Author Topic: Meaning of the Name "Harry" in Hebrew. . .  (Read 6967 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Meaning of the Name "Harry" in Hebrew. . .
« on: October 22, 2021, 05:16:34 PM »

I was looking up for laughs and giggles what the name of my dog, " Princess Buttercup" means.. Basically  "Buttercup is a humble sweet creature and she is that.. Then since my American black Lab's name is "Harry Barry Blackdog," out of curiosity I looked it up to see what "Harry" means.. What I found is interesting, in Hebrew it means "house protector or protector of the home," which sort of fits my dog, but more so Harry Dresden.  More interesting is "Harry" can also mean, "army commander."  Now this one really fits Harry Dresden if you believe that Harry is destined to be the "commander" against the Outsiders in the BAT.. Wonder if Jim looked that up and had that in mind when he chose the name, "Harry," or is it just a coincidence, because he was named after the magician as his father had told him?  Or both?

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Meaning of the Name "Harry" in Hebrew. . .
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 05:52:53 PM »
I like it, but...

A few years back I was one of the proponents who was tracking down the meanings of angelic names of the Fallen, using Uriels offence at the 'el' being taken out of his name.

Search lead me and a few others down a rabbit hole including Ancient Babylonian names and meanings. Jim later referenced the theory on a panel "As long as I don't have to learn Ancient Babylonian". or something to that effect.

I tend to believe the magician name thing mostly because Blackstone and Copperfield don't seem to have any additional esoteric meanings beyond also being named after magicians. Plus its just silly enough to be Dresden Files esque.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 07:28:17 PM »
It’s Harry after Harry Houdini, seems he is named by a stage magician father after the three stage magicians he most admired.

In an alternate universe Siegfried Roy Maskelyne Dresden is the Wizard of Chicago.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 08:06:30 PM »
It’s Harry after Harry Houdini, seems he is named by a stage magician father after the three stage magicians he most admired.

In an alternate universe Siegfried Roy Maskelyne Dresden is the Wizard of Chicago.

Yes, I know all of that, but I am more than tempted to believe that it is no coincidence that "Harry" had the alternative Hebrew meaning of "military commander."  Heck in Battle Ground that is exactly what he was, with the people of Chicago following under his banner... He is Za'Lord to his own effective little army of pixies..

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 09:38:57 PM »
And Dresden is a gender neutral German name meaning the People in the Forest by the River. Obviously Harry is descended from Bigfeet, and explains why we hear nothing about Eb’s wife.

Next you will be wondering why so many characters have names beginning with ‘M’. This way lies madness.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 10:19:43 PM »
And Dresden is a gender neutral German name meaning the People in the Forest by the River. Obviously Harry is descended from Bigfeet, and explains why we hear nothing about Eb’s wife.

Next you will be wondering why so many characters have names beginning with ‘M’. This way lies madness.

Well, actually on one level that makes sense, Harry is six foot nine, give or take an inch.. Eb seems to be average height, or nothing has been said that he is short or tall. Malcolm may have been tall, but not much is said, Thomas isn't tall, I think it was said that Margaret was tall... So... Oh one mor thing about Harry's name, why is it that he has stressed on more than one occasion the importance and power of names?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 10:21:19 PM by Mira »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 10:51:48 PM »
Because a true name gives control. Harry had part of Mother Winters name and was able to summon her.

In Mirror Mirror, I presume Mirror Harry is able summon Longshot Harry without a grotesque display of power, because he knows his name and has baited the summoning circle with a Burger King Burger,  a Coke, The Lord of the Rings etc. Going Home is likely the problem going home for Longshot Harry, much more power required than a summoning.

Mirror Harry wouldn’t therefore be able to summon Siegfried Roy Maskelyne Dresden (very like Longshot Harry, but Mister is a small White a Tiger) because he doesn’t know his name.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 03:59:02 AM »

I was looking up for laughs and giggles what the name of my dog, " Princess Buttercup" means.. Basically  "Buttercup is a humble sweet creature and she is that.. Then since my American black Lab's name is "Harry Barry Blackdog," out of curiosity I looked it up to see what "Harry" means.. What I found is interesting, in Hebrew it means "house protector or protector of the home," which sort of fits my dog, but more so Harry Dresden.  More interesting is "Harry" can also mean, "army commander."  Now this one really fits Harry Dresden if you believe that Harry is destined to be the "commander" against the Outsiders in the BAT.. Wonder if Jim looked that up and had that in mind when he chose the name, "Harry," or is it just a coincidence, because he was named after the magician as his father had told him?  Or both?

haha I love how your dog is named Princess Buttercup, that's awesome. I also like your other dogs name.  Very good choices.

My opinion is that he's named after Harry Houdini.  It may just be an incredible coincidence that it means "house protector, and or commander" because it is a really good match for Dresden.  Or maybe the name was chosen for it's meaning.  Pretty cool though.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 04:40:50 AM »
haha I love how your dog is named Princess Buttercup, that's awesome. I also like your other dogs name.  Very good choices.

My opinion is that he's named after Harry Houdini.  It may just be an incredible coincidence that it means "house protector, and or commander" because it is a really good match for Dresden.  Or maybe the name was chosen for it's meaning.  Pretty cool though.

Princess Buttercup is a very sweet and pretty mostly yellow Lab mix.. She and her two sisters were dumped at the side of the road at about four months of age. All three were full of ticks and dehydrated before someone too pity and picked them up.  She loves babies and children in general, she is also a decent cadaver dog when I can get her to concentrate.  Mr Harry Barry, is very much like our Harry Dresden, as an American Lab he is tall and leggy, has LOTS of energy, very vocal, very loving, he is my cuddle pup, very sensitive, he is also a fantastic area search dog, he only knows one speed though, very fast..

I get who Harry was named after Harry Houdini, and David Copperfield as well, it has been said often enough.  But I also agree with Mab about coincidences.. Interesting origins of names..

Molly ;
sea of bitterness
Molly (also spelled Molli or Mollie) is a diminutive of the Hebrew feminine name Mary. It may less commonly be used as a diminutive for popular feminine names that begin with M, such as Margaret, Martha, Martina or Melinda. It most commonly means “sea of bitterness”, “star of the sea”, or “rebelliousness/rebellion”.

That fits her, especially the rebellious part.

Carlos means "free man."

Michael means;
who is like God?
Origin: The name Michael is of Hebrew origin and means “who is like God?” or “gift from God.” It is found in the Old Testament, notably in the Book of Daniel.

Uriel means;
angel of light
u-riel. Origin:Hebrew. Popularity:922. Meaning:angel of light; flame of God.

Ebenezer means;
stone of help
History and Etymology for ebenezer
Hebrew ebhen hā-ʽezer stone of help; from the application of this name by Samuel to the stone which he set up in commemoration of God's help to the Israelites in their victory over the Philistines at Mizpah
Thomas means twin.. He isn't Harry's twin, but I am thinking what Harry saw in their soul gaze, Thomas and his very human mirror.
Just odd that the meanings for the most part of the names of the characters fit the character.  Jim does a lot of research, it seems like he may have taken the meaning of their names into account.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 05:40:23 AM by Mira »

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2021, 05:53:22 PM »
Princess Buttercup is a very sweet and pretty mostly yellow Lab mix.. She and her two sisters were dumped at the side of the road at about four months of age. All three were full of ticks and dehydrated before someone too pity and picked them up.  She loves babies and children in general, she is also a decent cadaver dog with I can get her to concentrate.  Mr Harry Barry, is very much like our Harry Dresden, as an American Lab he is tall and leggy, had LOTS of energy, very vocal, very loving, he is my cuddle pup, very sensitive, he is also a fantastic area search dog, he only knows one speed though, very fast..

I get who Harry was named after Harry Houdini, and David Copperfield as well, it has been said often enough.  But I also agree with Mab about coincidences.. Interesting origins of names..

Molly ;
sea of bitterness
Molly (also spelled Molli or Mollie) is a diminutive of the Hebrew feminine name Mary. It may less commonly be used as a diminutive for popular feminine names that begin with M, such as Margaret, Martha, Martina or Melinda. It most commonly means “sea of bitterness”, “star of the sea”, or “rebelliousness/rebellion”.

That fits her, especially the rebellious part.

Carlos means "free man."

Michael means;
who is like God?
Origin: The name Michael is of Hebrew origin and means “who is like God?” or “gift from God.” It is found in the Old Testament, notably in the Book of Daniel.

Uriel means;
angel of light
u-riel. Origin:Hebrew. Popularity:922. Meaning:angel of light; flame of God.

Ebenezer means;
stone of help
History and Etymology for ebenezer
Hebrew ebhen hā-ʽezer stone of help; from the application of this name by Samuel to the stone which he set up in commemoration of God's help to the Israelites in their victory over the Philistines at Mizpah
Thomas means twin.. He isn't Harry's twin, but I am thinking what Harry saw in their soul gaze, Thomas and his very human mirror.
Just odd that the meanings for the most part of the names of the characters fit the character.  Jim does a lot of research, it seems like he may have taken the meaning of their names into account.

And Karrin/Katherine means Pure. John (of Marcone) means 'graced by God' or 'God is gracious'.

So yeah, some of them fit pretty perfectly, but the twice-divorced gritty detective and actual crimelord having these names inspires me to think it's not all worked out ;)

(also I associate Harry with Henry/Heinrich = Home Ruler from Germanic, or Harold = Army commander, again from Germanic... not sure how the Hebrew comes in)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 09:09:46 PM »

Actually I can see naming John Marcone, John, because originally Jim meant for him to become
a Holy Knight believe it or not.. And early in the series there were signs that he might go that way
but Butters beat him to it.

Waldo=Etymology: From the obsolete English given name Waltheof, from Old English weald ("power") +
Sanya= In Russian Baby Names the meaning of the name Sanya is: Defender of man.

However names like Mab, Sarissa, Titania, do not seem to have any meaning or to be given names at all.

Malcolm comes from= Máel Coluim, or Maol Choluim is a Scottish Gaelic given name meaning "devotee of Saint Columba". And who was St Columba? https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Columba
Columba is historically revered as a warrior saint, and was often invoked for victory in battle.
Perfect for the father of Harry, protector and military general.

Margaret means pearl or jewel.. Humm the jewel in Harry's necklace.

Rashid means= Rashid is the transliteration of two male given names: Arabic: راشد‎ Rāshid and Arabic: رشيد‎ Rashīd (also spelled Rasheed), both meaning 'rightly guided', 'having the true faith'.
That fits doesn't it?

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2021, 12:54:15 AM »
The Harry in Harry Dresden is for Harry Houdini, but that wasn’t his real name it was a stage name, same with Harry Blackstone and David Copperfield, they are actually

Erik Weitz
Harry Bouton
David Seth Kotkin.

Harry goes by the name of Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden, but his real name, given by his father is:-

Erik Bouton Kotkin Dresden

No wonder Chauncey was so eager for his true name, and that Harry was rocked when Ferro got his first name correct. Remember Harry doesn’t tell the whole truth about Toot’s real name in the Files, giving a prolonged spiel about the danger of real names so why should he give his own real name or even part of it Willy Nilly?

Erik by the way comes from the old Norse and means eternal ruler, Bouton is old french/German messenger or herald, and Kotkin? Meaning unknown but from Belarus.

It may explain why Mirror Harry can use Longshot Harry’s real name, because neither are actually Harry.

Erik is also the name of one of my cats.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2021, 03:40:20 AM »

Well, it is an open secret that Toot's real name is Domino Toot The Hut.. :-X

Eric is a good old Norse name.. My cat's name is Gabby, because she is very vocal and will carry on a conversation.  She was a tiny kitten screaming clinging to the side of a cage at the Animal Shelter, doomed to be put down when I first saw her.  So I took her home for the weekend to extend her life, that was eighteen years ago, and she is still very vocal, though now her meow is a command.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2021, 10:45:59 AM »
I find this thread very Meta.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 01:31:30 AM »
I find this thread very Meta.
indeed, I'm not even surprised his name means that. Indeed, I've wondered if the GK, as the previous"version" of Dresden isn't very similar to a black dog as far as the graveyard myth goes.