all the better.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 02:02:26 AM by Yuillegan »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2022, 10:00:53 AM »
He had personal tragedy? I did not know  :'( I know nothing of him since he stopped updating with tweeter account.
And again, I am not hurrying him, I know he does not own us anything. But I wish there were news about what he is doing, even if those news were "he is not writing".
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2022, 02:22:41 PM »
Bad for all of us, my mother slipped into full blown dementia in the 2 years I couldn’t visit her, she doesn’t recognise any of us anymore. My best friend developed an auto immune condition in the last year picked up very late because of Covid which has rendered him blind and may rob him of the use of his legs, and  I haven’t been able to visit him either.

The two books last year REALLY helped, I have been self isolating for over 2 years because of my own health. They were a real high point in a very bad year. Of course I want more, but Jim made things better over the last 2 years or a lot of people, he needs to remember that.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2022, 05:35:30 PM »
It's been a tough time for many people, the past few years, and Jim has had plenty of personal tragedy and hardship. It's hard to write at the best of times, and damn near impossible at the worst. That's the curse of the creative arts.

Jim will get back to writing (if he hasn't already) when he's ready, assuming he ever is. It would be very sad for us all if he can't for a long time, worse if he never does. I don't think that's very likely but it's possible. And that's his right too, and there isn't anything we can do about that (or should do).

All we can do really is do as we have ever done i.e. just be the same group of loyal, dogged, weird, needy, well-meaning, over-enthusiastic nerds. I hope Jim knows he's got a lot of people all over the world who care about him, more than just him as an author, and are grateful for all he has done for them and the joy he has brought to them. I know I am.
That's sad, whatever it is, I hope it will get better. Thank you for sharing information.
I certainly will not stop being nerdy, lol.

I don't think I ever expected some guy from Independence, MI to make my life a little better with his stories. But he went and did it anyway without being asked, without even knowing that I existed or that he might even do that.  I do hope he finds a bit more happiness, if only so that his own life improves. If he gets back to writing his fantastic series, all the better
I feel the same here.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2022, 07:47:16 PM »
I am sorry CT. And yes, I know.
Missing you, Md