Author Topic: Demon reach is Avalon or of similar origin?  (Read 2249 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Demon reach is Avalon or of similar origin?
« on: August 29, 2021, 01:42:49 AM »
I found this bit pretty interesting:

"In Celtic mythology, Avalon is associated with the afterlife and was even believed to exist outside of normal time. It was thought to be accessible by islands far off Britain’s coast. The Celts believed the islands were mystical gateways and referred to them as the Isles of the Dead. After Arthur was seriously wounded in the Battle of Camlann, he was taken to the island to heal. Sources claim the island was also the home of the Celtic goddess, Morgan le Fay."

Morgan Le Fay?  King Arthur being healed there (like Harry being healed on Demon Reach)?  Exist outside of normal time?  Like Demon Reach being created at different points in time?  Excalibur was also supposed to be created there, and is now located on Demon Reach.

I wonder if Demon Reach was a wonderful place before all the dark things were locked away there. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Demon reach is Avalon or of similar origin?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 02:17:06 AM »
This is the core of one of my favorite Mac theories. The fae queens owed Arthur, even Morgana who had tried to kill him and destroy Camelot. So when he goes there, suffering a fatal abdomen wound, they are waiting to heal him. I find the parallel with Mac in CDs uncanny. Maeve pointing out the irony of it, Mab removing the bullet without any sort of deal towards it. Feel like it was preowed from his previous actions.(this doesn't unmake who ELSE he is, it's just his likely earthly identity. I'm totally down with him ALSO becoming or coming from angelic stock)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 11:59:09 AM »
Certainly one of the inspirations for Demonreach particularly given all the Arthurian motifs and the fact it was created by the OG Merlin.

Islands of Monsters have been a thing since Ancient Greece, Odysseus landed on several of them. Circe, the Cyclops.

The Minotaur was on Crete.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 01:57:52 PM »
The Minotaur was on Crete.
technically, Crete was the current connection to Hades vault then, as Woj is hades trials were once the minotaurs maze.
There are indeed many parallel Islands though. My favorite being a somewhat obscure story(can't find it on the web for instance, but I know of at least one mythology collection that has it) about bringing Buddhism to Tibet and pinning an ice giantess under a temple in the middle of a lake, utilizing twelve more temples to hold down each of her joints. This ice giantess had a large number of demonic beings that flocked to her Aura as well... I find parallels to DRs twelve tunnels and MW being crippled. If ya know, the two are connected..

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 05:22:54 PM »
This is the core of one of my favorite Mac theories. The fae queens owed Arthur, even Morgana who had tried to kill him and destroy Camelot. So when he goes there, suffering a fatal abdomen wound, they are waiting to heal him. I find the parallel with Mac in CDs uncanny. Maeve pointing out the irony of it, Mab removing the bullet without any sort of deal towards it. Feel like it was preowed from his previous actions.(this doesn't unmake who ELSE he is, it's just his likely earthly identity. I'm totally down with him ALSO becoming or coming from angelic stock)

Are you saying that Mac is Arthur? If so how is he still alive?

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 07:16:08 PM »
Are you saying that Mac is Arthur? If so how is he still alive?

mantle
alchemist stone
deal
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 07:40:06 PM »
mantle
alchemist stone
deal

I don't think Arthur is a mantle. However, I do like the idea of the philosopher's stone being involved. We know that Mac is really good at brewing so maybe he is an alchemist.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2021, 07:42:30 PM »
I don't think Arthur is a mantle. However, I do like the idea of the philosopher's stone being involved. We know that Mac is really good at brewing so maybe he is an alchemist.

I don't think Arthur is a mantle.  I meant that he may be in possession of one.  For all we know he's running around as the Erl King when he's not tending bar.  His healing didn't work when shot by a bullet but healed quickly after it was removed hinting that he could be connected to the Fae.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2021, 07:46:13 PM »
mantle
alchemist stone
deal
Indeed, the how is entirely debatable depending upon which branch of theory crafting I wish to use. But the simplest answer is something to do with starborn. I don't think it's the epitome of who he is, much like Odin was once Beowulf and what not. My preferred idea atm, is he was the angel who gifted the sword Excalibur his grace, and also the first one to wield it in it's new form, from his new form as a mortal. It would cover all the bases I can think of like him being "out", but having angelic origins. And bonus connection, I think one of the clues in TC that Jim mentioned everyone missed is there's a restaurant in Egypt with supernatural ties. Thinking there's three watchers, all doing nearly the same thing in their mortal life.
I don't think Arthur is a mantle.  I meant that he may be in possession of one.  For all we know he's running around as the Erl King when he's not tending bar.  His healing didn't work when shot by a bullet but healed quickly after it was removed hinting that he could be connected to the Fae.
healing while asleep, I thought of the idea when you sleep your spirit reconnects with your soul, his soul would be his grace. Which is why he doesn't heal when he's still awake.(someone else mentioned this in relation to him being roughed up elsewhere iirc)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 07:48:42 PM by The_Sibelis »

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 12:39:36 PM »
technically, Crete was the current connection to Hades vault then, as Woj is hades trials were once the minotaurs maze.

That's a new one to me. Do you have a link?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 04:43:02 PM »
I found this bit pretty interesting:

"In Celtic mythology, Avalon is associated with the afterlife and was even believed to exist outside of normal time. It was thought to be accessible by islands far off Britain’s coast. The Celts believed the islands were mystical gateways and referred to them as the Isles of the Dead. After Arthur was seriously wounded in the Battle of Camlann, he was taken to the island to heal. Sources claim the island was also the home of the Celtic goddess, Morgan le Fay."

Morgan Le Fay?  King Arthur being healed there (like Harry being healed on Demon Reach)?  Exist outside of normal time?  Like Demon Reach being created at different points in time?  Excalibur was also supposed to be created there, and is now located on Demon Reach.

I wonder if Demon Reach was a wonderful place before all the dark things were locked away there.
Demonreach was chosen for a purpose, not the least of which is because it sets in the center of a large body of fresh water, per Vadderung. In some versions of the myth Merlin is half demon and is locked in a tower in an eternal prison.  Which would seem to reflect what Demonreach is.