Author Topic: Bob's Parents  (Read 6718 times)

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Bob's Parents
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2022, 03:00:55 PM »
@morris& Mira: I was thinking lash existed specifically in his shadow in the psychological sense.(which is exactly what ID Harry is) where as Bonea was growing in the same spot, but was never given precise boundaries in it, so she kept growing the inability to contain said growth caused the headaches. Iirc, mab said the other result would be Harry's death and a creature walking around in his body or some such? She'd have replaced him outright in his own mind. Lash just wanted it use the space to feed on his soul.
Alot of the DF has subtle psychological undercurrents in it's metaphysical makeup.
 Fairly certain, the shadow, Nemesis, the mirror of ones true self sans any mask,(mask, mantle) ect. Are all interrelated in the DFs higher concepts. Things that might not be touched upon but make the story go round

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2022, 03:25:22 PM »
@morris& Mira: I was thinking lash existed specifically in his shadow in the psychological sense.(which is exactly what ID Harry is) where as Bonea was growing in the same spot, but was never given precise boundaries in it, so she kept growing the inability to contain said growth caused the headaches. Iirc, mab said the other result would be Harry's death and a creature walking around in his body or some such? She'd have replaced him outright in his own mind. Lash just wanted it use the space to feed on his soul.
Alot of the DF has subtle psychological undercurrents in it's metaphysical makeup.
 Fairly certain, the shadow, Nemesis, the mirror of ones true self sans any mask,(mask, mantle) ect. Are all interrelated in the DFs higher concepts. Things that might not be touched upon but make the story go round

That is all well and good, but Bonea is a physical creature.  She may not have a body, but like Bob she exists in physical form.  It suggest that Bob was created in much the same way..

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2022, 03:41:56 PM »
That is all well and good, but Bonea is a physical creature.  She may not have a body, but like Bob she exists in physical form.  It suggest that Bob was created in much the same way..
mmm, no? She exists in reality as a spiritual form. Meaning unlike ghosts she has some pull or give to stay in the physical world, in this case the spell work of her vessel(still up in the air if it has the same deal attached to it bob's does, I think so, not by intent but by literal design)
Naturally they were created in similar fashion, I figure that was part of the point in naming her specifically a Soi. Though I'm wondering if Bob didn't kill his host

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2022, 04:53:34 PM »
mmm, no? She exists in reality as a spiritual form. Meaning unlike ghosts she has some pull or give to stay in the physical world, in this case the spell work of her vessel(still up in the air if it has the same deal attached to it bob's does, I think so, not by intent but by literal design)
Naturally they were created in similar fashion, I figure that was part of the point in naming her specifically a Soi. Though I'm wondering if Bob didn't kill his host

Maybe I didn't make myself clear, by "physical" I mean no solid, you most likely put your hand through either of them without harming them.  In that respect they are like a ghost, but clearly they are not.  I think another point about Bob, he can leave his skull and go riding on Mister's back to go places, but he cannot or at least hasn't possessed him..  Which sets him apart from say the Corpsetaker.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2022, 05:10:01 PM »
Regarding: Lasciel.

I read that as, from her POV, that Lash was her daughter.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2022, 10:23:29 PM »
Both Bob and Bonea should be able to pull in ectoplasm from the Never Never and create themselves a body, so long as they power it with Magic and avoid dawn.

Thinking about it several Denarians have demon forms larger than their human bodies when Gray goes large he explpulls in excess mass from the Never Never. Bonea should know this trick even if Bob doesn’t.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2022, 10:45:04 PM »
I think it's semantics whether Bonnea was created from a Shadow of a Fallen versus a Fallen. The imprint (Lash) is Lasciel - it's personality, memories, purpose, and some limited version of it's powers are Lasciel's. I doubt Lasciel saw much difference until Dresden changed her avatar. Because that's what Lash was, an avatar of the main being.

In terms of Bonnea's powers and knowledge, I doubt she would be all too different. The biggest difference is that the being Lash had become by the time her and Harry conceived Bonnea, is that Lash was a far more independent being than the original avatar and a far kinder one. So perhaps Bonnea's personality will be less close to Lasciel and closer to the changed Lash. Time will tell.

I get what you're saying Mira about physical. I think a better word is probably visible. Because Bob and Bonnea are not subject much to the laws of physics, rather about as much as ghost Harry. They are far more affected by spiritual laws. Which isn't to say they can't affect the physical world, or that it can't affect them (which gives some hints about the dynamics between the physical and spiritual). We can see their forms however, unlike the wraiths and other incorporeal beings of the Astral Plane. Which is significant, I think.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2022, 11:08:20 PM »
Bob can interfere with the electromagnetic spectrum, presumably this includes the spectrum of visible light hence the orange (and occasionally other colours) light motes he manifests. They could be holograms rather than a magical illusion.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2022, 01:04:14 AM »
Maybe I didn't make myself clear, by "physical" I mean no solid, you most likely put your hand through either of them without harming them.  In that respect they are like a ghost, but clearly they are not.
that doesn't clear it up at all except to say you see them differently? The only difference I can see is their ability interact and effect reality, people (bob's orgies) and ergo fate. But that's already been discussed in woj, they're borrowing that will and their place in reality via the agreement on the skull with the person holding it. They're co-oping it.
I think another point about Bob, he can leave his skull and go riding on Mister's back to go places, but he cannot or at least hasn't possessed him..  Which sets him apart from say the Corpsetaker.
and he has indeed, not for awhile but he took possession of Mister in one of the early books, one scene even has him ask Harry if he'd like him to take mister for a ride along to go look for something. He didn't mean on his back. This was I think before Jim put greater significance to mister perhaps, which is why he stopped doing it, but it happened. Taking over a person would require more willpower, though not ability, than Bob has perhaps?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2022, 01:51:53 AM »
Bob can animate the inanimate. He does it in Skin Game with the lion. And he manifests a body in Ghost Story.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2022, 06:04:57 AM »
Only in the Never Never.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2022, 01:35:06 PM »
Bob’s body in Ghost Story was within the skull, as for the lion, I think Bob would prefer something a little fleshy.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2022, 08:03:04 PM »
Bob’s body in Ghost Story was within the skull, as for the lion, I think Bob would prefer something a little fleshy.

Which begs the question, is inside the skull another dimension?  By that I mean when Harry was inside of the skull in Ghost Story if I remember correctly he was amazed how "homey" for lack of a better word it was.  To me that says to me that inside the skull there is another dimension where the Bob lives, and outside of it he is a bodyless spirit.  It seems also that Jim kind of borrowed a bit from DR Who and the TARDIS.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2022, 09:41:07 PM »
The Skull is The Matrix, Harry was Neo, and Bob was Morpheus.

Basically it is information space, and Harry was a compatible data format as a spirit.

Bob’s problem is that anything outside of his head is not translatable in the same way. He doesn’t get to meet people, so the ride along to Butters Mother was a precious real world data gathering exercise, he could therefore replicate the touch, taste and smell of Mrs Butters delicacies.

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2022, 05:56:57 PM »
Unless I'm missing something nowhere does it state that there needs to be two genders involved to create a baby Spirit of Intellect. So maybe instead of thinking it's Mab/Lea/Odin/Gatekeeper/whoever and someone from the opposite gender maybe it's a same-sex deal? I feel like this twist is enough to keep us guessing about who Bob's parents are while still keeping it mysterious enough.