Author Topic: Will Harry change his approach to magic now?  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Will Harry change his approach to magic now?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2021, 03:28:40 AM »
You're swimming against the current there, even Jim gets in on calling Harry an idiot. Being smart in some ways does nothing to stop him being an idiot in others.

Well, you might also call him human.. I'd wager that even Einstein was an idiot at times, but that doesn't make him less of a genius.  What I am saying is yes, say he can act like an idiot at times, but don't dismiss him as being an idiot.  It would be idiotic to do so.. ::)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2021, 03:52:09 AM »
Well, you might also call him human.. I'd wager that even Einstein was an idiot at times, but that doesn't make him less of a genius.  What I am saying is yes, say he can act like an idiot at times, but don't dismiss him as being an idiot.  It would be idiotic to do so.. ::)
Harry needed to be the idiot for the first arc.  You are now in the second arc and Harry is growing up, despite the thinking here. He's seeing that his choices have a cost to the people around him. And as of Cold Days he's started being smarter. Cold Days revealed the true enemy and the stakes of the game. In Skin Game he brought his A game.  Because he did he dealt a blow to Nicodemus that he wouldn't have been able to in the earlier books. Mab pays him a compliment in fact in Battle Ground when he bests Marcone and Namshiel and ends up with the token everyone wanted.
And there are many who suspect you have claimed the Eye by right of victory as well—a circumstance far more favorable to you than if they actually knew whether you had it or not.” She pursed her lips. “You begin to understand how to armor yourself with your enemies’ doubts. Your reputation grows more formidable.” “Formidable enough the White Council doesn’t want anything to do with me,” I said. She waved a hand, her voice utterly confident. “Sheep fear wolves, my Knight. And it is appropriate that they do so.”

Butcher, Jim. Battle Ground (Dresden Files) (p. 392). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
Which speaks directly to the point.  it isn't what you can do, it's what they think you can do.  Anyway carry on.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2021, 04:43:18 PM »
Harry needed to be the idiot for the first arc.  You are now in the second arc and Harry is growing up, despite the thinking here. He's seeing that his choices have a cost to the people around him. And as of Cold Days he's started being smarter. Cold Days revealed the true enemy and the stakes of the game. In Skin Game he brought his A game.  Because he did he dealt a blow to Nicodemus that he wouldn't have been able to in the earlier books. Mab pays him a compliment in fact in Battle Ground when he bests Marcone and Namshiel and ends up with the token everyone wanted.

Being an idiot when young is part of the maturing process, that is how one learns, by making mistakes.  In the case of wizards, they are more or less considered idiot kids until they are almost forty or even older.  So I'd say Harry pretty much is on track as far as that goes, maybe even a bit ahead of the curve.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2021, 07:16:54 PM »
Harry isn't an idiot.  He's up against Things that have been around for much longer than he has.  Some of them were around when being able to read was a rare thing.  The supernatural world is survival of the fittest, and he's up against Things that are the smartest, and most dangerous because if they weren't, they would be dead.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2021, 09:00:07 PM »
Harry isn't an idiot.  He's up against Things that have been around for much longer than he has.  Some of them were around when being able to read was a rare thing.  The supernatural world is survival of the fittest, and he's up against Things that are the smartest, and most dangerous because if they weren't, they would be dead.
And some of them die because a wizard sneezes :p

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2021, 11:54:05 PM »
And some of them die because a wizard sneezes :p

Well it helps to sneeze in the right place at the right time... Timing is everything and it doesn't hurt to have a bit of luck... ::)