Author Topic: Mab's word play about the White Court  (Read 6526 times)

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Mab's word play about the White Court
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2021, 10:36:51 PM »
Think that was in part a reference to the origins of the Sidhe themselves. From what I reckon they started out as beings wizards used to help perform magic (like the deal Harry does with toot, except they ask for them to use some of their innate magic) gaining power and stature from the deals and the perception of them as wielders of fantastic power, ergo gaining it by proxy. Eventually the original beings becoming mantle's of power of course. Or conversely, the ones who repeatedly summoned them gaining such power from it, banner like into an actual power base. All conjecture of course, but it seems accurate in the druid into wizard transition.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2021, 11:20:43 PM »
In BG, I think Harry turned heads because he genuinely surprised the big players.  They weren't aware of how chummy Harry had become with the Little Folk (since they're mostly ignored by them and nobody had real success uniting them before). 

Remember that a group like that was enough for Harry to take down Aurora before other power ups.  That that was how he did it is probably not widely known, but uniting the Little Folk is not a small feat to totally escape notice.

Sure, but Mab and Titania seem to consider wyldfae a bit like the White Council considers humans: not strictly theirs, but they have a vested interest. So you can bargain with one wyldfae, or murder a couple, but when you go after them in job lots, Mab and Titania will take an interest.
Yeah, I think that's a really good analogy.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2021, 06:19:10 AM »
In BG, I think Harry turned heads because he genuinely surprised the big players.  They weren't aware of how chummy Harry had become with the Little Folk (since they're mostly ignored by them and nobody had real success uniting them before). 

Remember that a group like that was enough for Harry to take down Aurora before other power ups.  That that was how he did it is probably not widely known, but uniting the Little Folk is not a small feat to totally escape notice.

Pretty much, it's one thing to hear that he's got a couple dozen pixie minions, it's another to see those couple dozen pixies are armed, armoured and in perfect sync and there's a couple million irregulars on call who are also organised.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2021, 02:14:28 PM »
Pretty much, it's one thing to hear that he's got a couple dozen pixie minions, it's another to see those couple dozen pixies are armed, armoured and in perfect sync and there's a couple million irregulars on call who are also organised.

Or that it is way more than a couple of dozen, that they have a general, are organized, and are loyal to Harry.  The impression I got in the early books, is that the little Folk were not only mostly ignored by both Courts, but abused as well.  Harry gained their respect and loyalty the old fashioned way, he earned it.  For starters he understood their limitations and gave his directions accordingly.  Then he rewarded them well for services rendered, finally he freed them from slavery and abuse by the White Court because it was the right thing to do, not in hope of being repaid for doing it.  However for that very thing, he was repaid with loyalty that cannot be bought..

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2021, 07:28:15 AM »
Harry settled for the Wyld Fae and I suspect Mab would consider it settled from her point of view. Why Lara did it might interest Mab more since it was more or lest a test to see what Mab how restrained Mab was at Arctis Tor at that point.

Mab may also see that their loyalty to HER liegeman Harry makes them hers by transference.

Though - will their loyalty waver in the face of Harry becoming.. um... allied to their enslaver, even under Mab's order? Though Lara was on the Fae side in the Battle of Chicago.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2021, 07:34:52 AM »
Sure, but Mab and Titania seem to consider wyldfae a bit like the White Council considers humans: not strictly theirs, but they have a vested interest. So you can bargain with one wyldfae, or murder a couple, but when you go after them in job lots, Mab and Titania will take an interest.

I would tweak the White Council claim just a bit - not humans as their interest, but minor practitioners. Like when Harry and Carlos challenged on their behalf in the duel right before the Battle of the Deeps.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2021, 06:08:19 PM »

It may also be a clue of what's to come...  Harry leading the Wild Fae.  Perhaps Kringle is grooming him for the job, and Dresden isn't even aware of it.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2021, 07:10:21 PM »
I would tweak the White Council claim just a bit - not humans as their interest, but minor practitioners. Like when Harry and Carlos challenged on their behalf in the duel right before the Battle of the Deeps.

I believe that was strictly Harry if I remember correctly, that is why Toot tells him that it just isn't because of the pizza that he and his friends are loyal to him.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2021, 04:01:21 AM »
I believe that was strictly Harry if I remember correctly, that is why Toot tells him that it just isn't because of the pizza that he and his friends are loyal to him.

Harry was challenging on the behalf of the Ordo Lebes, the minor human wizards who were below Council level. Granny Malvora was saying they were not signatories, but Harry argued they were in the interests of the Council, and Papa Raith let it go.  Harry having them freed in his name after the fight was just a bonus.