Author Topic: “Peace Talks” Audiobook question:  (Read 2254 times)

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
“Peace Talks” Audiobook question:
« on: November 15, 2021, 08:51:59 PM »
When did Ramirez develop a Southern instead of a slight Latino accent?
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: “Peace Talks” Audiobook question:
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 09:11:49 PM »
When James Marsters forgot it, or was embarrassed to do it as cultural appropriation.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 09:38:24 PM »
When James Marsters forgot it, or was embarrassed to do it as cultural appropriation.

I wondered about the latter.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 10:09:36 PM »
I think the latter.

However, if that applies to Carlos character, it must surely apply to Toot and Lacuna. Just because they are “Little Folk” it is inappropriate to portray them with ridiculously high voices. They need to stand up and voice their displeasure at this misrepresentation (in their ridiculously high voices)

Offline Basil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 02:26:06 AM »
I agree Marsters has changed the accent a bit. 

Originally, I would have made Ramirez' accent to be LA Latino, but more recently I'm getting a more East or South East Texas Latino. 

We Texans don't sound particularly southern to true southerners.  But what we sound like to Yankees, God only knows. 

P.S. I doubt cultural appropriation factors into it at all. And, in any event...  On behalf of all Texas, I grant him free reign and license to appropriate any Texan accent he pleases for any purpose whatsoever.  So say we all. 

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 05:25:24 PM »
His Brit accent is great, no complaint here on all the evil English accent  villains Harry writes (personal theory, Harry has watched way to many films with English actors as Villains, any telepathic voice from a villain is automatically ascribed an English accent by his subconscious, which is way smarter than his conscious).

James Marsters of course played the villainous Spike with an English accent, which reinforced Harry’s bias.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 06:00:31 PM »
I agree Marsters has changed the accent a bit. 

Originally, I would have made Ramirez' accent to be LA Latino, but more recently I'm getting a more East or South East Texas Latino. 

We Texans don't sound particularly southern to true southerners.  But what we sound like to Yankees, God only knows. 

P.S. I doubt cultural appropriation factors into it at all. And, in any event...  On behalf of all Texas, I grant him free reign and license to appropriate any Texan accent he pleases for any purpose whatsoever.  So say we all.

But isn’t Ramirez established to be from LA… not Texas?

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Basil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 12:17:30 AM »
But isn’t Ramirez established to be from LA… not Texas?

He was stationed in LA, I'm not sure it's ever been established where he grew up.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 01:10:41 AM »
I thought there was a mention of reaching him on the phone via leaving a message at his family's restaurant at one point ... IIRC that was mentioned to be in LA, but not sure.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2021, 01:26:46 AM »
You are correct, but Carlos is of Spanish rather than Latino descent.

His model is Zorro.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2021, 08:34:05 PM »
And in Battle Ground it goes back to normal.  Geez.

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2021, 05:04:10 AM »
You are correct, but Carlos is of Spanish rather than Latino descent.

His model is Zorro.

If Ramirez grew up in So. Cal, it wouldn't make any difference.  He would speak like everyone else he went to school with.  I've seen situations just like this occur on more than one occasion.

Getting back to the OP, go back and listen to the way Marsters plays Rashid from novel to novel.  It changes in almost every book. 
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2021, 05:44:33 AM »
Official  description is that he looks “classically Spanish” , as a character he is introduced in 2003 in Death Masks but is properly realised in Death Masks in 2005.

The Mask of Zorro starring Spanish Actor Antonio Banderas debuted in 1998, and I would like to think Jim used that performance as a model of the character. However Shrek 2 debuted With Puss In Boots voiced by Banderas as an over sexualised and bombastic but ultimately competent parody of his Zorro character and that debuted in 2004, when Jim would have been writing Death Masks, so he could used that for the model for Carlos. You would have to compare the two performances against how Carlos is written to make a decision, but I suspect Jim has watched both films several times.

Remember Bob The Skull was inspired by a cartoon floating Skull in the Titles of Scooby Doo, when Jim perversely wanted to annoy his Professor with an actual talking head, so never underestimate the power of cartoons.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2021, 07:00:54 PM »
If Ramirez grew up in So. Cal, it wouldn't make any difference.  He would speak like everyone else he went to school with.  I've seen situations just like this occur on more than one occasion.

Getting back to the OP, go back and listen to the way Marsters plays Rashid from novel to novel.  It changes in almost every book.

His pronunciation of “Maeve” changed from Summer Knight to the books after.

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC