Author Topic: The way Blood on his soul survived?  (Read 4724 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
The way Blood on his soul survived?
« on: October 15, 2021, 04:54:38 AM »
So Nicodemus once a year can use his Barabbas curse.  He attempted to kill Dresden with it, but Shiro took Dresden's place.  According to the Bible, the people had a choice.  Release Jesus who had done nothing wrong, or release Barabbas, a known criminal.  The people chose Barabbas.  I suspect that Nicodemus is able to choose who lives, or who dies, once a year.  In this situation he used it to save Blood on his soul who was smashed to paste, and should not have survived.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The way Blood on his soul survived?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 07:31:28 AM »
It would also mean his release from Hades domain, AND he didn’t choose Hannah Ascher, or Deidre so that means Laschiel and the Missus are NOT going to be happy he choose a big smelly grendelkin.

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 10:47:27 AM »
I thought the Knights chose a life to save

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 12:48:32 PM »

It is a little more complicated I believe..  When they fight someone one with a coin and defeat them they give him or her a choice,1] give up the coin and seek redemption for the rest of his or her life2]not, but more or less let them get away in the hope that someday they might give up the coin3] if the coin holder continues to battle, they can kill them in the course of the battle..

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 07:15:04 PM »

The Knights have a duty, not a choice.  They don't choose life or death.  They provide the person with a Coin a Choice of life or death.  if the person gives up the Coin, the Knight cannot choose death, as Karen Murphy found out. 

We know that the Noose gives Nicodemus the ability to cast the Barabbas curse, which will kill someone.  There is no known defense against the Barabbas death curse other than someone who will sacrifice themselves.  I'm suggesting that it's more than that.  Nicodemus can also choose to save someone who shouldn't be able to survive.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 07:16:47 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 08:52:01 PM »
Harry can defeat the Barabas curse, or at least Nick thinks he can so hasn’t cast it on him.

Harry has survived entropy curses, death curses, prophecy etc the Barabas Curse would just have to take a ticket in the queue with an alarmingly high number.

I wonder however if Harry is immune because he has devined that the noose is the only thing that can kill its wearer and tried to use it to kill Nick, coming closer than anyone has ever done. That knowledge and action is protecting him, uniquely. If you know how to kill the unkillable man wearing the noose, then the man wearing the noose cannot use the failsafe way of killing any man using the noose.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 10:07:18 PM »
Or because he's been targeted and someone sacrificed themselves for him already, so he can't be targeted again?
*Heck, everyone talks about Cassius's death curse in relation to Murphy, but Nic could have done it too. Small petty revenge from whatever hole he's currently hiding in.... That.. might explain why the knights showed up in reply. They were on duty there.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 10:09:40 PM by The_Sibelis »

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 02:30:33 AM »
Or because he's been targeted and someone sacrificed themselves for him already, so he can't be targeted again?
*Heck, everyone talks about Cassius's death curse in relation to Murphy, but Nic could have done it too. Small petty revenge from whatever hole he's currently hiding in.... That.. might explain why the knights showed up in reply. They were on duty there.

In Book 5 when Harry gets hit with the Barabbas Curse and Shiro takes it for him so he doesn’t die, what stops Nicodemus from just doing the Barabbas Curse on Harry again?

JB: It takes a while to set it up and get going.  You can’t just whip it out and say here’s a curse.  There’s got to be blood sacrifice and ritual and all this other stuff that goes along with it.  Otherwise he’d just use it every day, for fun.  That guy cut me off in traffic.  Barabbas Curse.  Because he totally would.

I'm also almost positive at some point Jim said that because someone sacrificed them self for Harry, that it can't be cast at him again.  Not positive though.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 11:06:42 AM »
I'm also almost positive at some point Jim said that because someone sacrificed them self for Harry, that it can't be cast at him again.  Not positive though.

Shiro sacrificed himself for Harry back in Death Masks, maybe that is why Cassius's curse wasn't all that effective?

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2021, 09:02:31 PM »
Different curses Barabas, entropy, death and what Michael said at the end of Battle Ground.

I do like to think that after that particular dam burst Michael was quite unable to issue a single sentence thereafter without it including major profanities, no matter how innocuous the intent.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2021, 10:57:52 PM »
Different curses Barabas, entropy, death and what Michael said at the end of Battle Ground.

I do like to think that after that particular dam burst Michael was quite unable to issue a single sentence thereafter without it including major profanities, no matter how innocuous the intent.

It was on the behalf of someone who had just saved the City of Chicago and everyone's bacon and was now being screwed.

Offline Morenath

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 02:50:33 AM »
So Nicodemus once a year can use his Barabbas curse.  He attempted to kill Dresden with it, but Shiro took Dresden's place.  According to the Bible, the people had a choice.  Release Jesus who had done nothing wrong, or release Barabbas, a known criminal.  The people chose Barabbas.  I suspect that Nicodemus is able to choose who lives, or who dies, once a year.  In this situation he used it to save Blood on his soul who was smashed to paste, and should not have survived.

The Genoskwa is ridiculously powerful.  Add Ursiel and he probably can't be killed outside of some very specific method.  I'm saying the block squished him to paste, but he probably wasn't killed by it.  Hades is a cave, and the genoskwa was very skilled with earth magic. Maybe ursiel kept him alive and he figured a way out on his own that only he could take.

Hannah is dead Because She is just a vessel for Lasciel. The coin was the special part about her.  Unlike the genoskwa, she is just a person without it.

Maybe the Genoskwa gave Hades Ursiel's coin as payment to leave.  Hades is a collector, after all, and his collection was just destroyed, robbed, and given away. 

We don't actually know how, specifically, big... feet? can be killed.  We just know valkryies and einharjar killed them.  Those aren't regular opponents, like vikings.  Odin and other Norse gods were probably involved.

The naagloshi couldn't really be killed either, except under certain conditions, and even then it could just be a temporary phase shift from corporeal to incorporeal until a power level or time limit is reached.  The question of the day...

Who wins in a fight(with no rules because they would both cheat anyway)?
The Naagloshi or the Genoskwa?  I'd love to read that!

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 07:00:25 PM »
The Genoskwa is ridiculously powerful.  Add Ursiel and he probably can't be killed outside of some very specific method.  I'm saying the block squished him to paste, but he probably wasn't killed by it.  Hades is a cave, and the genoskwa was very skilled with earth magic. Maybe ursiel kept him alive and he figured a way out on his own that only he could take.

Hannah is dead Because She is just a vessel for Lasciel. The coin was the special part about her.  Unlike the genoskwa, she is just a person without it.

Maybe the Genoskwa gave Hades Ursiel's coin as payment to leave.  Hades is a collector, after all, and his collection was just destroyed, robbed, and given away. 

We don't actually know how, specifically, big... feet? can be killed.  We just know valkryies and einharjar killed them.  Those aren't regular opponents, like vikings.  Odin and other Norse gods were probably involved.

The naagloshi couldn't really be killed either, except under certain conditions, and even then it could just be a temporary phase shift from corporeal to incorporeal until a power level or time limit is reached.  The question of the day...

Who wins in a fight(with no rules because they would both cheat anyway)?
The Naagloshi or the Genoskwa?  I'd love to read that!

True but even River Shoulders seemed confused as to how Blood on his soul survived.  River Shoulders is older than LTW, and is one of the Forest people, and should have had an idea.  So I don't believe it's because he's a Forest person with a Coin. 

Does the Genoskwa have a Coin?  I'm with the Naagloshi in this fight.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2021, 07:25:58 PM »
I'm wondering if it's not something to do with his adopted name, the genoska. Maybe this identified him as a specific being, and called the mantle of it to him? Eh, but the coin does complicate that, supposed to be mortal an all...
Only other thing I can think of directly, is he's no longer separated from with the coin/host and is in truth possessed by the fallen more directly... Making him an immortal?
*Like, did the coin get smashed too?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 09:03:30 PM by The_Sibelis »

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2021, 12:32:04 AM »
The Coins should be nigh indestructible, otherwise you'd think one or two would have gotten the One Ring treatment. Not saying it's easy, but there's been 2000+ years of people trying and 30 Coins.

Of course, destroying a Coin would probably be a bad idea unless your method could also kill the Fallen imprisoned inside. The Spear is the only thing I can think of that would do the trick. Being able to kill anything is it's special power afterall.