Author Topic: Drakul's other names  (Read 1597 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Drakul's other names
« on: August 15, 2021, 04:48:10 AM »
So Dracula is the son of the dragon, but that name has another translation.  Son of the devil.  Jim said Drakul is known by other names.  I wonder in the dresden files that Drakul is also known as the devil (opening up imagery of just how dark this character might be), but not tied to lucifer.  Two different people all together.

I also believe he may be Nidhogg, a dragon/serpent who gnaws at a root of the world tree, Yggdrasil.  This would be important as it would mean Dracula's name may have been literal. 

So who else do you think Drakul may personify?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 05:25:35 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Drakul's other names
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 06:12:29 AM »
Devil, Dragon, Demon.

I think Drakul is supposed to be the evil counterpart to Vadderung.  We know he was something non human and we know he was a star born. Lucifer can be interpreted as star bringer depending on the translation.

Michael calls Mavra as 'Blood of the Dragon'. Drakul uses her and other powerful Black Court figures as henchmen. Which could also explain Drakula's rebellious phase to desperately earn his fathers approval as well as to spite him at the same time. The Black Court were scarey powerful before Bram Stoker. In Paranet Papers during the Russian Revolution and World War 1 they were hunted to the brink of extinction. Around the same time Kemmler appeared.

Just a thought but it's possible Kemmler was a student of his. 2 powerful evil lords in the same region they'd have to be either Allies or Enemies. You don't like to share territory or have a powerful faction on your border unless you have to or theirs some sort of mutual beneficial arrangement.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 06:21:57 AM »
Devil, Dragon, Demon.

I think Drakul is supposed to be the evil counterpart to Vadderung.  We know he was something non human and we know he was a star born. Lucifer can be interpreted as star bringer depending on the translation.

Michael calls Mavra as 'Blood of the Dragon'. Drakul uses her and other powerful Black Court figures as henchmen. Which could also explain Drakula's rebellious phase to desperately earn his fathers approval as well as to spite him at the same time. The Black Court were scarey powerful before Bram Stoker. In Paranet Papers during the Russian Revolution and World War 1 they were hunted to the brink of extinction. Around the same time Kemmler appeared.

Just a thought but it's possible Kemmler was a student of his. 2 powerful evil lords in the same region they'd have to be either Allies or Enemies. You don't like to share territory or have a powerful faction on your border unless you have to or theirs some sort of mutual beneficial arrangement.

I might be mistaken but wasn't Kincaid also known as Drakul's Hell hound?  I'm thinking that Kemmler would have treaded carefully around Drakul, but planned on defeating him after a successful Dark Hallow because as you say, he wouldn't want to share.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 08:36:09 AM »
I might be mistaken but wasn't Kincaid also known as Drakul's Hell hound?  I'm thinking that Kemmler would have treaded carefully around Drakul, but planned on defeating him after a successful Dark Hallow because as you say, he wouldn't want to share.

Kincaid was his Hell Hound yeah. Ebenezar confirms it in Blood Rites, and he's called it by the Denarians.

Yeah I think Kemmlerites the Necromancers Acolytes/Disciples using and playing each other during Dead Beat they probably learned from their Master's tactics.

Whatever the case Kemmler and Drakul would have had to have been aware of each other.

The fact that Drakul is still around would suggest he played it better, albeit with the loss of a powerful Black Court.

Even that could be considered an advantageous outcome from a certain point of view. If the Black Court were becoming too much of a threat.

Nicodemus considered weakening Polonious Tessa's faction of the Denarians a beneficial outcome in Small Favour. Drakul might think along similar lines.

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 09:53:20 PM »
With the Drakul/Dragon connection, I wonder if he will come up in the Dragon book?

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 03:04:57 AM »
Something to keep in mindis the Ferrovax is so powerful he's limited. In Battle Ground his supernatural presence covered the entire city but his direct action could have cracked it in half.

Drakul being trapped in human form may have been because Drakul wanted more direct access to influencing mortal events, but it all went wrong and he was trapped in a mortal form.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 12:42:37 PM »
Mammon or other classical son of the devil figures? The serpent in Eden especially. It would give context to Michael's curse's towards Blamps throughout the series, mixing metaphors between serpent and dragon.
@Con, that could be..