Author Topic: DragonCon 2021 Starborn or Star Born?  (Read 14409 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: DragonCon 2021 Starborn or Star Born?
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2021, 05:22:48 AM »
As a matter of language that isn't what he appeared to say.  He said to take up the mantle they need to be mortal.

yeah that makes more sense than what I thought.  I don't think what I said is correct.  Molly could have wanted it gone and not had a choice.  The being mortal requirement makes sense. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2021, 05:45:03 AM »
That is the trick.  Yes, on many levels she freely made the choices that got her where she ended up.
Yet, in truth since she had no understanding of what her choices would mean, how free were they?
that's exactly like real life and growing up. You don't know the consequences til after you do it. You might learn and start to have foresight about certain things, like fire is hot. (But at some point that was probably learned from experience too I suppose..) no, it's not fair.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2021, 05:59:52 AM »
They need free will to take up the Mantle, not after.  I'm guessing if Molly had no intention of taking it up, it wouldn't have gone to her.
And I am guessing she had no choice at all. Free will does not mean some things are not forced upon you.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2021, 06:09:42 AM »
Molly bargained with no one other than Harry.  Harry killed himself and once that happened Molly was left on her own. It's the whole point of Ghost Story. Harry placed her in the position she found herself in.  And there was no one who could help her.  Mab calls him out for this in Cold Days. Harry never meant for any of those things to happen but that doesn't change what did happen.  As he tells Maeve right before she dies, free will isn't a super power. That dialog is the best definition of free will that Jim's given to date.
except that it is not about free will but about lying. Which can be an expression of free will but the Fomor lie all the time.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2021, 07:49:29 AM »
Lying is about free will but YMMV.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2021, 11:45:23 AM »
So in terms of Lore additions.

1.One of the irl events of the recent years was Covid-19 I had a fan theory it was the Mothers, but Jim said it was probably Jade Court.
2. Nephilim exist, we've met some and we'll learn more about them.
3. Symbol of faith doesn't matter its the faith that counts. Including Lawmen badges.
4. Chandlers in Mirror Mirror.
5. 12 months shows how Chicago has changed post Battleground.
6. Dresden Files novella has The Outfit.
7. Fae mantles do change DNA. Need to be Mortal cause Mortals have Free Will.
8. Jim doesn't know White Court origin. Kinda discounts most Etruscan theories.

Those are the major ones I can tell from my notes while listening. One or two interesting writing what ifs.

1.Michael was almost killed off.
2. The reason writing picked up Summer Knight on is first 3 books were written in the same year or so and he learnt alot.
3. 12 months will hopefully be finished early next year so hopefully another book late next year depending on publishers.
4.Jim's son has a publishing deal (good for him!) urban fantasy book called "Dead Man's Hand". Personally think it's probably about a "Hand of Glory". Type situation.

I'm sure I missed some but those are the things that stuck out to me.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2021, 12:20:38 PM »
3 heh, makes sense why Gruff gave Murphy so much personal clout.
4 Chandler, or MM Chandler 🤔👀

8*inhales* LIAR! An so ya know if you read this Jim, as a put upon theorist just trying to find acceptance I do understand your desire to conceal the twists of your plot. But I absolutely hate that you did that. I don't forgive that one. I don't believe you for one second and would absolutely pull up to the urinal next to you in violation of the bathroom codex to force a private conversation on the matter.
I AM the Etruscan theory. 😠😫👿 I've been cheated on and felt less betrayed..
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 12:28:16 PM by The_Sibelis »

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2021, 12:34:54 PM »
8*inhales* LIAR! An so ya know if you read this Jim, as a put upon theorist just trying to find acceptance I do understand your desire to conceal the twists of your plot. But I absolutely hate that you did that. I don't forgive that one. I don't believe you for one second and would absolutely pull up to the urinal next to you in violation of the bathroom codex to force a private conversation on the matter.

Sorry mate I liked it too, I missed out going to Etruscan ruins on my trip to Rome so this is my second bittersweet Etruscan disappointment.
Possibly Jim just forgot they spoke Etruscan in White Night.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2021, 12:58:28 PM »
Sorry mate I liked it too, I missed out going to Etruscan ruins on my trip to Rome so this is my second bittersweet Etruscan disappointment.
Possibly Jim just forgot they spoke Etruscan in White Night.
meh. Like I said, I really don't believe it. Jim's been saying for years he lies but I've never specifically seen it, until now. But... Considering the offshoots the Etruscan idea can take and where it can lead I understand why he'd say that.. technically, he didn't lie I suppose, Etruscan isn't their origins. It's their fate 😳
(Saying he doesn't know, is the real tell tale sign though. White court has more backstory in it than any other Court. Saying he doesn't know is paramount to pleading the 5th)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 01:00:15 PM by The_Sibelis »

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2021, 01:26:12 PM »
meh. Like I said, I really don't believe it. Jim's been saying for years he lies but I've never specifically seen it, until now. But... Considering the offshoots the Etruscan idea can take and where it can lead I understand why he'd say that.. technically, he didn't lie I suppose, Etruscan isn't their origins. It's their fate 😳
(Saying he doesn't know, is the real tell tale sign though. White court has more backstory in it than any other Court. Saying he doesn't know is paramount to pleading the 5th)

If it helps in the same sentence, he mentions in the same sentence. That it may come out in the next book. "Harry and Lara will need to talk about something on their dates". So assuming he either was or wasn't lying... either way, not sure which way at this point. We might get an answer in "Twelve Months" on one of their dates.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2021, 01:38:35 PM »

He does not know so if you know better you should of course inform him  ;D  ;D
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2021, 02:34:23 PM »
4. Chandlers in Mirror Mirror.

Yes!  Yet another of my predictions comes true unless Jim changes his mind.  The first I was right on was years before it happened I predicted based on Dead Beat that Butters would eventually be a Holy Knight. 

So the question then becomes, does Harry rescue Chandler and bring him back?  Does Chandler remain where he is to continue the good fight?  Does Chandler become a major ally of Harry if he does successfully rescue him?  Or does Chandler turn out to be infected or some such thing and Harry really messes up by bringing him back to his own time/dimension?  I predict that unless Chandler turns out to be a bad guy or a turned vamp, he will be taking over Murphy, Thomas, and Michael's role as a major partner of Harry, simply because I cannot see the White Council accepting him back now.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2021, 09:38:45 PM »
Yes!  Yet another of my predictions comes true unless Jim changes his mind.  The first I was right on was years before it happened I predicted based on Dead Beat that Butters would eventually be a Holy Knight. 

So the question then becomes, does Harry rescue Chandler and bring him back?  Does Chandler remain where he is to continue the good fight?  Does Chandler become a major ally of Harry if he does successfully rescue him?  Or does Chandler turn out to be infected or some such thing and Harry really messes up by bringing him back to his own time/dimension?  I predict that unless Chandler turns out to be a bad guy or a turned vamp, he will be taking over Murphy, Thomas, and Michael's role as a major partner of Harry, simply because I cannot see the White Council accepting him back now.
I'd like that. He needs a peer in wizardry and Elaine is far to busy doing her own thing(and possibly being a secret Black hat) and I've always liked Chandler too. Though, I'm not gonna give up hope he goes back and gets stuffed in DR waiting to come out via the English gentleman. His mode of speech seems so appropriate for the character.
I think Chandler will be pretty instrumental if he and Harry team up, his key power being foresight and Harry having at least SOME ability in it.. imagine if he could tutor Harry in how to channel it into something usable? Spells to look forward, opening to possibilities in time, maybe even an ultra instinct like ability. Harry's archetype runs along the same vien as many characters who are known for their own foresight so he should have some manifestation himself?

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2021, 09:45:49 PM »

For the exact WoJ...
Quote from: DragonCon 2021 Q&A
Who created the White Court of vampires and/or have we met them yet?
Who created them?  Who asked that?  Where are you?  Hey man...
They've just been around for a long long time.  I actually myself haven't gotten into the origins of that too much.  Maybe I should do that...  ;D Yeah, would that be okay, guys?  Okay.

Yeah, Harry's gonna be hanging out with Lara a lot.  So, I suppose they've got to talk about something.  He's got to date her once a month.  It's a whole thing.  The lawyers have got to look at the contracts for the date, and, you know, make sure things are within their prescribed limits and so on.  It's a whole deal. 

For that, I think the "who created" vs "how they were created" are two different questions that leaves a bit of wiggle room for later, especially tying in the "too much".  Having an analogue for the White Court as Drakul for the Black Court is different than not knowing at all where the White Court came from.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2021, 09:56:31 PM »

Then there is the issue of true love, unless the protection ends with Murphy's death, Lara cannot touch Harry.