Author Topic: Parallels  (Read 1263 times)

Offline psuedonym

• Participant
    • View Profile
Parallels
« on: September 29, 2021, 01:23:23 AM »
Hi, dont know if this has been seen by someone else or if it is any more than just coincidence but i think its kinda cool

The pedigree of the magic tradition which harry is schooled in shows a parallel with the queens of winter. Eb being the oldest and most powerful has mother winter's walking stick, harry, the next oldest and as wizard (nothing else) the second most powerful is the winter knight and beholden to mab, molly the youngest and least powerful wizard is the winter lady, the youngest and least powerful of the queens.
No idea if this was deliberate by jim or just how it turned out, if it were deliberate i can't figure out what it means, can you? Please discuss

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Parallels
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 08:12:16 AM »
Hi, dont know if this has been seen by someone else or if it is any more than just coincidence but i think its kinda cool

The pedigree of the magic tradition which harry is schooled in shows a parallel with the queens of winter. Eb being the oldest and most powerful has mother winter's walking stick, harry, the next oldest and as wizard (nothing else) the second most powerful is the winter knight and beholden to mab, molly the youngest and least powerful wizard is the winter lady, the youngest and least powerful of the queens.
No idea if this was deliberate by jim or just how it turned out, if it were deliberate i can't figure out what it means, can you? Please discuss

I think that it just how it CAME, the eldest wizards ARE the strongest ones as a group - but not entirely as individuals. It appears Mai is likely the oldest, possibly Rashid. They are not the strongest. Langtry is. Eb is a great COMBAT wizard. Has he shown much else? Even in devices? Harry has come far in.. 20 years? from his old force ring and bracelet to the triple rings and new shield is a big jump. Eb pretty much admitted he could not have done the force dome in the cabin at the time. In 50 years Harry's artificer skills, if you will, will surpass Eb. Klaus better than either, apparently. Rashid even calls Harry the strongest OF HIS GENERATION, hinting power grows in time.

Harry is beholden to WINTER, not to Mab. Mother Winter mostly sits out things. She is the CEO of the corporation, the most power when she wants to flex it. But it takes away time from her golf game or knitting, so she delegates the day-to-day to her CEO, Mab. So Mab watches Harry. Molly is the up-and-comer, but not there yet. Mab delegates projects to her.  Molly can give Harry orders too.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 10:24:55 AM »

Harry is beholden to WINTER, not to Mab. Mother Winter mostly sits out things. She is the CEO of the corporation, the most power when she wants to flex it. But it takes away time from her golf game or knitting, so she delegates the day-to-day to her CEO, Mab. So Mab watches Harry. Molly is the up-and-comer, but not there yet. Mab delegates projects to her.  Molly can give Harry orders too.

Don't discount Mother Winter's knitting, remember " the unraveling?"  That is the kind of yarn she knits with.

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 03:29:23 PM »
Harry's going to stay in Winter through at least, the next two books.

BG ended right after midsummer. Mab, Molly and Kringle visited Harry on Christmas Eve. Obviously, Harry is still in Winter 5-6 months after BG. Which means he missed the Halloween window to change masks. Twelve Months takes place from June-ish to June-ish. If Jim keeps pace, Mirror Mirror will take place about a year later, giving one more Window for Halloween swap. Since Mirror Mirror's focus will be on Harry for a change, something we haven't seen since Ghost Story, I expect revelations about Starborns in there. Winter will be playing a supporting role. Probably still complicating Harry's life, as normal.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.