Author Topic: Demonreach question  (Read 4557 times)

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Demonreach question
« on: November 17, 2021, 04:23:47 PM »
How were the serious beings contained in Deamonreach contained in the first place?  Once they were aware of what would happen to them if they went to Demonreach why would any serious bad guy be willing to go there?

Was there one massive snatch early in DR’s history?  Seriously, how did the prison get filled?
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Demonreach question
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 04:35:41 PM »
There is no official book or WoJ on this so I can only guess that most were bound elsewhere and transferred to the island to be held there.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Demonreach questio
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 05:30:36 PM »
There is a huge summoning ring on Demonreach, it was shown in Cold Days.

If you know the true names of the being you are targeting you just summon them.

Ethnui obviously isn’t the Titans True Name and Harry didn’t have decades to find it out and compose a summoning ceremony. He could do a binding with the name Ethnui with the aid of the Spear and at Demonreach’s ultimate extension.

The other point is we don’t know what the Crown of Thorns can do, I have posited that it is a god level set of thorn manacles. If Harry can figure out what it can do (and it surprised me he had figured out the placard) and it is what I have posited, then Harry can go out and use it to depower potential foes, to transport them to Demonreach, whip it off and put them down, as an alternative to creating a summoning.

Harry is actually good at Summoning, Mother Winter, The Summer Queen, and the Winter Lady were all summoned, as was the Goblin King. He didn’t think he stood a chance summoning Ethnui, so didn’t try. He disn’t Have time to ascertain what he needed.

I suspect though after taking some one down he can control the released and summon them back easily via the summoning circle should he need to. Ethnui is is crude prison parlance Harry’s “Bitch”.

Summoning Marcone/Namshiel Jim has given us clues all along -in his description of the character, a stack of dollar bills for the colour of his eyes, a luxury yachting cap for the yachting tan (preferably owned by Marone), an expensively tailored suit made by Marcone’s tailor ro Marcone’s measurements , a well balanced throwing knife used to kill, a tiger for its soul and Helen Beckitt’s daughter at the centre. Harry knows this after the soul gaze and investigation of Marcone over many years.

Ever wonder why Jim repeats certain things in Harry’s descriptions of characters? I bet it is actually Harry’s subconscious making the assessment for summoning and binding. His subconscious is much smarter than his conscious.

Marcone isn’t Marcone’s real name, when Harry finds that out he can summon him, with everything he knows about Marcone, and with him Namshiel, from Demonreach.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 06:10:09 PM »
Marcone isn’t Marcone’s real name, when Harry finds that out he can summon him, with everything he knows about Marcone, and with him Namshiel, from Demonreach.

Oh I believe it is, Harry has called him by his first name as well.  I think if Marcone had another name Harry would have found out what it was when they had that soul gaze so many years ago.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 07:13:38 PM »
How were the serious beings contained in Deamonreach contained in the first place?  Once they were aware of what would happen to them if they went to Demonreach why would any serious bad guy be willing to go there?

Was there one massive snatch early in DR’s history?  Seriously, how did the prison get filled?
It took the combined effort of a bunch of demigods and wizards to get one Titan into the crystal. Do you buy into the idea that you can just summon some of them, assuming that you knew their true name? I'll offer some ideas that don't even rise to a WAG.

Go smack some demigod on the nose and then run,  And when he chases you lead him back to the circle.  Which would make the circle a bear trap. See Jeremiah Johnson for details.

Go to the future and build the empty prison in multiple times and then start the apocalypse. As you trap them you use the power of the ones you trap to snatch the rest, rinse and repeat. Bonus points if you create a timeline where they no longer exist.

That's all I got.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 07:54:15 PM »
Why yes I do using the full power of Demonreach  (which Harry can’t yet and the right info.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 08:37:38 PM »
I get the impression that summoning is more knocking on the door than forcing an appearance.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 08:57:04 PM »
Why yes I do using the full power of Demonreach  (which Harry can’t yet and the right info.
I'll state the obvious and say that if the prison is empty then you can't use the full power.
I get the impression that summoning is more knocking on the door than forcing an appearance.
It didn't appear that way in Dead Beat.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 10:35:47 PM »
It didn't appear that way in Dead Beat.

It did in Cold Days. Harry wondered if Titania would actually show.

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 09:38:43 AM »
It depends upon how perfect and powerful the summoning is. The mention of a name ‘Hades’ is enough to get attention, but to command appearance and bind requires much more planning and thought.

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 09:49:30 PM »
It did in Cold Days. Harry wondered if Titania would actually show.

Harry doesn't know Titania's true name = knock on door. He had a book telling him the Erlking's true name = command to appear.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 08:07:39 PM »
Harry doesn't know Titania's true name = knock on door. He had a book telling him the Erlking's true name = command to appear.

We don’t know that with certainty.  That is speculation at best.

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2021, 01:11:17 AM »
Controlling an inhuman being via its Name is a shady area of magic, only one step removed from taking over the will of another mortal. According to the White Council's Seven Laws of Magic, that's a capital crime—and they make zero-tolerance policies look positively lenient.
By Summer Knight it is pretty much fleshed out as canon, subject to the needs of the story. Although he almost never refers back to it, the method of calling out to Toot for instance is laid out in Storm Front.  If you know the name you can make a connection.  If you have the will you can compel the creature you are summoning.  The circle traps them.  This is the basis for summoning the Earl King in Dead Beat. The text of Die Lied der Erlking is his true name.

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2021, 04:07:10 AM »
Really big sticky tape they try to run over and get trapped

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2021, 05:07:52 AM »
Oh I believe it is, Harry has called him by his first name as well.  I think if Marcone had another name Harry would have found out what it was when they had that soul gaze so many years ago.
Read the Even Hand short story, Marcone flatly tells the reader (i.e. us) that his real name isn't John Marcone.