Author Topic: Guess a Mother's Name!  (Read 2029 times)

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Guess a Mother's Name!
« on: November 21, 2021, 03:12:33 AM »
Winter=Nyx?

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Guess a Mother's Name!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 03:17:15 AM »
Summer=Gaia?

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 11:15:26 AM »
The Mothers are in fact Mantles, distinguishable from the persons who wear them, and the Mantles names are Mother Winter and Mother Summer. Their creation is relatively recent in linear time, following the handover of the Defence of the Outer Gates from the Greco/Roman pantheon to the Courts of Fairie. As a Mantle they are an artificial unit of power and the power used to create them may have come from multiple different sources rather than a single source.

The persons currently wearing the Mantles are therefore NOT necessarily analogous to any mythological being who may have undertaken a similar role to that of the Mantle, they may have been a lesser being who took on the Mantle, such as Mab when she took on the Winter Queen Mantle. PT suggests she comes from later Arthurian Myth, and was originally a mortal. The Kringle Mantle is currently held by Odin, which name would you summon that entity by?

Harry took an educated guess at the being who took up the Mother Winter Mantle, and was close enough to get her attention, if not summon her, but then again Harry has a singular knack for annoying people and getting their negative attention. I think seriously it is a spirit magic talent he isn’t aware of, to know what will get under the skin of any particular individual, and do it either subconsciously or consciously.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 07:25:21 AM »
The Mothers are in fact Mantles, distinguishable from the persons who wear them, and the Mantles names are Mother Winter and Mother Summer. Their creation is relatively recent in linear time, following the handover of the Defence of the Outer Gates from the Greco/Roman pantheon to the Courts of Fairie. As a Mantle they are an artificial unit of power and the power used to create them may have come from multiple different sources rather than a single source.

The persons currently wearing the Mantles are therefore NOT necessarily analogous to any mythological being who may have undertaken a similar role to that of the Mantle, they may have been a lesser being who took on the Mantle, such as Mab when she took on the Winter Queen Mantle. PT suggests she comes from later Arthurian Myth, and was originally a mortal. The Kringle Mantle is currently held by Odin, which name would you summon that entity by?

Harry took an educated guess at the being who took up the Mother Winter Mantle, and was close enough to get her attention, if not summon her, but then again Harry has a singular knack for annoying people and getting their negative attention. I think seriously it is a spirit magic talent he isn’t aware of, to know what will get under the skin of any particular individual, and do it either subconsciously or consciously.
that's actually @$$ backwards. The mothers are true creatures(well, MW is, MS isn't the original) who's form changed based on mantles they broke off from their own power. The beings don't change, only our understanding of them/how we perceive them.
It's heavily implied that together, they are the Source. They are Gaia in the old school meaning, not just a planet, but part and parcel of reality itself. Most of your conjecture is countered by woj on the mothers btw..
And you'd summon kringle by using kringle or whatever his truest name is. Like with Molly, holding him by that name doesn't actually hold him, it only holds that identity. Considering it's a lesser identity vadderung might just step right out of that circle and wallop them.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 02:18:00 AM »
It's heavily implied that together, they are the Source. They are Gaia in the old school meaning, not just a planet, but part and parcel of reality itself.

But isn't it also heavily implied that the Queens together are Hecate, from the triple-goddess statue in Hades' vault? And from MW being the original, I suspect the Mother Winter fragment was what the Hecate personality kept for herself when dividing the mantles.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 12:35:35 AM »
But isn't it also heavily implied that the Queens together are Hecate, from the triple-goddess statue in Hades' vault? And from MW being the original, I suspect the Mother Winter fragment was what the Hecate personality kept for herself when dividing the mantles.
I don't know, I suspect Hecate herself to have been formed from our understanding of older primordials. I think Hecate was the formation they took when backing the Greek pantheon, and that's why it's so interconnected to the Mother/queen identity. Classically there is some confusion about if Gaia is a titan, pretitan, or just a Godling. I'm thinking pretitan, primordial being.
The exact composition is complicated, but I think it went something like MS=creator MW=destroyer and that third one would have represented life, or more accurately perhaps, fate. That which accures in-between. There are other parallels found between Gaia and Nemesis/Gaia's dark reflection(I don't know if you've ever played legend of Gaia for SNES, but that's pretty much the same composite. Or look for the RL theory on Nemesis sending extinction level events across the sector towards Gaia.. many parallels to be drawn on)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 02:54:48 PM »
I would say that the Old Norse Pantheon were the previous guardians of the Outer Gates. Vadderungs/Odins Eye being passed on to the Gatekeeper, possibly the sameway Mother Winters Blackstaff was passed on to Ebenezar. Theirs also evidence within the Pantheon itself. Heimdall guards the realm of the Gods using something similar to a Way. I also think the Einnherjaars, half of all dead warriors original purpose was to Guard the Outer Gates the same way Winters Troops do now.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2021, 06:41:28 PM »
This is pretty well known from details in the books.. but I'm not sure what this actually has to do with the conversation in this thread so far?