Author Topic: Harry Listening  (Read 2326 times)

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Harry Listening
« on: February 13, 2022, 11:15:37 PM »
So Harry has this ability to listen better than a normal person, he thinks it might be magic but is not sure.

Have there been some good theories on what it is?

I am not sure how often he mentions it. I am sure he does it in Dead Beat. But it feels like he has done it less in the newer books.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 11:17:43 PM by TrueMonk »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Listening
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 01:52:57 PM »
So Harry has this ability to listen better than a normal person, he thinks it might be magic but is not sure.

Have there been some good theories on what it is?

I am not sure how often he mentions it. I am sure he does it in Dead Beat. But it feels like he has done it less in the newer books.

I think you are right, Harry does listen well, while it may not be a magical talent, it is vital in a world where not just the words that matter, but the inflection of how they are said seem to matter more.  At least once I believe, Harry might give up one of his names, but claims he is still protected because he hadn't given up the correct/exact way of saying his name.  Inflection matters, to get it right depends on great listening skills.

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 07:52:47 PM »
I think it must be part of his magical talent. Rashid pointedly asks him to confirm that he can before having a conversation with him in the council hall. (I forget which book) To me, this indicates an ability beyond what is simply good hearing. Couple this with his ability to find things and he's a magical detective. Whether he's using hair or some other piece of evidence to focus the connection of the lost item, or his innate ability to listen, I believe these provide the foundation for Harry's abilities as a wizard.

Would this be auralmancy?

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 08:13:28 PM »
WOJ awhile back was that Listening that Rashid and Harry do is minor water magic talent.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 09:26:07 PM »
WOJ awhile back was that Listening that Rashid and Harry do is minor water magic talent.

Not seen that and Harry is so much fire, if he also has an affinity for water magic he should be able to replicate Carlos trick and should be an apt pupil to River Shoulders .

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2022, 08:47:28 AM »
Can anyone remember the book with the conversation between Rashid and Harry? For most of the books I only have them as audiobooks and it does not really lend itself to searching.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2022, 09:50:32 AM »
Summer Knight:
I checked Bluebeard to see if he was listneing in. He had leaned way over toward a round-faced grandma-looking wizardess at another table and appeared to be listening intently to he. I nodded to the Gatekeeper. He waved his hand. No words, no pause to prepare, nothing. He waved his hand and the sounds of the room suddenly seemed to blur together, robbed of any coherence at all. "I understand you know how to Listen, too. I would rather no one else heard us." The sound of his voice came to me warped, parts pitched high and others low, oddly reverberating... He leaned down closer and whispered in my ear. "Has Mab chosen and Emissary?"

Tried to find the WOJ on Listening being Water Magic theirs about half a dozen references to it on Reddit threads, some people seem to think it's from the RPG.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 02:29:28 PM »
Summer Knight:
Tried to find the WOJ on Listening being Water Magic theirs about half a dozen references to it on Reddit threads, some people seem to think it's from the RPG.

Curses upon the RPG! Someone really ought to list all the RPG WOJ

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2022, 08:44:00 AM »
Can anyone remember the book with the conversation between Rashid and Harry? For most of the books I only have them as audiobooks and it does not really lend itself to searching.

Is it the one near the end of Turn Coat, where Harry is in the sick bay at Edinburgh, and Rashid does his Sphere of Silence spell? i thought Rashid was asking because the tones were off, maybe from the acoustics? 

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2022, 10:39:58 AM »
Not seen that and Harry is so much fire, if he also has an affinity for water magic he should be able to replicate Carlos trick and should be an apt pupil to River Shoulders .

He does some water magic  doesn't he pull water in the duel with Arianna? Does vulcanomancy once or twice too. I don't think he's totally inept at water, just better at fire. 

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2022, 10:29:15 PM »
Curses upon the RPG! Someone really ought to list all the RPG WOJ

AFAIK, there are no strictly-WOJ elements in the RPG.

It's got a bunch of IC fictional bits; some consider them DV-canon, but others don't.  I don't know if Jim does, or not.

But I don't think Jim has ever spoken at a 'Con or the like, and WOJ'ed something from the RPG.

I'd welcome being corrected or better-informed, if anyone can point me to the appropriate WOJ's!