Author Topic: What About Bonea?  (Read 3218 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
What About Bonea?
« on: November 16, 2021, 01:46:42 AM »
A lot of people have complained about the way Bonea is being treated in Peace Talks/Battle Ground, more as an afterthought to be stuffed in a bowling bag than Harry’s younger daughter. A lot is made of the gifts for Maggie, and making sure she has a good Christmas in Christmas Eve, but not a peep on Bonea.

It’s fine to treat Bob as a talking head, it’s what he was introduced for but Bonea is Harry’s daughter, she needs to be treated as such.

Part of the problem is that Bonea is a disembodied spirit living in a wooden replica skull, it limits her interaction with the story and with other characters.

We know Bob can possess Mister and even a statue. He can use magic as he empowers Butters devices. Surely Bonea can summon ectoplasm from the Never Never and make herself a body around the skull based on the body image we saw in Harry’s subconscious in Skin Game? It would allow her to interact with Harry and Maggie in a more human fashion, to be a proper playmate for her sister and a daughter for Harry.

She would have body memory from her parents, so would be able to navigate her new form, and aside from dawn it would be stable. She would merely have to make sure that she wasn’t embodied over dawn somewhere inconvenient.

She also has memories of food from her parents (she would know exactly how many Burger King burgers Harry had eaten up to her birth) and could create from ectoplasm fairy food to simulate exact taste and texture and therefore enjoy food along with her family (see Skin Game on how communal eating is a bonding exercise).

If something like this occurred it would have to after Christmas Eve in Next Book, but that would be consistent, that story marks the nadir of Harry’s depression and PTSD, until Kringle provides a literal cup of good cheer (yes I think that was another deliberate play on words brought to life by Jim, as it has Christmas associations). On an upswing, Harry is suddenly able to connect with his second daughter like he couldn’t before.

What other ways could Bonea be brought into the narrative?

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: What About Bonea?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 02:54:26 AM »
That particular chekov's gun is still waiting to go off. Bonea will be important, but possibly just in a shoe horn way. One and done.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 04:55:39 AM »
That particular chekov's gun is still waiting to go off. Bonea will be important, but possibly just in a shoe horn way. One and done.

She will figure out a way to blow up Harry's engagement. 8)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 03:29:34 PM »
Bonea's already been important.  And will be important again. Her childlike demeanor keeps her in sight and out of the story.  She is the key to one of the early unsolved mysteries.  She's sophisticated enough to bargain with Demonreach and Mab.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 05:18:02 PM »
She will figure out a way to blow up Harry's engagement. 8)

Lara “you mean you have two kids you haven’t told me about!” “I have been catfished!”

Bonea obviously has a cache of knowledge about the Denarians which only they would have, she may know things even Thorned Namshiel didn’t have access  to as Nicky/ Anduriel kept him and his host on a short leash. She may know more than anyone but Nicky/Anduriel about their business and plans. She also knows from Harry the one way to kill Nicky which no one else may know.

Marcone certainly used what Namshiel knew in Skin Game against Nicky,

Harry of course will not ask her, and keep on using her as a recipe book.

I hope she isn’t just going to sit on a shelf gathering dust until the next Denarian book.

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 05:43:09 PM »
I'm not sure why so many people get hung up on the fact that Bonea is Harry's "daughter." Yes, she is a creation between Harry and Lash, but she was not created by any physical action. I really don't see Harry thinking about her as his child. I know I don't.

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 06:20:29 PM »
Childlike Minds tend to be evil in movies. Maybe it will take over Maggie and become a destructive force

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 06:31:26 PM »
I'm not sure why so many people get hung up on the fact that Bonea is Harry's "daughter." Yes, she is a creation between Harry and Lash, but she was not created by any physical action. I really don't see Harry thinking about her as his child. I know I don't.
Because Jim milks the humor of Harry being pregnant for all its worth.  And because they currently don't have anything else to amuse themselves with in the Dresdenverse.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2021, 06:47:30 PM »

Harry's subconscious see her as his child so on some level Harry really believes she is. Their conversation in CD centered around introducing her and the theme was "Protect the offspring".

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 06:52:01 PM »
While I'm sure Bonea can possess items and people, I doubt she can manifest a body. Bob hasn't to date and the only spirit-like beings that we have seen do it are ghosts(And by testimony from the ectomancer, only insane ghosts do it.)

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2021, 11:55:01 PM »
Mouse could carry her skull ok a small container shaped like a barrel. I'm not sure it would allow more interaction, but it would be cute :-)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2021, 12:09:24 AM »
It’s the traditional way for something in the Never Never to manifest in the mortal world - create a body from ectoplasm.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2021, 04:54:00 AM »
Bonea isn't in the Never Never, neither is Bob. You'd think that Bob would have manifested a body to go bar trolling on one of those nights Harry let him out if he could. But neither he nor Evil Bob has done so onscreen. I don't think it's a matter of power but one of ability. Having never possessed a physical body themselves somehow bars them from creating one but the ghost can because they once had bodies.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2021, 11:07:43 AM »
Bob was shown being able to cross over into the Never Never in Ghost Story, he doesn’t need to go back, unlike Evil Bob, because he has a Sanctum

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2021, 04:16:28 PM »
Bob was shown being able to cross over into the Never Never in Ghost Story, he doesn’t need to go back, unlike Evil Bob, because he has a Sanctum

Bob always has been able to cross over into the Nevernever, I believe he did that in Grave Peril, going there isn't the issue for him, running into Mab is..  He did something that was so offensive that he fears running into her so he stays out of the Nevernever unless forced to go there for some very good reason.