Author Topic: Harry creates a portal to Demonreach!  (Read 22734 times)

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Harry creates a portal to Demonreach!
« Reply #120 on: December 08, 2021, 12:50:12 PM »
Talk to Ivy about what

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2021, 04:02:20 PM »
Talk to Ivy about what
The weather, cats, why he chose to use Kincaid in such a way as to drive a wedge between him and Ivy.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2021, 04:27:50 PM »
Uhh, he kinda expected to be dead. He wasn't in his right mind.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 08, 2021, 06:22:05 PM »
Uhh, he kinda expected to be dead. He wasn't in his right mind.

No, he wasn't, he was suicidal, suicidal people usually do not look beyond or cannot look beyond their own pain or predicament. 

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 08, 2021, 11:17:50 PM »
Suicide is complex and Jim cheated.  It made good drama but it leaves the impression that Jim has never had to deal with the aftermath of one.

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2021, 01:39:19 AM »
It. Was. For. His. Daughter. He truly believed he was going to be a monster.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 09, 2021, 05:29:32 AM »
It. Was. For. His. Daughter. He truly believed he was going to be a monster.
I understand the story quite well.  And I've read Ghost Story. Answer me this, what is Ghost Story about?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 09, 2021, 11:57:22 AM »
I understand the story quite well.  And I've read Ghost Story. Answer me this, what is Ghost Story about?

I think it was to teach Harry that even if he is the Winter Knight, that doesn't make him a monster, unless he lets himself become a monster.  He isn't Mab's plaything.  Yes, it was an interesting story, if Changes ended an era for Harry as Chicago's Wizard Private Eye, Ghost Story set into motion many of the plot threads for the rest of the series.
Suicide is complex and Jim cheated.  It made good drama but it leaves the impression that Jim has never had to deal with the aftermath of one.

No, he treated it as a plot device, no different than most fiction writers..  What he got right I think is the fact that most suicidal people cannot see beyond their own pain, which for them has become more than they can tolerate.  Suicidal people either don't think of the pain their death will cause those left behind or in their sick mental state think that their death will benefit those left behind. That is the essence and simplistic view of it, I know this from experience.. When I think of my son,
I think if he could come back like Harry, he say to me,"Gee Mom, I didn't know that this would hurt you so much."
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 12:10:36 PM by Mira »

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2021, 03:49:10 AM »
I think it showed how important Harry truly is that Mab would risk herself and Demonreacheach to save Harry

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2021, 04:19:16 AM »
I think it showed how important Harry truly is that Mab would risk herself and Demonreacheach to save Harry

I agree, she isn't one to do something out of the kindness of her heart.  I can see her saving him to get her proper revenge later at her convenience, which she could have done apparently, as in heal him fairly rapidly.  However she was overruled by Uriel, who wanted to teach Harry some important lessons.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2021, 06:50:17 PM »
Harry could have used Rashid's Way to leave if he really wanted to. He stayed on Demonreach to suppress the headaches.

He did, but when Mab came to take him off the island in Skin Game, she used a speed boat.  She could have used the Way that Rashid used and brought Harry back that way, but she didn't. 

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2021, 07:22:40 PM »
It may be there is only a very, very, specific part of the island that is at all accessible via the Never Never and Mab doesn’t trust him with that info, or has another reason not to use it.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2021, 09:48:23 PM »
It may be there is only a very, very, specific part of the island that is at all accessible via the Never Never and Mab doesn’t trust him with that info, or has another reason not to use it.

Then she doesn't know about his mother's jewel, if I remember correctly it's a map of all the Ways in the Nevernever.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2021, 10:13:21 PM »
Then she doesn't know about his mother's jewel, if I remember correctly it's a map of all the Ways in the Nevernever.
It is a map of the ways his mother knew, not all the ways.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 10, 2021, 11:25:31 PM »
Yes she travelled extensively, more so than any other wizard than the Gatekeeper, but she probably  never travelled to Demonreach, never had to probably never even heard of it.