Author Topic: Harry should have trusted Ramirez  (Read 34287 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Harry should have trusted Ramirez
« Reply #165 on: February 06, 2022, 05:47:02 PM »
Mab has a bone to pick with which Denarian without Nicky’s consent used Hellfire in Arctis Tor.

There are only three known magic users amongst the Denarians we have met, and we haven’t met all thirty as Denarians. There could be a small group three or so, who are not working with either Nicky or his wife, but in fact Black Council who are wizards, or changelings or were half Red vamps, where delayed aging would be so noticeable.

Mab can confirm whether or not it was Namshiel, if she and Vadderung REALLY need a blackened Denarius and it’s Angel, they now know where one is. Perhaps a trade of equal value? The Kringle Mantle for example, Marcone would know how much that would screw with Harry.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 06, 2022, 09:29:45 PM »
The books say the Atheme infected Lea and Lea infected Maeve.  This pretty much sews up the timing. After Dead Beat Lea infecting anybody is out of the question.

It finally occurred to me after rehashing this a number of times that we actually have a tell that points to when the plot in PG started. Sandra Marling. And if I'm right it tells us who Sandra Marling was. Consider Will's wedding and remember that Butcher has never written a paragraph that he won't reuse. Consider Something Borrowed. Butcher throws it in your face in PG. He calls out Jenny Greenteeth. I felt stupider then normal when this fell on me.
Mab has a bone to pick with Namshiel for using Hell Fire on Arctis Tor, she states it clearly in Small Favor.  Wonder how she is going to react to Marcone once she finds out he has the coin.
She knows.  Harry told her in BG.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 06, 2022, 09:47:06 PM »
She knows.  Harry told her in BG.

I don't remember that, but I will take your word for it.  Point is, does Marcone know she knows, and does he know the implications of it?  He knows a little of her taste for revenge, and that she plays a mean four dimensional game of chess.  Hmmm... I wonder if that is why she seemed to take satisfaction in Harry getting Marcone's castle and making him squirm just a bit?  Could there be a connection somehow with why she wants Harry to marry Lara? Admittedly I don't see one, but with Mab you never know.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 06, 2022, 10:47:49 PM »
“Prove it,” I said. “Sir Baron.” Marcone eyed me. Then glanced past me to the Queen of Air and Darkness. Mab’s eyebrow went up so far that it threatened the line of her skull. Then she said, as if to Marcone, “Much is explained.”

Butcher, Jim. Battle Ground (Dresden Files) (p. 385). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 07, 2022, 03:11:33 AM »
I wonder who else caught it?

Marcone and Mab obviously.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 07, 2022, 06:05:24 AM »
It doesn't really matter does it?

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 07, 2022, 06:30:51 PM »
I wonder who else caught it?

Marcone and Mab obviously.

Probably everyone in the room.

Harry is about as subtle as a bull in a China shop even when trying- and I doubt he was trying that hard since, y'know, fuck Marcone.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 07, 2022, 06:51:00 PM »
“Prove it,” I said. “Sir Baron.” Marcone eyed me. Then glanced past me to the Queen of Air and Darkness. Mab’s eyebrow went up so far that it threatened the line of her skull. Then she said, as if to Marcone, “Much is explained.”

Butcher, Jim. Battle Ground (Dresden Files) (p. 385). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

Oh cleverly written, on one hand a flashing neon sign, "MAB KNOWS!"  On the other hand vague enough to give Jim wiggle room down the line.
Probably everyone in the room.

Harry is about as subtle as a bull in a China shop even when trying- and I doubt he was trying that hard since, y'know, fuck Marcone.

Not quite, if Harry wanted to advertise, he would have, with no subtlety.. I imagine Vadderung knows, the Archive/Ivy, but I doubt the others in the room know.  It is also possible that Molly knows because of her closeness to Harry, Mab, and because she is her father's daughter.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 07:08:33 PM by Mira »

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 07, 2022, 07:28:12 PM »
It really doesn't matter who knows as long as Mab does.  And she can't do anything about it since, as far as I know, the coins can't be destroyed. So keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer. But you can be sure that Uriel knows.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 07, 2022, 08:24:15 PM »
It really doesn't matter who knows as long as Mab does.  And she can't do anything about it since, as far as I know, the coins can't be destroyed. So keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer. But you can be sure that Uriel knows.

Oh but when it comes to revenge, Mab has her ways, as Nic found out.  She might not be able to directly affect Namshiel, but she can make Marcone pay big time for taking up the coin.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 07, 2022, 09:12:12 PM »
I feel confident that Mab can find some way to get revenge, also on a Denarian. I don't think the revenge would be targeting Marcone, he is just a bystander to Namshiel. He was not the host when artist Tor was attacked. He might still get hit, but the revenge would not be designed for him.

But I am not sure she knows which Denarian it is that Marcone has taken up and she does not have something to settle with all of them. So for now I don't think she is going after him.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 07, 2022, 10:39:12 PM »
Suspect or know? Harry knows and Mab had suspicions which Harry confirmed to her.

Remember the reveal was foreshadowed earlier in in Battle Ground when Marcone manifested a Knights Banner like Harry. The Winter Knight and Summer Knight Mantles already publicly held, as were two of the Swords (I am presuming the Knights  can manifest a banner as well) this left one of the Swords not publicly held, so there is a little doubt, and not everyone would be aware of Marcone’s access to a coin.

A lot of those present knew Marcone had something beyond that of a vanilla mortal, they just are not sure what. They may suspect a coin, but they don’t know.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 08, 2022, 07:13:30 AM »

In any case taking up Namshiel's coin might be the biggest mistake Marcone has ever made. 
Mab says this in Small Favor page 402;
"Nicodemus and his ilk were clearly in violation of my Accords, and obviously planning to abuse them to further his ambition.  That is reason enough to see his designs disrupted.  And among the Fallen was one with much to answer for to me, personally, for its an attack upon my home."
Harry says Hell Fire was used on Arctis Tor, and on page 403, Thorned Namshiel is mentioned, and Mab loses it..  In her rage she says;
"I am Sidhe,"she hissed.  "I am Queen of Air and Darkness.  I am Mab." Her chin lifted, her eyes wide and white around the rippling colors of her irises---utterly insane. And I repay my debts, mortal.  All of them."
It may take a while, but revenge is a dish best served cold, she is the Winter Queen, so Thorny will pay at some point and Marcone with him. 

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 08, 2022, 11:09:23 AM »
If it was Namshiel, if it is, Mab would REALLY want that coin giving Marcone something significant to bargain with. Which leads us back to the theory that Marcone will ask for and get the Kringle Mantle free from vassalage to Mab. Marcone is a Member of the Accords, not Namshiel, so she can’t turn on Marcone

A single Denarian is no match for Mab even Marcone/Namshiel especially now Mab knows, and Marcone would rather negotiate, especially if it gets him the power and immortality he wants without ties to Namshiel or Mab.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 08, 2022, 04:02:37 PM »
If it was Namshiel, if it is, Mab would REALLY want that coin giving Marcone something significant to bargain with.

What on earth would Mab have to offer Marcone?  He now has a fallen angel at his back, a wizard to boot, Marcone is about power, all about power.. 

A single Denarian is no match for Mab even Marcone/Namshiel especially now Mab knows, and Marcone would rather negotiate, especially if it gets him the power and immortality he wants without ties to Namshiel or Mab.

I disagree, of Mab could easily have taken on one of the Fallen, she would have taken out Andriel.  She didn't, instead she went for an elaborate plan to diminish Nic, but not kill him, thus releasing the coin to go to someone else.