Author Topic: A Way to Demonreach  (Read 4526 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: A Way to Demonreach
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2021, 03:08:59 AM »

Actually when you think about it, when it's defenses are fully up as presumedly they are now that the island has a Warden again, there shouldn't be any Ways open to Demonreach.  Because a Way that can be easily opened leaves the island vulnerable to invasion.  When Rashid and Peabody used it, the defenses were not fully engaged, yeah, Harry had just become Warden, but he had no clue he that he was or what it meant.  Still even then the one Way wasn't easily used.  So Alfred might be able to give Harry a special key for travel through it now, but I bet that Way is now closed even to Rashid. 

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2021, 03:48:03 AM »
The Island's full defenses aren't up continuously.  It could be that the Way near the dock is outside of the day-to-day wards.  No doubt that Harry probably could block that avenue off, but it might still be an option for getting there in general, especially for people that behave.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2021, 10:38:17 PM »
Demonreach almost certainly backs onto Tartarus in the Never Never in Hades domain. We know part of Hades Domain the vault backs onto its equivalent in Marcone Bank, one could therefore walk from the vault to Tartarus and portal to Demonreach.

The problem with this route is that it requires access to Marcone’s Bank, which means having access to the vault. Harry is marrying Papa Wraith’s daughter she undoubtedly has access to a strong room in the Bank.

Harry potentially has an access to Demonreach through that route.

Further the ruined cottage is Harry’s habitation on His stronghold of Demonreach. He has the Winter Kights apartment in Arctic Tor his stronghold there, now he has a Castle stronghold in Chicago. Lea’s garden was an artificial back onto the Never Never, much better Harry’s Castle backs onto Arctic Tor for security. So there may be route via the Castle, Arctic Tor, different part of Arctic Tor and The Cottage.

Two routes but I suspect the first is already in place, the second would require Alfred’s compliance that Arctic Tor is sufficiently safe which it might not be as it has been invaded in the files once already.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2021, 11:01:56 PM »
It's really too bad Harry can't just consult with Cat Sith on creating a fixed doorway between two points, like he did in CD.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2021, 03:18:06 PM »
The Island's full defenses aren't up continuously.  It could be that the Way near the dock is outside of the day-to-day wards.  No doubt that Harry probably could block that avenue off, but it might still be an option for getting there in general, especially for people that behave.

They weren't, but the island has been attacked since Turn Coat.. It didn't have a full time Warden at that time to fully deploy the defenses.  I got the impression in Peace Talks and Battle Ground that the island's defenses were fully employed, if they weren't and there was a way in via a Way, you'd think that Justine/HeWhoWalksBeside aka Nemesis would use it instead of trying to trick Harry into letting them in.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2021, 04:41:10 PM »
I don't think security has a lot to do with it.  It's in the middle of Lake Michigan so it isn't secure, all you need is a boat and knowledge of the islands existence.  Maeve and Lily got there with no trouble and the barges for the outsiders found it without too much trouble. So a portal in the basement wouldn't seem to be a problem, if that was the only place the portal existed.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2021, 04:51:37 PM »
They weren't, but the island has been attacked since Turn Coat.. It didn't have a full time Warden at that time to fully deploy the defenses.  I got the impression in Peace Talks and Battle Ground that the island's defenses were fully employed, if they weren't and there was a way in via a Way, you'd think that Justine/HeWhoWalksBeside aka Nemesis would use it instead of trying to trick Harry into letting them in.
Walking on the Island isn't the same as going down into the cells.  You'd need Warden permission to do that (or convince Alfred that you're trying to save his Warden), so Harry would have been required for a Nemesis plot along those lines.

We also know that the Island's defenses aren't fully up all the time.  For example, the circle in CD is only triggered at a certain level of threat.  I think that an open and monitored Way to the dock would be fine for normal levels of threat.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2021, 05:46:02 PM »
Walking on the Island isn't the same as going down into the cells.  You'd need Warden permission to do that (or convince Alfred that you're trying to save his Warden), so Harry would have been required for a Nemesis plot along those lines.

We also know that the Island's defenses aren't fully up all the time.  For example, the circle in CD is only triggered at a certain level of threat.  I think that an open and monitored Way to the dock would be fine for normal levels of threat.

Harry wasn't fully in charge as of Cold Days, it wasn't until he spent a full year on the island, up until Skin Game did he learn the ins and outs of the defensive system and how to turn it on.  Going to full defensive mode is apparently something Alfred cannot do completely on his own.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2021, 07:39:44 PM »
Harry wasn't fully in charge as of Cold Days, it wasn't until he spent a full year on the island, up until Skin Game did he learn the ins and outs of the defensive system and how to turn it on.  Going to full defensive mode is apparently something Alfred cannot do completely on his own.
Agreed, but I don't think the Island is continuously in full defensive mode, even now that Harry knows how to trigger it.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2021, 08:25:43 PM »
Agreed, but I don't think the Island is continuously in full defensive mode, even now that Harry knows how to trigger it.

I believe it is now though, I seem to remember Harry ordering it before he returned to Chicago for the battle.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2021, 08:54:58 PM »
I believe it is now though, I seem to remember Harry ordering it before he returned to Chicago for the battle.
But the idea that he ordered it into full defensive mode before the battle supports the idea that it isn't in that mode 24/7.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2021, 09:46:13 PM »
But the idea that he ordered it into full defensive mode before the battle supports the idea that it isn't in that mode 24/7.

Perhaps, but times have changed, there was the breech by way of a Way by Rashid, [not hard to see why and supposedly he is on the right side] and Peabody who wasn't, in Turn Coat.  One can make a case for Rashid knowing that way, but Peabody? Where did he get the info?  Full out attack in Cold Days and breech of defenses, all these were pre-Warden in place to be sure, but close.  Full lock down after Thomas installed in his cell, as per order of Warden Harry.  As far as we know, it is still on full lock down, Alfred let pick up a semi-conscience Harry from the shoreline but he tossed Freydis two hundred yards into the lake.  As far as we know, the island is till in lock down.  However even if the defenses were eased somewhat, it makes no sense to leave the Way open.. Because that is perfect for a sneak attack.  So if Harry does decide to use it as regular passage, you can bet he and Alfred have worked out a whole series of passwords and cosigns before it can be opened.