Author Topic: Beowulf-Venatores  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Beowulf-Venatores
« on: August 06, 2021, 07:57:21 AM »
So I'm doing Beowulf in my Uni course at the moment, more about the historicity of the legend then the legend itself, but an interesting point is that it was probably an oral tradition before it was written down round 1000 AD, but it was only rediscovered from one manuscript in late 1500s early 1600s.

Given what we know of the Archive and Venatores, maybe in Dresdenverse they were trying to destroy the myth.

Offline Basil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Beowulf-Venatores
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 02:45:25 PM »
Could be, but that's a spectacular fail if so. 

Hwæt! We Gardena     in geardagum,
þeodcyninga,     þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas     ellen fremedon.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2021, 11:43:07 AM »
That's one possibility. The other is that Odin himself tried to destroy the myth. According to Jim, apparently we know that Vadderung and Drakul etc assume different identities over the years because they interact with mortals, and it creates problems so they have to have mortals forget them over and over to some degree. "Memento-style" was how Jim described it.

The question would be, why try to destroy the myth either way?

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 04:05:59 AM »
That's one possibility. The other is that Odin himself tried to destroy the myth. According to Jim, apparently we know that Vadderung and Drakul etc assume different identities over the years because they interact with mortals, and it creates problems so they have to have mortals forget them over and over to some degree. "Memento-style" was how Jim described it.

The question would be, why try to destroy the myth either way?

Maybe it's not Beowulf that was trying to be forgotten maybe it's the Grendlkin/Bigfoots on the War Path.

Bigfoots in America are 'seen' often enough to keep the myth alive, and they are Nature based in fact probably one of the few Nature base that didn't get assimilated into the Fae.

But most supernatural creatures seem to be negatively affected if they are 'forgotten'.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 12:42:20 AM »
Or perhaps we have it backwards. Perhaps by committing it to writing they were trying to preserve the myth, and there by cover for Odin's identity.

I'm not so sure the Grendelkin/Genoskwa are trying to be forgotten. I think they want people to fear them. They believe they are meant to rule the Earth.

What's distinctly different about Forrest People as opposed to other supernatural types, is they are mortal. They're basically like an alternate mortal race to humans. I don't doubt they could summon Outsiders, for example. I don't doubt they're blood is so potent because they are both mortal and extremely magically attuned. But I suspect they're incredible strength, longevity, and magic is a trade off against mortal ingenuity, persistence, and a much higher birth rate. Humans were so vulnerable they had to breed lots and constantly adapt and evolve to survive. The Forrest People seemingly haven't adapted or evolved much if at all, since the Stone Age or earlier. Their birth rate I imagine was already low, but I imagine as humans have spread more it's probably decreased.

I am not so sure that the Forrest People need to rely on belief any more than humans do, both being mortal and not spirit beings. Hell, I suspect Bigfoot's have as much Free Will as humans their choices also branch reality - but I suspect they're a bit more aware of that. Which might mean they're also a lot more careful with their choices.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 08:52:23 AM »
It could also just be because the more people know about you the more they can prepare for your actions. If you know he is Vadderung, head of a cooperation then you have almost nothing to prepare you. If you know he is Odin you know he problably got a spear and is good with magic and planning. So you figure that cathing him unarmed and alone with a big monster is a sure bet. But then it turns out he is also Beowulf who won a naked wrestling competition against a large monster by ripping off it's limbs. If you had know you would probably not have entered into that wrestling competition.

Another example is that if you know he is also Zeus (my guess) then you would also prepare for lightning. If you know he is also Santa you would not attack him close to Christmas.

But of course there could be more to it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 08:56:35 AM by TrueMonk »

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 05:59:07 AM »
Or perhaps we have it backwards. Perhaps by committing it to writing they were trying to preserve the myth, and there by cover for Odin's identity.
True might have been another cover for Odin before Kringle.

I'm not so sure the Grendelkin/Genoskwa are trying to be forgotten. I think they want people to fear them. They believe they are meant to rule the Earth.
I mispoke I meant the Venatori were trying to make the Grendelkin erased from human race memory.

What's distinctly different about Forrest People as opposed to other supernatural types, is they are mortal. They're basically like an alternate mortal race to humans. I don't doubt they could summon Outsiders, for example. I don't doubt they're blood is so potent because they are both mortal and extremely magically attuned. But I suspect they're incredible strength, longevity, and magic is a trade off against mortal ingenuity, persistence, and a much higher birth rate. Humans were so vulnerable they had to breed lots and constantly adapt and evolve to survive. The Forrest People seemingly haven't adapted or evolved much if at all, since the Stone Age or earlier. Their birth rate I imagine was already low, but I imagine as humans have spread more it's probably decreased.

I think the Bigfoots have their Demesne within the Nevernever probably tied to the reservations.

I am not so sure that the Forrest People need to rely on belief any more than humans do, both being mortal and not spirit beings. Hell, I suspect Bigfoot's have as much Free Will as humans their choices also branch reality - but I suspect they're a bit more aware of that. Which might mean they're also a lot more careful with their choices.

I think there are too many 'sightings' for it to be an accident.

@truemonk
I think the more legends there are about you the more powerful you become. Odin likes to diversify to give him a range of legends and therefore power.