Author Topic: Learning the system and campaign prep  (Read 4104 times)

Offline Frankto

• Participant
    • View Profile
Learning the system and campaign prep
« on: March 02, 2022, 07:13:10 PM »
So I finally have the chance to play the original DFRPG after, what, 12 years? Exciting! Part of my process to learn a new system is to just take it apart and put it together a different way, just making things for it.

That said, is there an active DFRPG community anywhere? A discord server, somewhere to pick the brain of people playing the game, share ideas, that kind of thing? The FATE and /r/dresdenfiles discord servers (and the subreddit) don't seem like there are a lot of people too interested anymore.

Hoping there's some place I missed, since there seems to be a fair few active campaigns, either in PbP here or places like obsidian portal.

Thanks!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Learning the system and campaign prep
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 04:44:01 AM »
There's an RPG-specific subreddit which sees at least little activity.

And while this place is very quiet and sleepy, it's not dead. Ask a question here and you're likely to get an answer.

Offline Frankto

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 04:38:51 PM »
Ah, fair enough! That's how I thought it would be, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. I guess I'll hit up the Sponsored Magic thread and see if anyone has any thoughts.

Thanks for taking the time!

Edit: Ah, on second thought, might as well just make a new thread.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 04:41:55 PM by Frankto »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 12:06:39 PM »
While I'm not the best at eyeing custom powers, I am around and will watch for new threads if you have any questions.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 02:08:57 AM »
Have you seen this thread, about DFRPG system videos?

https://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,53681.0.html

Offline Frankto

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 06:20:26 AM »
I did, yeah! Shame they quit before they got to some of the meatier stuff. It's a damn shame this game doesn't have a more active community, because I've been having a blast playing it over the last year.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 04:44:58 AM »
Evil Hat moved on to other versions of Fate, including another Dresden-based version of Fate. And the book series isn't what it was. So the local population has dwindled.

It's a shame, but it could be a lot worse.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 11:46:39 AM »
I only keep an eye on this board.  Are the other parts of this site as busy as they used to be?  After all the work they did porting the website over, it would be a shame if it just died.

Offline Frankto

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 05:04:29 PM »
Evil Hat moved on to other versions of Fate, including another Dresden-based version of Fate. And the book series isn't what it was. So the local population has dwindled.

It's a shame, but it could be a lot worse.

You're right about that, I suppose. Still, I wish everyone who played this game gathered in the same place or at least that the subreddit or discord servers were more active. That's life, though, I guess!

I only keep an eye on this board.  Are the other parts of this site as busy as they used to be?  After all the work they did porting the website over, it would be a shame if it just died.

Not this site specifically, but there's a community on the Dresden Files discord as well as on the Fate RPG discord, and the subreddit of course. None of those are very active anymore, though, sadly.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2023, 09:44:39 PM »
...  Are the other parts of this site as busy as they used to be?  After all the work they did porting the website over, it would be a shame if it just died.
The novels still get action, particularly the free-ranging speculations & "WAGs" of the "Spoilers" thread.

But, yeah.  Without an active marketing campaign from Evil Hat, the DFRPG line is slowly fading.    :-\

Gamers often like to point out that an older game doesn't "die;" those rules that were fun to play still are fun to play.... but ... when a publisher turns their back on a game, this slow slide into obscurity keeps happening over and over again.

Offline Frankto

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2023, 09:47:05 PM »
The novels still get action, particularly the free-ranging speculations & "WAGs" of the "Spoilers" thread.

But, yeah.  Without an active marketing campaign from Evil Hat, the DFRPG line is slowly fading.    :-\

Gamers often like to point out that an older game doesn't "die;" those rules that were fun to play still are fun to play.... but ... when a publisher turns their back on a game, this slow slide into obscurity keeps happening over and over again.

Someone should do something about that!

(he says, as he is slowly doing something about that)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2023, 06:36:33 PM »
Someone should do something about that!

(he says, as he is slowly doing something about that)

Just by talking on the forum, we are doing something!   ;)

But honestly, gamers keep trying other games.  A campaign ends, and they're in the mood for a change, gonna go do an OSR hexcrawl, or a 4color-supers, or what-have-you.

Without the books on the shelves of FLGS's, without active chatter on big fora such as ENworld & RPG.net, etc... there isn't a constant stream of new players, and the prod of older ones to reconsider "yeah, that was game a ton of fun, gonna do another one!" just isn't there.

Offline Wendell_Burke

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2023, 02:19:39 AM »
Yeah, it's a shame. I love a lot of older games and I've given up mentioning them because whenever I do, the other person immediately suggests playing a newer game of the same genre, and I have a lot of issues with newer game design. I've also just wanted to have a stable long term group that would just keep going with a single game, maybe taking a break from time to time switching to an alternate game, but always back to the other. Continuity has always been super important to me in rpgs.

Offline Frankto

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2023, 02:24:06 AM »
Yeah, it's a shame. I love a lot of older games and I've given up mentioning them because whenever I do, the other person immediately suggests playing a newer game of the same genre, and I have a lot of issues with newer game design. I've also just wanted to have a stable long term group that would just keep going with a single game, maybe taking a break from time to time switching to an alternate game, but always back to the other. Continuity has always been super important to me in rpgs.

I feel that! I'm working on a project right now to try and put something up on DTRPG. Free book, who can argue with that, right? May as well look up more about the game. At least that's the idea.

Do you play online or in meatspace? There's a non-zero amount of activity on the Fate RPG Discord server. Game looking for players right now if you're into that sort of thing.

Offline Wendell_Burke

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2023, 06:52:33 PM »
I hope your book does well! My preference is for face to face games in the real world, such that it is. I play a bit on-line, but it's difficult to find the things I'm looking for. I tried the Dresden Files discord but that was a dud. I haven't tried the Fate discord, but every time I mention Dresden Files to anyone on line, the original game is ruled out immediately as 'too complicated' and Accelerated is pushed, and I already think the original is too simple.