Author Topic: Double check me on Marcone's progression  (Read 1359 times)

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Double check me on Marcone's progression
« on: September 22, 2021, 11:51:35 PM »
In Storm Front, Marcone is an established underground boss with construction, gambling rackets, drugs and presumably, prostitution. Harry Dresden is Chicago's only practicing wizard and a consultant for Chicago Police Department's Special Investigations unit. On Dresden's way back from consulting on a crime scene where one of Marcone's henchmen was assissinated using magic, Marcone swoops down in his limo, picks up Dresden and takes his measure in a soulgaze without flinching and tries to warn him off the case.

This doesn't strike me as the actions of someone who is completely ignorant of magic.

First, iron-hearted or not, a soulgaze is supposed to be a moment of shocking intimacy.

Second, the reader is ignorant that Tommy Tom is involved with Victor Sells' rituals to create Three-Eye at the point where he's dead and introduced as one of Marcone's henchmen.

Dresden shuts down Sells, who dies in the process and cannot turn witness or testify to the White Council or the Chicago PD who else was involved in the Three-Eye ring.

In Fool Moon, Marcone's business partner and one of his henchmen wind up dead at the hands of a werewolf.

Harry, while talking to a demon for information on the Loup-Garou, guess that Marcone has his hands on a pack of werewolves. There are only two werewolf packs in Chicago, the Alphas, who would never work for Marcone, and the Street Wolves, a gang of lycanthropes, humans possessed by wild spirits.

Then Marcone, dues to shady business dealing winds up in the crosshairs of the Loup-Garou.

In book 5, Death Masks, John Marcone pops up again after being missing during Grave Peril and Summer Knight. Marcone has Miss Sigrun Gard at his beck and call as a bodyguard. Later, Marcone gains possession of the Shroud.

Does this strike anybody as the actions of a man who is introduced to the reality of magic in Storm Front? I think there's backstory on Marcone that we don't have yet, but he was already looking for a way to exploit magic for his own prestige and power.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Double check me on Marcone's progression
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 01:34:54 AM »
Marcone supposedly knew about the existence of magic from his time in the military, then he encounters Harry.

He doesn't know about magic until Fool Moon but having his nose rubbed in it convinces him that he needs to learn and take precautions. Harry won't work for him, so he does his research, finds Monoc and hires Gard.

He gets involved with the Shroud because it can possibly fix the greatest guilt he feels in his life. That brings him into conflict with the Denarians, who want it to start a plague. From there, he is constantly sucked in deeper until we get to Small Favor where he gets Namshiel's coin.

It's a slow logical progression. You could say he was overly cautious and quick to learn, but not in my opinion. Being strung up for the loup garou kinda made a big impression.   

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 03:05:48 PM »
You're right. Marcone definitely knew about the spooky side of things prior to the events of Storm Front. We have no idea how he learned about it, but he knew Dresden was the real thing before he tried to buy him off, and he knew what a soulgaze was (because he wasn't surprised about it, and seemed to initiate it deliberately).
Personally, I think the one who gave the hexenwulf belts to the FBI and instigated everything was Vaderrung, as Kringle. It's a bit of a WAG, but Jim's mentioned the culprit a couple of times when asked (here's a thread with the WoJs I based this WAG on: https://www.paranetonline.com/index.php?topic=36011.0).

"Jim was asked whether we have met the people who created the Hexenwolf belts yet and he answered, 'That's another "I'm not gonna tell you" question. I will say, "kind of," "not really," and "yes." But we'll get into more of that during Cold Days as well.'"

I take that to mean the character we "kind of" "not really" but do meet in Cold Days is Kringle/Vaderrung. He's the only one we've met by the end of Changes who appears in Cold Days as a semi-different character, unless there's another reveal that I missed.

Anyway, I always found it interesting that Marcone is targeted by the Hexenwulves in FM and the next time we see him, he's secured the services of Vaderrung. I think Odin had his eye on Marcone, tested him (and Harry), and decided that Marcone would be a worthwhile investment. I think it's safe to say that that investment paid off big time in Battle Ground (not to mention White Night and Small Favor). Even in Death Masks, Marcone/Gard are directly responsible for altering Harry's fate by saving his life, which Gard lampshades.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 05:31:58 PM »
You're right. Marcone definitely knew about the spooky side of things prior to the events of Storm Front. We have no idea how he learned about it, but he knew Dresden was the real thing before he tried to buy him off, and he knew what a soulgaze was (because he wasn't surprised about it, and seemed to initiate it deliberately).
Personally, I think the one who gave the hexenwulf belts to the FBI and instigated everything was Vaderrung, as Kringle. It's a bit of a WAG, but Jim's mentioned the culprit a couple of times when asked (here's a thread with the WoJs I based this WAG on: https://www.paranetonline.com/index.php?topic=36011.0).

I take that to mean the character we "kind of" "not really" but do meet in Cold Days is Kringle/Vaderrung. He's the only one we've met by the end of Changes who appears in Cold Days as a semi-different character, unless there's another reveal that I missed.

Anyway, I always found it interesting that Marcone is targeted by the Hexenwulves in FM and the next time we see him, he's secured the services of Vaderrung. I think Odin had his eye on Marcone, tested him (and Harry), and decided that Marcone would be a worthwhile investment. I think it's safe to say that that investment paid off big time in Battle Ground (not to mention White Night and Small Favor). Even in Death Masks, Marcone/Gard are directly responsible for altering Harry's fate by saving his life, which Gard lampshades.
Odin is somewhat a possibility, but Nemesis is probably a more likely candidate for a character met in CD that we've kinda already met before.  And it kinda already fits with its MO of operating in the shadows causing trouble.

We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill