Author Topic: Identity theories  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Identity theories
« on: January 11, 2022, 05:57:50 AM »
From Battle Ground we know he has been the legendary hero Beowulf, and Jim himself has confirmed that Vadderung (Odin) has held many identities - the latest of which is Vadderung. Some are clearly more mortal than others e.g. Beowulf.

We also were introduced in Cold Days to the idea that Vadderung takes on and loses mantles when he needs to - his most significant is Kringle.

Given what we know, what possible identities could he also have held? Some would have been heroes but we are talking legends here - some would be older than Viking myths.

I would have considered Merlin if were not for the fact that Mab doesn't seem to recognise Vadderung as Merlin. Now it's possible Vadderung is keeping that a secret from her but why bother? And from what we learn in Peace Talks - I think the ending of their relationship (of whatever nature) was quite bad.

But what possible identities could Vadderung have held? And what about Drakul? The idea is to think of legendary heroes and villains from history.

Tell me your best, worst, craziest, and funniest ideas. Have at it!

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Identity theories
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 07:45:56 AM »
Jason or Odysseus would be the closests Greek hero myths analogy. Intelligent leaders who continually take on people and monsters. Greeks and Romans identified Odin with hermes/mercury. Cu chalain in Irish myths. He must have had some sort of Irish myth persona for Ethniu to recognise and respect. I would of said Balor because of the eye of balor before peace talks and battleground.

We know he taught Merlin and it's unlikely he missed out on King Arthut. Maybe one of the knights of the round table. I like gwain for him.

As for Drakul... Genghis khan? Mongolian were the reason for black plague spreading so far. My WAG being Nicodemus and Dracula teamed up to create a Black Court zombie apocalypse. Might’ve also have been an effort to stop the Mongol horde with no Roman empire to stop the barbarian hordes any more. WAG but a fun one.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 01:15:07 PM »
I have it that Odin is every significant Dragonslayer except Michael, both Odin and Beowulf are Dragonslayers, and Kringle (as St Nicholas) banished dragons. He and Ferro really do not get along so I wonder if all those dragons were either Ferro under another name, or his kin. Michael had the good grace to give his condolences and was respectful. I doubt Odin ever was.

The obvious candidate left is St George.

If you go into a Greek Myth then there is also Cadmus

And here is another theory Drakul is Romanian for Dragon what if Drakul posed as dragons? If the Dragons in the Dresdenverse were landscapers why would they be interested in human sacrifice?

Was the conflict between Odin and Ferro largely caused by Drakul?

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 12:17:40 AM »
I have it that Odin is every significant Dragonslayer except Michael, both Odin and Beowulf are Dragonslayers, and Kringle (as St Nicholas) banished dragons. He and Ferro really do not get along so I wonder if all those dragons were either Ferro under another name, or his kin. Michael had the good grace to give his condolences and was respectful. I doubt Odin ever was.

The obvious candidate left is St George.

If you go into a Greek Myth then there is also Cadmus

And here is another theory Drakul is Romanian for Dragon what if Drakul posed as dragons? If the Dragons in the Dresdenverse were landscapers why would they be interested in human sacrifice?

Was the conflict between Odin and Ferro largely caused by Drakul?

So you're thinking Drakul is a Dragon shoved into the body of a Starborn? That's worth thinking about.

I also wonder what Drakul and company were up to during the French Revolution. Lots of blood and mindless people to control.

As for Odin maybe he was Erik the Red? Helping lead people to the new world?
Kyle Lowry
Everything

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 12:55:28 AM »
Perhaps yes, Ferro can adopt a Human Form, so perhaps the reverse was true and whatever Drakul was could assume a Dragon form and used it  to set Heroes against Dragons by impersonating the dragons?

WOJ has it that Drakul was something not Human stuffed into a Starborn body, maybe something which had been using an ectoplasm body, but needed a body not vulnerable to dawn? (Ironic for a vampire) and being Starborn was a bonus? The Corner Hounds used ectoplasmic bodies, but so do a large number of creatures from the Never Never so there is a wide range of candidates

Of course Odin must also have been Siegfried/Sigurd, another Dragonslayer this time from Germanic Lore. Gard even plays the Ride of The Valkyries when flying a helicopter if memory serves me correctly.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 04:38:21 AM »
Good ideas, all!

I think Cadmus, Theseus, and other demigods (in the traditional sense of being children of gods and mortals) are likely candidates.

I am not at all convinced Drakul is a dragon, as the only evidence for that is that is an interpretation of his name (not even necessarily the most correct one). IF we want to delve into Drakul's origins in that sense we should start another thread.

I think we need to look at famous characters (both historically and legendary).

I doubt Drakul sets himself up as a ruler very often, Jim says he often just works with a small team. So less Atilla the Hun and more Jack the Ripper etc.

I suspect the same applies to Odin although perhaps not quite as much flying below the radar. Beowulf, Galahad/Lancelot/another Knight/warrior, Cu Culchain (as Con said), St George is a good one as Vadderung is also St Nick etc.

These are some of my guesses -

Drakul: Jack the Ripper, Procrustes the Stretcher, Peter Niers, Christman Genipperteinga.

Odin: Beowulf, Knight of the Round Table, Theseus, Siegfried, Cu Culchlain. 

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 12:34:04 PM »
I think Drakul has posed as a Dragon and is not necessarily is a Dragon

In Arthurian Lore the Dragonslayer is Sir Palomeides a Saracen who converted to Christianity who slew the Questing Beast as part of the quest for the Holy Grail which does exist in the Dresdenverse. His companions were Sir Percival and Sir Galahad, the latter most likely a Knight of the Sword. What if this is how Odin got his Soulfire from the White God? By aiding in the quest to recover the Grail? From Sir Palomeides this would open the door to Odin being Saint George and St Nicholas. the Soulfire allowed Odin to resurrect the Einenjharen into the mortal plane, necessary for his current occupation.

I think Drakul and Junior were was involved in Arthurian Lore, Drakul as the Questing Beast, and Junior as Mordred.

This would mean Odin never met a dragon he wasn’t willing to fight. Ever.