Author Topic: Mortal memory discussion  (Read 1983 times)

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
Mortal memory discussion
« on: November 11, 2021, 11:08:15 PM »
OK, I've had a curious thought about mortal memory in the Dresdenverse. The setup behind this thought was remembering a possible book or rumored book coming up in the series. The premise behind the book is Harry goes to sleep and wakes up in an insane asylum. The world he wakes in he is not a wizard, he has no magic, he is just a normal human being. Every one around him is people he knows but are part of this new world. Like Eb is there with him but is a patient too. And Mab, Molly, and Sarrisa are nurses. Just examples of possibilities. And of course this is all in Harry's mind.

So, here is what I'm curious about and wondered what other people's thoughts are. We now have it where Murphy and Hendricks are dead. With Harry's memories being screwed with, if they were to show up in his mind to help out and fight what I would assume would be a mental attack on Harry's mind, would that be breaking the rule of no returning until mortal memory has faded. It would just be Harry's mind they would be, not the real world.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline apgrey

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Mortal memory discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 12:42:33 AM »
  I think there might have been a fanfiction with that plot.

APG

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 12:51:51 AM »
Aside from this being too much of a trope, I am not sure it is going to be used in the series, nor that it can sustain a full novel, and there are are lots of stories Jim has set up. Short story perhaps with a monster who deliberately uses tropes as traps perhaps, with Harry turning the tables. But hey, if we get a further extra novel I won’t complain.

Better use it in a Goodman Grey Story, where he isn’t a monster but a normal man so that the realisation at the end is perhaps he preferred being an insane mortal to a sane monster.

We have had several instances of various beings mucking around with Harry’s memory to forget his blasting rod, or that he hired someone to kill him. If figments of Murphy or Hendricks were created I don’t think this would be them it would be more like Lash creating the Sheila persona and memories. Sheila wasn’t real, neither would be this Murphy.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 02:23:03 AM »
Saying this in case I wasn't clear. Maybe I was, maybe I wasn't. The Murphy and Hendricks that Harry would come in contact with would be the real Murphy and Hendricks, not fake constructs made by the bad person. They would have to play along with the rules of the mind, but guide Harry to figuring everything out.

As I said, the idea behind the this was from a possible rumored book. And with Murphy now gone, the idea popped into my head and wondered what other people's thoughts were.

But I do get what you mean about the trope
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 08:29:16 AM »
A bit Twilight Zone-ish... looking up at the deformed doctors?

Well, better than Murphy walking out of Harry's shower wrapped in a towel...

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 11:38:12 AM »
A bit Twilight Zone-ish... looking up at the deformed doctors?

Well, better than Murphy walking out of Harry's shower wrapped in a towel...

Or what?  Harry dressed as his mother stabbing her to death in his shower? 

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 06:53:47 AM »
Or what?  Harry dressed as his mother stabbing her to death in his shower?

Well, he DOES wear her amulet... jewelry is a start....

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 04:15:58 PM »
Well, he DOES wear her amulet... jewelry is a start....

But you know where mom was don't you?  She had been dead ten years, sitting in a rocking chair in the mansion.. ::)

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 08:43:20 AM »
But you know where mom was don't you?  She had been dead ten years, sitting in a rocking chair in the mansion.. ::)

Better than Faulkner's A Rose for Emily.....