Author Topic: Meaning of the Name "Harry" in Hebrew. . .  (Read 6969 times)

Offline Sethwinslow

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Meaning of the Name "Harry" in Hebrew. . .
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2021, 02:02:09 AM »

I was looking up for laughs and giggles what the name of my dog, " Princess Buttercup" means.. Basically  "Buttercup is a humble sweet creature and she is that.. Then since my American black Lab's name is "Harry Barry Blackdog," out of curiosity I looked it up to see what "Harry" means.. What I found is interesting, in Hebrew it means "house protector or protector of the home," which sort of fits my dog, but more so Harry Dresden.  More interesting is "Harry" can also mean, "army commander."  Now this one really fits Harry Dresden if you believe that Harry is destined to be the "commander" against the Outsiders in the BAT.. Wonder if Jim looked that up and had that in mind when he chose the name, "Harry," or is it just a coincidence, because he was named after the magician as his father had told him?  Or both?

Hebrew speaker here.  I’m sorry to rain on your parade, but Harry is NOT a Hebrew name, and the closest Hebrew word is “haray,” which means “with this.”  (It’s part of the Hebrew wedding vow, “with this ring I thee wed.”

If you search for the Hebrew meeting of Harry as a name, you get Khatriel, which means “crown of God.”  It doesn’t sound like Harry, and it’s not remotely close to Harry.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2021, 11:08:56 AM »
Hebrew speaker here.  I’m sorry to rain on your parade, but Harry is NOT a Hebrew name, and the closest Hebrew word is “haray,” which means “with this.”  (It’s part of the Hebrew wedding vow, “with this ring I thee wed.”

If you search for the Hebrew meeting of Harry as a name, you get Khatriel, which means “crown of God.”  It doesn’t sound like Harry, and it’s not remotely close to Harry.

I won't argue, because I don't know Hebrew, as I said when I first posted it, I had looked up what my dog, Buttercup's name meant, and for laughs and giggles also my dog, Harry's name.  I was surprised when it said the name was of Hebrew origin, but was more interested in what it said the name meant, because that fit who or what Harry is.  I just Googled it a minute ago after reading your post and got the below..  If anything it is an illustration on how while a great research tool, what you learn on the internet does have to be taken with a grain of salt.. ;)

Home ruler
Meaning: The meaning of the name Harry is: Home ruler. It is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Katriel is "my crown is God".

Google can screw up..  I also got;

Harry means “home ruler” (from Germanic “hagan” = enclosure or “heim” = home + “rihhi” = powerful/rich/mighty/ruler) and descending from Harold, it means “leader of the army” (from Old English “here” = army + “weald” = power/ruler/leader or “wealdan” = to rule).

Here is the more likely cause for the confusion, according to the "Jewish Lexicon";

Etymology

Likely from "Harry," an English given name common among English-speaking Jews, used pejoratively to imply that the subject is less devout because he goes by an English name instead of a Hebrew or Yiddish one.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 11:34:59 AM by Mira »

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2021, 12:45:27 PM »
You make it sound that Harry is destined to lead an army and live in a fortress. Never going to happen.

Neither is it likely that he will have the “Crown of God”.

Sometimes a name is merely a label with no deeper significance.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2021, 01:18:47 PM »
You make it sound that Harry is destined to lead an army and live in a fortress. Never going to happen.

Oh  I think Harry will lead an army in the BAT, heck he already has in Battle Ground, under his banner he lead a civilian army against the Titian and the Fomor..

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2021, 02:47:46 PM »
You do realise “irony” isn’t like “coppery” or “silvery” ;D

He lives in a fortress and has lead an army.

Thank goodness he doesn’t control any sort of Crown, which has previously resided on the head of God, or any aspect thereto. That would be a very thorny issue.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2021, 07:18:18 PM »

he already has the crown of god as matter of fact sir.(with that thorny pun how could you not?)Perhaps your disbelief would be better suspended while we make theories here. It's really never disproven anything, ever. Though, I think the flat earthers might be close to bending reality to their collective will.
On another note of names, Jim absolutely hides meaning in names. Rashid, a previous"version" of Dresden means "right guided one" in Arabic actually.
As to the tin foil theory of why that name,he's got to end up the firmament of reality, he who holds it down and makes it his own personal home. I'd bet my bottom dollar
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 07:22:27 PM by The_Sibelis »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2021, 08:04:12 PM »
It depends on whether a character was designed or evolved.

Offline Paviel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2021, 01:47:25 AM »
And Dresden is a gender neutral German name meaning the People in the Forest by the River. Obviously Harry is descended from Bigfeet, and explains why we hear nothing about Eb’s wife.

Next you will be wondering why so many characters have names beginning with ‘M’. This way lies madness.

Dresden is also the name of a German city that was firebombed in World War II. Quite an appropriate surname for a wizard who specializes in fire magic.