Author Topic: Mother Winter Blackstaff Back  (Read 9604 times)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Mother Winter Blackstaff Back
« on: October 06, 2021, 08:05:12 AM »
So Harry is technically Mother Winters, Winter Knight. Harry owes her allegiance. Could she task harry with getting the Blackstaff back?

Offline hiddendotgif

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Mother Winter Blackstaff Back
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 11:14:24 AM »
I imagine so, but that may be a tad extreme for right now - an 'impossible' task (even if Harry would likely find a way). There's no use throwing out a perfectly good Knight by asking such a power-balance-changing task.
"Be the chaos you want to see in the world" - Mollymauk

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 12:22:11 PM »

Yeah,  I think if Mother Winter wanted her stick back, she'd get it.  Here's a thought, Mother Summer, Mab, and Titania know perfectly well that Eb has it, but are not telling Mother Winter.

Why? Because they have determined that it is most effective where it presently is.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 12:58:45 PM »

Yeah,  I think if Mother Winter wanted her stick back, she'd get it.  Here's a thought, Mother Summer, Mab, and Titania know perfectly well that Eb has it, but are not telling Mother Winter.

Why? Because they have determined that it is most effective where it presently is.

Doesn't Mother Winter have Intellectus anyway?

and yeah Mab probably finds it useful that the Blackstaffs Grandson is her Winter Knight.

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 04:29:25 PM »
Mother Winter doesn't know where her staff is in the way Harry doesn't know where the eye is. She hasn't looked for it.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 05:24:50 PM »
Mother Winter doesn't know where her staff is in the way Harry doesn't know where the eye is. She hasn't looked for it.

She may have looked for it, but cannot find it..  It could be as cantankerous as she is, it was taken
away for the sake of mankind.  Not quite the same as Harry, he doesn't want to know, because he wanted to the Marcone and the other members of the Accords that he doesn't know.

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 06:52:11 PM »
Everyone knows Blackstaff McCoy. Unless Mother Winter hasn't heard it. She Knows! Just because she "lost it" past tense doesn't mean it wasn't found and just not recovered. Like when Mab just knows the whole story with few clues... intellectus.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 07:16:18 PM »
Everyone knows Blackstaff McCoy. Unless Mother Winter hasn't heard it. She Knows! Just because she "lost it" past tense doesn't mean it wasn't found and just not recovered. Like when Mab just knows the whole story with few clues... intellectus.

Maybe not, she doesn't get around since she lost it, remember how hard it was for her when Harry summoned her.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 11:42:49 PM »
The likelihood is that she loaned the Blackstaff to the White Council but promised not to take it back, the White Council has to voluntarily return it to her, which is never going to happen unless Harry intervenes.

She can’t retrieve it or order Harry to retrieve it, but if it were to end up in Harry’s Possession (which it will, all major magical artefacts seem to) he Can give it back to her.

The whole magical artefact thing is so bad that when the White Council eventually find out about him they will  tell him that Bob is number 2 on the most wanted list of dangerous magical artefacts and Bob could easily say “that’s flattering, I don’t even make the top five in Harry’s collection” which is true, Eye of Balor, Spear of Destiny, the Shroud, The Placard, the Crown of Thorns, Amorrachius, Bob.

And he has previously been custodian of the sword of Faith and a blackened Denarius at the same time, as well as an original Star Wars poster.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 02:41:20 AM »
I don't think it's a given that Mother Winter will get her walking stick back at all during the series.  Could she order Harry to get it back for her?  Probably, but could and would are two different questions.  I'd more expect her to have made the judgement that the Blackstaff is in an appropriate place for the time being.  The White Council has had it since Mab ascended around 1065.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 10:47:18 AM »
And he has previously been custodian of the sword of Faith and a blackened Denarius at the same time, as well as an original Star Wars poster.

Yeah, he lost a small fortune when that burned up.. But then again condition is everything..

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2021, 07:56:43 AM »
The Mothers can unravel reality. She could likely do a Thor "To me" and it materializes in her hand, unless someone of her level is holding it.  Doesn't need Harry.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2021, 10:41:14 AM »
The argument given her power level is that she has agreed not to take it back, but would accept it if offered it back.

It is currently held by the White Council. There is no time-line in which they will voluntarily hand back any artefact of power. No wonder she is grumpy. She probably invented the norovirus/winter vomiting virus because of it, a nasty bug perfect for the cramped unventilated environment of the White Council in Edinburgh, with almost certainly inadequate plumbing.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 11:57:08 PM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2021, 11:30:44 AM »
She can't, she can't leave the cottage. Not really (she reached out and pulled Harry to her for a reason) it's the walking stick that lets her er.. Walk. I reason when she told Harry, as winter knight, he's "no knight of mine" she was being quite literal. Instead of a mantle, she made an artifact, a talisman similar in it's basic form to the hexxenwolf belts. They connect you to a spiritual being, that being has powers you draw upon via the artifact.(looking at my explanation, that's almost exactly what the Swords do) it gives her the baba yaga mask, the wicked witch, and gives a being of neigh unlimited power the ability to go anywhere and eat anything, it gives her freedom to act, choices she wouldn't have had.
I'm not sure she can ask for it back, not outright. But if she had it, I think she coulda marched right into Chicago and snatched Ethniu up and grinded her bones into bread.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2021, 03:39:06 PM »
I think it's the other way around.

Sure, she's grumpy about not being able to walk - but with the blackstaff out in the world, it is active, bringing death and suffering to the world she can't walk in. She'd probably shatter mundane reality just by glaring, nevermind when amassing the magic oomph to drag a satellite onto a mansion.