Author Topic: Lashiel's distorted messages  (Read 3532 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Lashiel's distorted messages
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2021, 08:14:00 PM »
“Tell me about this parasite.” “I WILL NOT.” I made an exasperated sound. “Why not?” “IT BARGAINED.” “With what?” “YOUR LIFE, WARDEN.”

Butcher, Jim. Cold Days (The Dresden Files, Book 14) (p. 168). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
I don't think your snarky.  Nor is my word the final one.  But I argue hard, although it doesn't always serve me well.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2021, 09:51:35 PM »
I don't think your snarky.  Nor is my word the final one.  But I argue hard, although it doesn't always serve me well.

I know you argue hard, I do as well and enjoy it.  But here is what is weird about that sentence, Alfred said "IT BARGAINED." "With what?" "YOUR LIFE, WARDEN."

So why exactly was Boney bargaining?  Was she begging for Harry's life? Or did she want him dead? I mean after all the trouble Mab and Alfred went to, I don't think they'd want Harry dead.  \

Oh and one more thing, reading the whole chapter, there was no island before Merlin built it, five times in five different time zones, dimensions, and all at the same time...

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2021, 10:41:58 PM »
The text doesn't speak to that. But it appears she has her own agenda.

Don't trust Bob on this.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2021, 02:31:04 AM »
Oh and one more thing, reading the whole chapter, there was no island before Merlin built it, five times in five different time zones, dimensions, and all at the same time...
There was no prison before OG Merlin built it, but the island is not the exact same as the prison.  Merlin had somewhere to stand while making the prison.  Beyond that, the genus loci probably also existed in some much more limited form, hence the ice age injury from the glacier.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2021, 03:56:11 AM »
There was no prison before OG Merlin built it, but the island is not the exact same as the prison.  Merlin had somewhere to stand while making the prison.  Beyond that, the genus loci probably also existed in some much more limited form, hence the ice age injury from the glacier.
You're right, it gets confusing, there was a spit of sand and some trees.. Merlin does use a Way to get there.. Hmm...Maybe he taught Rashid? 

Alfred is the island; page 171 Cold Days Bob explains to Harry.
"Because that spirit is the island, Harry.  The spells, the Well, the physical island,does not existoutside this island.  It has no ability to reach beyond itself.  The attack is coming from outside the prison.  That is why it needs a Warden in the first place."