Author Topic: Stats for Frankenstein's Monster  (Read 3726 times)

Offline JediDresden2

• Participant
    • View Profile
Stats for Frankenstein's Monster
« on: September 09, 2021, 04:13:55 PM »
My search-fu is lacking today. 

Does anyone know if someone has stated up the monster from Shelley's book?  If so please sent me a link, because I cannot find it in the forums.

If not can the community here help me stat it out?  In my game Dr Frankenstein has perfected his experiments and is still alive making an army of new Monsters, but the original Monster is still alive and working to thwart his efforts.  Yes Dr Frankenstein is the bad guy and the Monster is the hero of the story.

I am thinking Supernatural Strength and Toughness, probably some Recovery powers and the Living Dead power, anything else?  Oh and I need a Catch as well - I was thinking fire or cold (in the book he is afraid of fire and goes to the Arctic to die).  Or Lightning - but electricity is what brought him to life.  Maybe Holy?  Any ideas?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Stats for Frankenstein's Monster
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 01:12:57 PM »
I think fire as a Catch

I'm not sure about recovery...I don't remember him healing, Maybe put a limitation that only electricity lets him recover.
Toughness, for sure
Supernatural Strength
Living Dead
Maybe Hulking Size
I don't think cold would be a catch...he goes up there because there are no other humans for him to terrify.  It's the whole solitude/loneliness theme.

Offline JediDresden2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 03:45:19 PM »
Thanks.  I was leaning toward Fire, but was not sure if that would be to common.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 08:02:58 PM »
I don't think anyone's statted up the monster yet.

I'd be ready to help, but I don't actually know the source material very well.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 08:09:31 PM »
He's kind of a child so I'd go with low scholarship and lore but I Might and mid to high fists.  Mid to High Endurance and pretty good Empathy.  It's been a long time since I read it, though.

From Wikipedia:

The Creature's narrative
Intelligent and articulate, the Creature relates his first days of life, living alone in the wilderness. He found that people were afraid of and hated him due to his appearance, which led him to fear and hide from them. While living in an abandoned structure connected to a cottage, he grew fond of the poor family living there and discreetly collected firewood for them, cleared snow away from their path, and performed other tasks to help them. Secretly living next to the cottage for months, the Creature learned to speak by listening to them and taught himself to read after discovering a lost satchel of books in the woods. When he saw his reflection in a pool, he realized his appearance was hideous, and it horrified him as much as it horrified normal humans. As he continued to learn of the family's plight, he grew increasingly attached to them, and eventually he approached the family in hopes of becoming their friend, entering the house while only the blind father was present. The two conversed, but on the return of the others, the rest of them were frightened. The blind man's son attacked him and the Creature fled the house. The next day, the family left their home out of fear that he would return. The Creature was enraged by the way he was treated and gave up hope of ever being accepted by humans. Although he hated his creator for abandoning him, he decided to travel to Geneva to find him because he believed that Victor was the only person with a responsibility to help him. On the journey, he rescued a child who had fallen into a river, but her father, believing that the Creature intended to harm them, shot him in the shoulder. The Creature then swore revenge against all humans. He travelled to Geneva using details from Victor's journal, murdered William, and framed Justine for the crime.

The Creature demands that Victor create a female companion like himself. He argues that as a living being, he has a right to happiness. The Creature promises that he and his mate will vanish into the South American wilderness, never to reappear, if Victor grants his request. Should Victor refuse, the Creature threatens to kill Victor's remaining friends and loved ones and not stop until he completely ruins him. Fearing for his family, Victor reluctantly agrees. The Creature says he will watch over Victor's progress.

Edit:  He strangles most of his victims so some kind of grappling power or just the Strength power seems appropriate.  Hulking Size is appropriate given the description that Viktor had to make him large because the 'minute details of the human body' were difficult to replicate/create.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 08:16:30 PM by Taran »

Offline JediDresden2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 04:32:58 PM »
Thanks Sancta,

It would be great if you could throw something together.  I always like your creations.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 09:19:26 PM »
He's kind of a child so I'd go with low scholarship and lore but I Might and mid to high fists.  Mid to High Endurance and pretty good Empathy.  It's been a long time since I read it, though.

I actually disagree a bit. Adam was reading and quoting Paradise Lost in a few months: he's clearly very intelligent.

Personally, other than the strength abilities and high intelligence, the source material doesn't actually give a lot to go on for him. That said, I see that as a strength, not a weakness: he's very easy to adapt to your purposes, if you need an omnicidal maniac who hates humanity (bad end) or a beaten but not broken guy who will keep fighting his place in the world (neutral end) or even a guy who sees no good in the world and fights to make it (good end). He's very interpretable.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 07:16:10 AM »
Thanks Sancta,

It would be great if you could throw something together.  I always like your creations.

I'd be game to try with a bit more information. Right now I'm pretty lost on the skills and Aspects.

Offline JediDresden2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 09:49:09 PM »
Just Spitballing here, but I was thinking something like :

HC: A Modern Prometheus
Trouble:  I Don't Know My Own Strength, or Fear of Fire
Other Aspects: Strong an an ox, Doesn't understand Humans, Misunderstood Monster, Built like a Tank.
Maybe something like Quick Learner (he picked up languages and was reading Paradise Lost in a short time), Driven by revenge, All Alone in the World.

As far as skills:
Might and Endurance ought to be high.  Fists, Survival, Intimidation, Athletics also should be up there.   Maybe Scholarship or Lore for his quick learning.  Alertness should be up there as well.

Stunts:
Some sort of Grappling stunt.  He strangles his victims.
No Pain No Gain
Lethal Weapons
Street Fighter

Powers:
Living Dead
Strength, Toughness, Recovery powers of some sort
Hulking Size

Again just my first ideas.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 11:23:30 PM »
I like this stat list, but I'd make his High Concept more like A SECOND ADAM (the Modern Prometheus was Frankenstein proper) and his trouble aspect something more like MY CREATOR TURNED FROM ME IN DISGUST
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 11:25:18 PM »
I'd be game to try with a bit more information. Right now I'm pretty lost on the skills and Aspects.

That's why I used strikeout...because I was taking back that comment.

I will say that a low scholarship with a stunt that boosts it for learning or memorizing information.

Offline JediDresden2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 05:13:10 PM »
OK.  I decided to take a stab at it.  What do you think?

The Monster from Frankenstein
High Concept:   Modern Prometheus (or A Second Adam)
Trouble:           My Creator Turned From Me In Disgust   
Background:   Misunderstood Monster
Rising Conflict:   Fear of Fire
First Story:   Strong as an Ox
Guest Star:   Built like a tank
Guest Star II:   Quick Learner

Skills:
Fantastic:   Endurance, Fists            
Superb:   Might, Scholarship            
Great:   Stealth, Lore            
Good:   Intimidation, Alertness, Athletics      
Fair:     Investigation, Empathy, Conviction      
Average:   Burglary, Discipline, Weapons, Survival, Craftsmanship

Stunt and Powers:
Living Dead
Supernatural Strength
Inhuman Speed
Hulking Size
The Catch is: Fire
Supernatural Toughness
Inhuman Recovery

No pain no Gain (Endurance)
Lethal Weapon (Fists)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 08:44:44 AM »
Sorry, this one slipped through the cracks for me.

First story and guest star Aspects seem a little redundant. And for Lethal Weapon I'd just use Claws.

Power level's surprisingly high, but I guess that's just a personal choice.

Otherwise, looks pretty solid. At least to my limited knowledge.