Author Topic: Book 18?  (Read 5416 times)

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Book 18?
« on: August 05, 2021, 02:42:45 PM »

Do we know (some-) or anything about the next book?
Almost an year since the 'last*' book (and remembering a time where I got to read an Dresden book once a year ;) )

* which got seperated into 2 (according to Jim).

Just looked at https://www.jim-butcher.com/ and there isn't even an name for the next one.

LG

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Book 18?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 02:52:41 PM »
The next book is supposed to be TWELVE MONTHS.

It's an unexpected book that Butcher hadn't intended for in his initial series outline, but decided to add to allow for some character and plot development. It's supposedly going to take place during the year immediately following BATTLE GROUND, and will see Harry dealing with the physical, emotional, and psychological trauma he's had over the years. Butcher said that he'd learned a lot going through his own trauma the last few years, and will use some of that. And of course, Harry will also have to deal with all of the revelations and developments in BATTLE GROUND.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 03:22:10 AM »
Don't forget, he is committed to a Cinder Spires book first, or at least concurrently. He should be well into Olympian Affair now.  Though there have been posts they may be being written simultaneously.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 01:41:52 AM »
Don't forget, he is committed to a Cinder Spires book first, or at least concurrently. He should be well into Olympian Affair now.  Though there have been posts they may be being written simultaneously.

Yes, Jim said something about writing both books concurrently.  It's something he's never done before.  I'd be surprised if we got the next Dresden book before late 2022 and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it wasn't until sometime in 2023.

Having said that, Jim made an appearance at Dragon Con over the weekend.  He did at least two panels there.  You know someone must have asked Jim how this new writing experience is going.  In other words, asking how far along Jim is with both books.  Back when Jim was having all kinds of personal problems which slowed down his writing on what became PT and BG, he didn't really give specific answers to that type of question.  He'd mention deadlines or hoped for finish dates but not much else.  If you go back further in time, Jim has been more forthcoming about his writing progress of various Dresden Files books.  In a few days, when a video or two of Jim at Dragon Con 2021 is posted to YouTube, I'll be interested in seeing how Jim answers such a question or if he just comes out himself and tells us how this new writing method is working for him.  Even if he said something like like, "I'm halfway finished with both books", that would tell us something.

So, I recommend checking YouTube over the next few days to see when a video featuring Jim is posted, to see if we can get any solid clues about his writing progress on Twelve Months.  We can always hope that my gut feelings about when to expect the next DF novel are too pessimistic and Jim is much closer to finishing than I am guessing he is.     
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 04:34:12 PM »
So, I recommend checking YouTube over the next few days to see when a video featuring Jim is posted, to see if we can get any solid clues about his writing progress on Twelve Months.  We can always hope that my gut feelings about when to expect the next DF novel are too pessimistic and Jim is much closer to finishing than I am guessing he is.     
I think so too. I checked yesterday, and there were several videos about dragon con, but none with Jim yet. Once there are I will watch and listen intensely.  ;D

Until then I will nurse my pessimistic expectations because it feels much better to be told you are wrong in this case. ;)

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:42:13 AM »
Wow, its allreade 2024...
checking again 2025  8)