Author Topic: I can see why some of the gods would be in pro wrestling  (Read 4670 times)

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
Re: I can see why some of the gods would be in pro wrestling
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2021, 06:54:12 PM »
Would winter have become more like summer if the summer knight was sacrificed on the stone table?
The Summer knight is probably not metaphysically heavy enough to perceptibly change Winter.  The knight is an order of magnitude lower than a Lady, who is an order of magnitude below a Queen, who is at least an order of magnitude below the Mothers.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2021, 09:07:00 PM »
Ok, but if, when they make that battlefield where the stone table is on, the more one side wins, the more that side becomes like the loser, then the battle seems pointless. Lets say that summer won a really big victory, would they then be halfway winter?

Maybe the stone table is a bit like thoroughly preparing your food before you eat it. It still matters what you eat, but a lot less than if you eat it raw.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2021, 07:43:54 AM »
Fair enough although the reactions at any major event are similar - music concerts, boxing matches, UFC, various sporting codes, plenty of mega-churches (of any major religion), motivational speaker seminars (think Tony Robinson), movie premieres etc.

People love celebrities. It's pretty well known.

To be honest...I am expecting to be disappointed by this book. It's a bit too corny for me - which isn't to say I don't enjoy wrestling. But at most I'd expect only a few cameos like Hercules and Thor maybe. I'd hate to see Zeus etc. It would feel a bit cheap. And possibly a bit disrespectful depending on the religion.

The problem is that the gods of pantheons other than Christianity have been worshipped by thousands, perhaps millions before. They've had animals and humans sacrificed to them. Temples and statues built in their name. Sure they've faded into the background now. But why settle for something less?

I can see Aphrodite becoming a model or head of a fashion magazine etc. But why would she settle for wrestling? Why would Thor, would has killed hundreds of monsters? Hercules may have only defeated a score or two of monsters, but they were real challenges.

I kinda feel like Jim came up with this in his younger days and thought it was a good idea then. I'd hoped he would mature a bit and see ways to do that book in more interesting ways but it seems not sadly.

I agree completely on every point. I'm with you.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2021, 11:11:26 AM »
I agree completely on every point. I'm with you.

I am as well, let us hope the outline is flexible..

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2021, 12:26:16 PM »
Would winter have become more like summer if the summer knight was sacrificed on the stone table?
Considering the power would have actually gone over to winter instead of having a matter/anti-matter reaction that takes out a summer knight sized chunk of winter's power there's got to be some kind of filtering system in the stone table, we just don't have details.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2021, 02:36:58 PM »
Considering the power would have actually gone over to winter instead of having a matter/anti-matter reaction that takes out a summer knight sized chunk of winter's power there's got to be some kind of filtering system in the stone table, we just don't have details.

That happens and the world is in danger either way, there has to be balance.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2021, 04:16:05 AM »

I believe the Table would break it down into pure energy for Winter to use, and not to make Winter a little more like Summer.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2021, 04:10:54 PM »
(Also fun fact, Hecate is associated with dogs, a good analog for the summer/winter knight)
A goddess after my own heart.
The fact that the Archive exists makes me second guess on her as well.
Yeah. It was mentioned that the Pythia were Archives using knowledge of the past to predict the future, and there is a certain amount of hereditary power there involved in passing down the Archive. Personally, I think that the other children of previous Archives (I don't think it's ever stated that they only have one child, so it makes sense that there would be offshoots of the main Archive branch) have been seen in the series. Namely, I think that the non-chosen descendants of previous Archives are the ones who have Cassandra's Tears, like Lydia (whose real name was Barbara, if I remember right).

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2021, 05:26:18 PM »
A goddess after my own heart.

Yeah. It was mentioned that the Pythia were Archives using knowledge of the past to predict the future, and there is a certain amount of hereditary power there involved in passing down the Archive. Personally, I think that the other children of previous Archives (I don't think it's ever stated that they only have one child, so it makes sense that there would be offshoots of the main Archive branch) have been seen in the series. Namely, I think that the non-chosen descendants of previous Archives are the ones who have Cassandra's Tears, like Lydia (whose real name was Barbara, if I remember right).
I don't remember the Barbara part, but that seems like a neat possible connection. 

I'd also throw the various sibyls in as Archives.  The weird part about an Athena=Archive angle is the Apollo connection.  If the Delphi oracle was the Archive, where is Apollo coming into play?
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2021, 04:18:13 AM »
Yeah, but now they are all migrating to acting.

If Jim doesn’t have a Greek God, turned Wrestler, turned Actor, cast as a Greek God in a film he will be missing a trick.

Dwayne Johnson played Maui of course so definitely not implausible.