Author Topic: Need help building a spell in DFRPG  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Grey Council Warden

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Need help building a spell in DFRPG
« on: March 03, 2021, 11:40:57 PM »
So in the DFRPG how would you build Kumori’s Not Allowed To Die spell. In terms of power cost, and everything else. Normally I’d say this was definitely a thaumaturgy spell but maybe it’s an example of a self sponsored spell, since she did it with the speed of evocation. Also she had very little magical  power available to her during the rest of the book. So maybe some sort of automatic severe mental consequence of being too drained to use lots of power? Anyway just re-reading the book and thought I would get everyone’s opinion on her spell.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Need help building a spell in DFRPG
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 06:58:39 AM »
Been a while since I read that book. What exactly did the spell do, again?

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 08:35:32 AM »
Tethered the dudes soul/life force to his body long enough for paramedics too arrive and save him. She ad to be present the entire time though.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 08:23:33 AM »
Probably just a straightforward Scholarship replacement, then. Obviously the guy wasn't beyond the reach of human medicine.

Offline KlausGerken

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 11:22:08 AM »
Everybody was pretty shaken by it, so it was obvious magic - that person should have been dead.

I would probably not make a "spell" out of it, but rather invoce her "not all necromancers are evil" aspect for effect. Since PCs don't die unless the player wants them to, this spell would mostly be needed to keep npcs alive, and then this fate point is a good way to represent this ability.

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 04:49:49 AM »
The simplest way to do it is to make it to start with the Power Option: Spell from p308 of The Paranet Papers, granting The Living Dead power; this makes it a 0 point Power, but granting Lawbreaker(5) if you use it.
(Once made Living Dead, healing them should be comparatively easy, by the rules - unlike the books).
A post of "I don't understand" will be ignored. The comment needs to say *what* bits you don't understand, and what bits you think you do, to be be worth responding to.