Author Topic: Dragon Con 2021, audio file  (Read 2282 times)

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Dragon Con 2021, audio file
« on: September 12, 2021, 09:25:41 PM »
There's an audio file from the JB Q&A on youtube.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Con 2021, audio file
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 09:49:29 PM »
Yup, that's apparently LostInTime's recording. TCF is apparently working on the transcript.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 05:16:12 AM »
So glad that Bob will be back in the novella!

Also looks like 5 more books left until the trilogy.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 07:37:47 PM »
so, does anyone think that we'll get both a Cinder Spires & a Dresden Files book next year?

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 09:29:20 PM »
so, does anyone think that we'll get both a Cinder Spires & a Dresden Files book next year?

Assuming Jim's right about his estimates hopefully yeah.

Cinder Spires done by his birthday 26th of October

12 Months by jan or feb next year.

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 11:00:18 AM »
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 03:21:46 AM »
Assuming Jim's right about his estimates hopefully yeah.

Cinder Spires done by his birthday 26th of October

12 Months by jan or feb next year.

I hope that estimate is accurate, but it didn't make sense to me.  Jim said he was 40% finished with the Cinders Spires book and he hopes to be finished by his birthday on October 27th.  The first Cinder Spires book's word count was just over 188,000.  Let's say the next book a bit longer and I round that up to 200,000 words to simplify the math.  That would mean Jim has written about 80,000 words and has about another 120,000 to go.  If he got home from DragonCon on Monday Sept. 13, give him a day or two to recover so that takes us to Sept 15 before he starts writing again.  There would be sixteen days left in September and twenty-seven days until his birthday, so a total of 43 days.  However, I doubt that Jim writes seven days a week.  Even if I only knock off three rest days that comes out to 40 days to write another 120,000 words for a pace of 3,000 words a day.

Jim has said that when he is really going strong he can write about 4,000 words a day, but I bet that high word rate is rare for him and doesn't last very long.  Maybe a week at most.  I think that for Jim to finish by this October 27th he would have prepared a major outline for this novel and already know how every remaining plot element will play out and end.  This is something Jim hasn't done in the past, though he's talked about creating better outlines for future projects.  I suppose it's possible, but it doesn't feel very realistic to me.

Then Jim hopes to finish Twelve Months; or the alternate tile of Twelve Dates, by the end of January.  That's only three months writing time.  Unless Jim already has a huge chunk of that novel already written, I don't see how he can do it.  What feels far more realistic to me is Jim wants to finish the next Cinder Spires book before the end of January 2022 and the next Dresden book by his birthday on October 27 2022.  That seems a more believable timetable to me.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 06:46:22 PM »
I hope that estimate is accurate, but it didn't make sense to me.  Jim said he was 40% finished with the Cinders Spires book and he hopes to be finished by his birthday on October 27th.  The first Cinder Spires book's word count was just over 188,000.  Let's say the next book a bit longer and I round that up to 200,000 words to simplify the math.  That would mean Jim has written about 80,000 words and has about another 120,000 to go.  If he got home from DragonCon on Monday Sept. 13, give him a day or two to recover so that takes us to Sept 15 before he starts writing again.  There would be sixteen days left in September and twenty-seven days until his birthday, so a total of 43 days.  However, I doubt that Jim writes seven days a week.  Even if I only knock off three rest days that comes out to 40 days to write another 120,000 words for a pace of 3,000 words a day.

Jim has said that when he is really going strong he can write about 4,000 words a day, but I bet that high word rate is rare for him and doesn't last very long.  Maybe a week at most.  I think that for Jim to finish by this October 27th he would have prepared a major outline for this novel and already know how every remaining plot element will play out and end.  This is something Jim hasn't done in the past, though he's talked about creating better outlines for future projects.  I suppose it's possible, but it doesn't feel very realistic to me.

Then Jim hopes to finish Twelve Months; or the alternate tile of Twelve Dates, by the end of January.  That's only three months writing time.  Unless Jim already has a huge chunk of that novel already written, I don't see how he can do it.  What feels far more realistic to me is Jim wants to finish the next Cinder Spires book before the end of January 2022 and the next Dresden book by his birthday on October 27 2022.  That seems a more believable timetable to me.
Kevin Hearne regularly aims to write 1k words per hour. Sometimes he hits it, sometimes he doesn't. But even half that is 6 hours of writing for 3k per day.

Back when I was writing fanfic, I could knock out well over 3k in an evening after work. And some of my fanfics were 100k+. So I don't doubt Butcher could do the same, but better.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 07:30:07 PM »

Unless both books are done and all he has left to do is rewrites and editing. Or he meant January of 2023.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 09:05:45 PM »
On the other hand he said that he wrote the first three Dresden files and the first two codex alera in a year and a half. I am not sure how big they are, but it sounds very productive.