Author Topic: Sidhe vs Lyrics [Cold Days Spoilers]  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Sidhe vs Lyrics [Cold Days Spoilers]
« on: July 24, 2021, 07:14:48 PM »
Can Molly sing along with music anymore? Can any Sidhe sing lyrics that aren't true for them?

I think there was an orchestra in Cold Days, but no chorus.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: Sidhe vs Lyrics [Cold Days Spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 05:30:35 AM »
Can Molly sing along with music anymore? Can any Sidhe sing lyrics that aren't true for them?

Come to think of it, maybe not.  I think she could listen, and enjoy, but sing along?  I don't think so.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 09:59:51 AM »
I don’t see why not. Not all singing is lying and some of it might be magic.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 07:35:14 PM »
I don’t see why not. Not all singing is lying and some of it might be magic.
The Sidhe are so literal that I don't know if they could sing something like "These boots are made for walking, and that's just what they'll do, one of these days these boots are gonna to walk all over you" if they're not wearing boots that they intend to use to curb stomp someone.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 08:01:28 PM »
The Sidhe are so literal that I don't know if they could sing something like "These boots are made for walking, and that's just what they'll do, one of these days these boots are gonna to walk all over you" if they're not wearing boots that they intend to use to curb stomp someone.
Oh they do  ;D

But this is only a specific verse. A lot of them come from times when heroic poetry and elegy and most poetry was actually sung.

Also I do not think figures of speech are always forbidden and a threat I does not have to be fulfilled if someone changes his mind genuinely.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 08:04:34 PM by Arjan »
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 09:43:50 PM »
Oh they do  ;D

But this is only a specific verse. A lot of them come from times when heroic poetry and elegy and most poetry was actually sung.

Also I do not think figures of speech are always forbidden and a threat I does not have to be fulfilled if someone changes his mind genuinely.
Have we ever seen a Sidhe speak with hyperbole or exaggeration?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 10:39:32 PM »
Have we ever seen a Sidhe speak with hyperbole or exaggeration?
Not as I can remember but they can play with words to such an extend that it does not seems to say what it says. They can be very creative within their limits.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2021, 11:48:36 PM »
Interesting question, and I believe it's been answered by another series, the inheritance cycle. Where in, those who speak the ancient language cannot lie, but the main character creates a allegory poem that he can speak and not just read, because HE believes it to be true. I feel music, something pervading not just your mind but emotions would do similar. Though, the nuances that imply bear some consideration. Even in the above example I feel like they could say they were singing not making a statement.
Another addendum, is they could simply change their mind later, they only have to believe it/get into it in the moment. Afterwards they could decide NOT to walk all over you for instance.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 01:04:40 AM by The_Sibelis »

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 02:50:39 AM »

Human orchestra, too. And isn't the Leannan sidhe the Celtic equivalent of a muse?

Appreciate music, maybe not make, maybe limited to how much they can sing along.

Maybe like Lash? She could not make any more, but seemed to appreciate...

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2021, 05:14:06 AM »
Human orchestra, too. And isn't the Leannan sidhe the Celtic equivalent of a muse?

Appreciate music, maybe not make, maybe limited to how much they can sing along.

Maybe like Lash? She could not make any more, but seemed to appreciate...
Not like Lash. The Sidhe are all about beauty. Sarissa had seen incredible things.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 07:12:32 AM »
Not like Lash. The Sidhe are all about beauty. Sarissa had seen incredible things.

Lash in the sense that apparently before The Fall Lasciel made music - but now she can no longer do so. I think she could appreciate it when she helped Harry play guitar - but could not do it on her own.   

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2021, 04:35:00 PM »
To update, the Sidhe and Winter sing Happy Birthday to Harry in Cold Days. So they can sing, and they can sing words.

So the question is, to sing the lyrics of Happy Birthday, did they all need to mean it? Did they really want him to have a hair birthday?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2021, 04:42:52 PM »
To update, the Sidhe and Winter sing Happy Birthday to Harry in Cold Days. So they can sing, and they can sing words.

So the question is, to sing the lyrics of Happy Birthday, did they all need to mean it? Did they really want him to have a hair birthday?
Probably. Watch the ones whose lips are not moving rightly.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2021, 09:07:18 PM »
Probably. Watch the ones whose lips are not moving rightly.
It's also interesting to see that Maeve sings solo at the end, "And many more." She might have really wanted that, if she thought she could turn him. Or she might not have, and lied in song in front of everyone.  :o

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2021, 09:37:51 PM »
It's also interesting to see that Maeve sings solo at the end, "And many more." She might have really wanted that, if she thought she could turn him. Or she might not have, and lied in song in front of everyone.  :o
I think that lie would appeal to JB.