Author Topic: Wedding day ideas  (Read 5410 times)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding day ideas
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 03:19:20 AM »
I'm not entirely sure about that.
  • The White Council could boycott because Harry is persona-non-grata (and his two closest relationships are seriously pissed about him being friendly with Lara).
  • The Svartalves are likely still not pleased about the assassination attempt and subsequent kidnapping of the attacker, by the two people getting married no less.
  • The ghouls don't like Harry any more than he likes them.
  • The Denarians seem to be out after their SmF betrayal, and they wouldn't show anyway after Harry's involvement with Deirdre's death and Nico's loss of standing.
  • I don't see the Erlking caring for such things. I imagine he shows up only for what he has to.
  • Same for Ferrovax.
  • Marcone will show up even though he wouldn't want to. He can't let an event like that happen in his town without being a part. Especially if he wants to make sure he doesn't start getting cut out now that Mab knows about the coin.

So I think it'll be Winter/White/Summer Courts, plus River and maybe Vadderung if he's got nothing better to do, and Marcone out of necessity.

As I see it, this wedding; meaning the alliance between between Winter and the White Court, is Mab's idea and therefore it would be her party, even if Molly or Lea handled the planning in conjunction with input from Lara Raith.  Therefore, it would be Mab who would decide which major powers would be on the invite list.  So, the question to ask is not whether the White Council, Ghouls or Swartalves would want to attend, but whether Mab would invite them to send a representative. 

Should Mab decide to make a very public statement by inviting all the major powers in the anti-Fomor alliance to send representatives to the wedding; and I think there is a fair possibility this would occur, would the White Council, Ghouls or Swartalves decide to snub Mab's invitation?  I don't think so. 

One possible problem I foresee with this hypothetical wedding is this gathering might look a little like a combination of Bianca's Ball, Harry's birthday party in Cold Days and the get together of the major powers near the beginning of Peace Talks.  I would expect lots of creepy manipulation and everyone would stare daggers at each other, but haven't we already seen that kind of thing before, and fairly recently?  Maybe we could get what I wanted to see happen in Peace Talks.  Some major player from one of the supernatural nations is murdered and Harry has to solve the crime to save the alliance and his own skin.  It would be nice to see Harry get to be a detective again.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 03:26:14 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2021, 03:52:27 AM »
Ferro was willing to show up to Bianca's ball.  I think Harry's wedding is a bigger deal than that, tbh.  It may be an either/or thing between him and Vadderung, though.

As far as people to expect to show up, I'm expecting most supernatural nations to get an invite to send representatives.  It is good to shore up Accords relations if nothing else.
Something like the following seems reasonable to me:
  • Summer - Sarissa and Fix, possibly Eldest Gruff
  • Winter - Mab, Molly, and retainers
  • White Court - all the living named characters here except maybe Thomas
  • White Council - token pair of senior councilors (say Listens to Wind and Ancient Mai with TC's nameless wardens.  Nobody that's gonna be too friendly to Harry)
  • Archive
  • Marcone/Gard and possibly the new Hendricks (Childs perhaps?)
  • Svartalves - Etri and his sister
  • Vadderung or Ferro, but probably not both
Probably a good portion of that is wrong, but I could see any of those choices actually showing up.

For Twelve Months, it's going to be a different kind of book.  Instead of Harry's worst weekend, it's going to be stretched over the course of an entire year.  That means that Harry gets time to rest between episodes of interest.  I think that might make it hard to keep up a usual murder mystery plot.  The usual time pressure is going to be off, anyway.  Stepping back and having a less combat focused book would be good after BG, too.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2021, 04:17:57 AM »
As I see it, this wedding; meaning the alliance between between Winter and the White Court, is Mab's idea and therefore it would be her party, even if Molly or Lea handled the planning in conjunction with input from Lara Raith.  Therefore, it would be Mab who would decide which major powers would be on the invite list.  So, the question to ask is not whether the White Council, Ghouls or Swartalves would want to attend, but whether Mab would invite them to send a representative. 

Should Mab decide to make a very public statement by inviting all the major powers in the anti-Fomor alliance to send representatives to the wedding; and I think there is a fair possibility this would occur, would the White Council, Ghouls or Swartalves decide to snub Mab's invitation?  I don't think so. 

One possible problem I foresee with this hypothetical wedding is this gathering might look a little like a combination of Bianca's Ball, Harry's birthday party in Cold Days and the get together of the major powers near the beginning of Peace Talks.  I would expect lots of creepy manipulation and everyone would stare daggers at each other, but haven't we already seen that kind of thing before, and fairly recently?  Maybe we could get what I wanted to see happen in Peace Talks.  Some major player from one of the supernatural nations is murdered and Harry has to solve the crime to save the alliance and his own skin.  It would be nice to see Harry get to be a detective again.
Mab is smart enough to know that an alliance between the (now) most powerful vampire court and Winter, starring a wizard that has pissed off the White Council and the Svartalves and the Baron of Chicago, is not going to be popular.

I don't think she's going to go out of her way to antagonize anyone. I think the existence of the alliance will be enough. And honestly, I'm not even sure she'll attend. I could easily see her letting Lea attend her godson's wedding, which would mean she'd be at the Gates.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2021, 08:32:18 AM »
Groomsmen would be Thomas Raith, Butters and Sanya (prefiguring Thomas for the Sword). Precisely to make the other guests nervous.

Michael Carpenter organises the Stag Do. Everyone is in bed (the correct bed) by 8:00 pm, and sober with the only tassels they have seen on the cushions in the tea shop Michael hired for the event.

Yeah, when I put Michael up for best Man I forgot it would be the worst stag party ever.... though I don't see tea shop. Michael would have everyone over to his backyard for a cookout. Burgers and beer. And remind anyone who may think of having too many - there are angels ON THE ROOF watching you....

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2021, 08:42:04 AM »
Does anyone think Eb doesn't show? He will bitch and moan, and then tell Langtry he's going. Period. Uses the "He lived with me for 2 years" excuse. 

You know, i could see Archleone as smug enough to show....

Mac get an invite? 

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2021, 11:47:03 AM »
Does anyone think Eb doesn't show? He will bitch and moan, and then tell Langtry he's going. Period. Uses the "He lived with me for 2 years" excuse. 

You know, i could see Archleone as smug enough to show....

Mac get an invite?
Eb killed Harry because of his rage over his relationship with Thomas. Unless Eb gets therapy over the next year, I don't see him being fine with a wedding.

Mac will probably cater.

Yeah, when I put Michael up for best Man I forgot it would be the worst stag party ever.... though I don't see tea shop. Michael would have everyone over to his backyard for a cookout. Burgers and beer. And remind anyone who may think of having too many - there are angels ON THE ROOF watching you....
I could see strippers showing up in the backyard and everyone assumes it was Thomas, but it turns out Bob ordered them online.  ;D

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2021, 03:00:23 PM »
Lara is Thomas's mother figure, in addition to big sister and partner in the Oblivion War.

I see him going the "last naked woman you'll ever see" route and being bad at it.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2021, 07:25:23 PM »
Mab is smart enough to know that an alliance between the (now) most powerful vampire court and Winter, starring a wizard that has pissed off the White Council and the Svartalves and the Baron of Chicago, is not going to be popular.

I don't think she's going to go out of her way to antagonize anyone. I think the existence of the alliance will be enough. And honestly, I'm not even sure she'll attend. I could easily see her letting Lea attend her godson's wedding, which would mean she'd be at the Gates.

She won't antagonize, but she doesn't take disrespect.

And running this kind of alliance through a secretive laid-back affair without Mab's presence would also cast doubt on the strength of the alliance. Does Mab really mean it, or is she discarding Harry by passing him to Lara? If she shows, it's clear, but if she avoids it...

Of course that presupposes she really means it; she sent some mixed messages in my mind - similar to getting Molly sent to a party to blow things open, only for Lea to basically remark 'blowing it up' was predicted... so sending Molly to organize this gig for Harry, that's basically Mab saying 'I want this blown open spectacularly, probably to pay Lara back for imprisoning those dewdrop faeries'.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2021, 09:01:00 PM »
The story is shadowing Margaret LeFey's. Outlawed by the Council, driven close to the Fey, accused of breaking the First Law of Magic. And now expected to produce a child to cement an alliance. The child would bind him. I have no opinion in how that ends in Twelve Months other then he will get snatched before they consummate their vows.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2021, 10:45:32 PM »
What better way to check in on Harry without being seen to overly worried about the one Warlock Nuclear Power they just pissed off. Besides they have got to be worried what everyone else is up to in Chicago.

This will be very public, which means Harry’s inopportune disappearance will be a major diplomatic incident.

There is nothing they can do to Harry directly at the event itself. They would however do a diplomatic snub, the Merlin himself would not attend, he would send a Senior Council Member but one who would be a coded message to all and sundry, The Black Staff. Sending McCoy to watch his grandson marry a vampire sends a message to the rest of the Senior Council, and as this is the Merlin his third reason would be if McCoy’s temper got the better of him and led to a duel against Mab, or better yet Harry this might solve either or both problems permanently. Besides his wedding present would be a cheap and nasty toaster which will last all of 5 seconds in Harry’s presence before bursting into flames.

The White Council will immediately get the blame on Harry’s disappearance so everyone will be daggers drawn at their delegation (Likely Eb, Listens, Martha Liberty and Carlos, with the Gatekeeper as a Wedding-crasher/Gatecrasher, and this will last the entirety of Harry’s absence (24 hours I bet)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 10:55:20 PM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2021, 11:07:33 PM »
Mab said it'd be a year, and the book is currently named twelve months. So it'll likely be the anniversary of their victory, or the day after. So when was BG?
Around the 21st of June. Ethniu and Corb tried to take down Mab on the summer solstice, when Winter was at its weakest.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2021, 11:11:36 PM »
No one has speculated what Titania's reaction might be to this alliance.  The Fae are all about balance, so Titania must do something to retain the balance between Summer and Winter.  I'm not suggesting Titania would marry Fix to one of the Swartalve's, but she would do something.  Of course, Titania might not even make an appearance at the wedding.  Whatever she might will could possibly be done through Sarissa's actions or perhaps even Eldest Gruff, though I favor Sarissa being Summer's agent in this case.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2021, 12:47:36 AM »
I think we'll see Sarissa and Fix at the wedding. Titania will probably beg off. Although Mother Winter might beg off on the pretext of walking difficulty.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2021, 08:21:48 AM »
Eb killed Harry because of his rage over his relationship with Thomas. Unless Eb gets therapy over the next year, I don't see him being fine with a wedding.

Mac will probably cater.

Eb wasn't TRYING to kill Harry. Harry is in effect serving notice he knows that with the invitation.

I could see strippers showing up in the backyard and everyone assumes it was Thomas, but it turns out Bob ordered them online.  ;D

Thomas has too much class for that. He has shown much respect to the Carpenters in the past.  Gating Michael into the strip club was because he had no options, his dimension/plane hopping is not at the level of a White Council wizard. and Bob would get in deep doo-doo and knows it. Harry could make him a peace offering to the White Council, who would destroy him. 

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2021, 08:28:09 AM »
I think we'll see Sarissa and Fix at the wedding. Titania will probably beg off. Although Mother Winter might beg off on the pretext of walking difficulty.

Titania has hard feelings towards Harry for killing her daughter.  She knows it was justified, but at some level....

Sarissa and Fix sound like an acceptable representative. I think Eldest Gruff might be a bit low on the totem pole to represent Summer, but I think Harry might invite him in his own right.