Author Topic: Mother Winter Blackstaff Back  (Read 9605 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Mother Winter Blackstaff Back
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2021, 09:28:45 PM »
According to Jim, the Eye is a god killing weapon.  He said even Uriel could be killed by it eventually (if he just sat there and did nothing).  It would have killed Mab if she took one or maybe two more blasts with it.  She barely survived the first one.  The Mantle would have went to Molly right away I'd think.

WOJ please, whilst Jim can re-write his rules as he pleases but this hasn’t been shown in BG, all the immortals zapped by the Eye survived though I think only the Erl King was a genuine immortal not reliant upon a Mantle for his immortality.

What the Eye can do is break reality, little point being an immortal if reality has ended.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2021, 10:26:18 PM »
According to Jim, the Eye is a god killing weapon.  He said even Uriel could be killed by it eventually (if he just sat there and did nothing).  It would have killed Mab if she took one or maybe two more blasts with it.  She barely survived the first one.  The Mantle would have went to Molly right away I'd think.

Except you leave out that Mab understood how the Eye worked, understanding it, she neutralized any power it may have had to kill her.

on page 394 of Battle Ground, Harry asks her how she withstood it.  First observation he made was the Eye was made of hate and destroyed everything it touched.  Mab explains how she was able to withstand it.

"Everyone," she said, "thinks that hate and love are somehow opposite forces.  They are not.  They are the same force, facing opposite directions."  She glanced aside at me.  "Love is fire, my Knight.  Love turned the wrong way has killed as many as hate.  Reason,young wizard, is the opposite of hate, not love.  Ethniu could not destroy me with a single blast of the Eye.  I was certain of it.  I ran the numbers."

So it may be a god killing machine, perhaps because most gods don't apply reason, maybe because the don't feel they need to.  It makes them vulnerable to the likes of the Eye.  Reason, is what Eve gained at the Tree of Knowledge when she took a bite.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2021, 10:56:31 PM »
WOJ please, whilst Jim can re-write his rules as he pleases but this hasn’t been shown in BG, all the immortals zapped by the Eye survived though I think only the Erl King was a genuine immortal not reliant upon a Mantle for his immortality.

What the Eye can do is break reality, little point being an immortal if reality has ended.

The only Immortals attacked by the Eye were Mab and Titania. Titania deflected it and Mab took the hit.

The Erlking and Odin got beat down along with Titania after that.

As for immortals regenerating, Molly say in BG that she would regeneraten if she was put in a blender. If she can do it, Mab certainly can. It takes a power like the Eye or Spear to kill an immortal outside of a confluence.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2021, 11:30:01 PM »
I just have the unsettling image of a Molly Smoothie.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2021, 12:50:45 AM »
Most of this is covered in Cold Days, including the fact that you could kill Mother Winter.  But you can't destroy the mantle. And puree de Molly is not on the menu.  EOS.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2021, 02:34:56 AM »

I don't think there are any immortals absent a mantle.  The immortal mantle is what makes an immortal immortal (noting that not all mantles confer immortality).  The Erlking is the Eldest goblin.  "Eldest" is a powerful mantle in Faerie, and there are a few of them.

I'd also guess that either Grimalkin or Cat Sith is the Eldest malk.  Scarecrow was the Eldest fetch.  And, going out on a limb, the Redcap is the Eldest gnome.

Even outside of the fae, other gods have mantles.  Hercules's mantle got passed over to the Hulk, for example.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2021, 09:48:47 AM »

Relevant WOJ

"Is it even like dangerous to Uriel? Or his boss?

If Uriel just stood there in it, yeah, I mean he wouldn't, it could kill him I mean it's- again it's one of those- I mean Uriel is... he's so powerful that he's not even on the scale with everybody else. I mean yeah maybe the Eye of Balor could disintegrate Uriel if Uriel couldn't just immediately teleport anywhere or make the energy go somewhere else or basically do anything at all to defend himself. If he just stood there like a dummy, sure somebody could kill him with the Eye of Balor. He's not going to, freaking archangel."

As for Mantles I was kinda disappointed Hercules isn't around anymore, I've got a fanfic short story in my head of Thor and Hercules having a Bromance.

I do think that Hecate has some correlation with the Fae Queens. Molly's statue in Skin Game and Hades reference are too much groundwork laid for future appearance.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2021, 11:48:39 AM »
“Maybe” Jim has thought it through.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2021, 02:18:25 PM »
Except you leave out that Mab understood how the Eye worked, understanding it, she neutralized any power it may have had to kill her.

on page 394 of Battle Ground, Harry asks her how she withstood it.  First observation he made was the Eye was made of hate and destroyed everything it touched.  Mab explains how she was able to withstand it.

So it may be a god killing machine, perhaps because most gods don't apply reason, maybe because the don't feel they need to.  It makes them vulnerable to the likes of the Eye.  Reason, is what Eve gained at the Tree of Knowledge when she took a bite.
I feel like that quote explains balance in the DF, at least inside 🤔 like... You could apply that same reasoning to Summer and Winter for instance. The opposite is actually Nemesis.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2021, 05:21:47 PM »
I feel like that quote explains balance in the DF, at least inside 🤔 like... You could apply that same reasoning to Summer and Winter for instance. The opposite is actually Nemesis.
Maybe, but I think what Mab is getting at is both hate and love are emotions, reason for the most part isn't.   You can counter both love and hate with reason.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2021, 07:00:00 PM »
Maybe, but I think what Mab is getting at is both hate and love are emotions, reason for the most part isn't.   You can counter both love and hate with reason.
... That's what she's directly saying yes?

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2021, 07:12:31 PM »

Read Mab's quote again: "Ethniu could not destroy me with a single blast of the Eye."

Then look at why I said " It would have killed Mab if she took one or maybe two more blasts with it.  She barely survived the first one."

She knew she wouldn't be killed with the first blast.  But she couldn't have taken another, in my opinion, based on how damaged she was from it.  She would have eventually been killed by it.

Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2021, 07:15:05 PM »

She said reason was the opposite of hate, not love.  She didn't say reason was the counter to love.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2021, 02:24:05 AM »
Read Mab's quote again: "Ethniu could not destroy me with a single blast of the Eye."

Then look at why I said " It would have killed Mab if she took one or maybe two more blasts with it.  She barely survived the first one."

She knew she wouldn't be killed with the first blast.  But she couldn't have taken another, in my opinion, based on how damaged she was from it.  She would have eventually been killed by it.

But apparently Ethinu didn't either, because she never tried a second or a third blast.  You are making an assumption that a second or a third would have killed Mab, but there is no proof of it because neither the blast nor the death happened. Mab knew this when she stood up against her, she ran the numbers.  Then she reasoned it out.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2021, 02:49:18 AM »
But apparently Ethinu didn't either, because she never tried a second or a third blast.  You are making an assumption that a second or a third would have killed Mab, but there is no proof of it because neither the blast nor the death happened. Mab knew this when she stood up against her, she ran the numbers.  Then she reasoned it out.

The Eye needed time to charge which is why she didn't just fire it nonstop at everyone.  Mab took the shot to buy time.

"Mab was not strong enough to do much more than lift her own head"
"My Knight, came Mab's psychic voice.  We have perhaps sixty seconds before the Eye is once again loosed upon us.  you must call her by then", talking about summoning Titania. 

From that point on, Ethniu was pretty much fighting off everyone else, and didn't get a shot at Mab.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 02:51:30 AM by groinkick »