Author Topic: Twisty Fae Logic; Molly Versus Lara  (Read 2036 times)

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Twisty Fae Logic; Molly Versus Lara
« on: July 21, 2021, 02:08:07 AM »
So, Mab has tasked Molly to make certain Harry and Lara are seen in public in advance of the wedding to cement the alliance between The White Court and Winter. She’s also in charge of planning the wedding, supposedly to help her build self-control and help her get over her love of Harry.

Molly, never one long on self-control, being an empath and generally having strong emotions, this will wreck her. But Mab is kind of a ‘what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger’ kind of teacher. She will probably order Molly that Winter and The White Court need to be allied and the wedding has to happen and be consummated in order to cement the alliance.

Mab making that order would guarantee that Molly couldn’t do anything to interfere with the wedding. Until the marriage is consummated. Harry having sex with another woman isn’t that big of a deal. She knows that Harry had sex with Susan, has to suspect that Harry and Murphy were intimate. Whether or not she knew about Elaine is up to conjecture. It’s being married that will kill Molly.

But, like all marriages, it’s only until ‘death do us part’.

Molly, not being able to do anything against Lara herself, might be tempted to bargain with other powers to assassinate Lara. But, being allied with Winter, any attack against The White Court would be construed under the Unseelie Accords as an attack against Winter.

Unless it came from The White Court.

So, Molly might bargain with House Skavis or House Malvora to arrange an assassination. But what high-value bargaining chip does Molly possess that could get them to take out the leader of The White Court?

Harry owes Molly a favor. Molly doesn’t need the favor. Being the Winter Lady she already has unlimited favors from the Winter Knight. But, it’s a powerful bargaining chip, and might be enough to get a hit on Lara.

Or Molly might bargain a favor from the Winter Lady for the job.

In any event, Lara goes down. Does Harry, as prince of The White Court and Winter Knight then become leader of the wamps? Does the alliance with Winter go out the window with the marriage of alliance officially over?

This one has that kind of wormy logic that fae are famous for and it might be another step for Molly into becoming fully fae.

What think you?
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Twisty Fae Logic; Molly Versus Lara
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 03:00:22 PM »
In any event, Lara goes down. Does Harry, as prince of The White Court and Winter Knight then become leader of the wamps? Does the alliance with Winter go out the window with the marriage of alliance officially over?

The White Court would never accept a leader that wasn't one of their own in my opinion.  Not sure what is going on unless Mab is trying to find a way to get rid of Harry without killing him.

Offline Basil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 09:50:06 PM »
Lara is a powerful and reliable ally.  She has immense personal intelligence, intelligence in the spying sense and a very deep understanding of mortal affairs.  Lara is extremely competent and competence is at a premium in the supernatural world.  The White Court can interact with mortals in ways that the Fae simply cannot. 

From a being of Mab's power and limitations, why wouldn't Lara and the White Court be a wonderful candidate as an ally?

As for Molly planning Harry's wedding, this is Mab's "lesson" to Molly.  Basically, grow-up you can't have Harry. 

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 10:14:37 PM »
Harry should currently have True Love protection. That should theoretically last. Mab might be counting on that to keep her Knight from slipping under Lara's thumb.

I'd be more worried about Wamps trying to have Harry seduced to weaken his protection, or kill him to avoid the alliance.

As for Molly, who's to say she isn't beginning to move past her affection for Harry? Her offense in BG might have been more friendly indignation than romantic jealousy.

Offline Basil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 02:06:51 AM »
I don't think Molly has given up on Harry, but time will tell. 

I keep thinking about how Lea put Susan's Hunger to "sleep" in Changes.  It makes me wonder if Mab could do something similar with Lara.  Or, perhaps like the Bigfoot Scion, the Winter Knight's battery is too big for Lara to damage. 

After all, Harry would "suppress" the Winter Mantle with ridiculous amounts of physical activity.  He might be able to *cough* work out with Lara to achieve similar results. 

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 04:56:15 AM »
Our royal families have succession rules - why can't the Whamps? If it had been Elizabeth that died, Phillip would not become King of England, Charles would. Plus, the position of  Head of House Raith is likely the one who can take it and hold it more than merely blood. Same for House Raith running the White court. Whatever House could hold it has it. Question is, though - if Harry suddenly finds himself a widower - does Mab marry him off to another Whamp? I am assuming that would come before the almost-infertile Lara has a child. But any would be coups... Harry is under order of the Winter Queen, doing his assigned duties. Attacking him unprovoked might be seen at attacking Winter.

Allying with the White Court per Mab's wishes will likely mean NO TAMPERING WITH THEIR INTERNALS without Mab's explicit permission, Molly. the actions of the Lady against an ally betrothed to the Knight by order of the Queen may be seen as treason in the Winter Court.

Molly can justify the other women. Elaine was before even Michael knew Harry. You aim at a 40-ish man, you do not freak if he talks to his high school girlfriend once or twice a year when there is no indication they ever kissed since he thought he accidentally burned her to death. Susan? She was still a kid, realizes now she was too young, and, Susan is dead. If Harry does not obsess over her, and he does not appear to, it's OK. Left out Luccio, but that was both while she was occupied as Lady and forced by magic, even if they did not know at the time.  Murphy? Long time friend, Molly at the time was unavailable, being Winter Lady, and she is also dead. (being Harry's gf is a hazard to your health).   

If she was not the Lady, and Harry not the Knight... she might make a move. I don't think she would just stand back. Leads to another question - I assume Winter cannot marry a mortal - but the Knight is not really Winter, he is their liaison.. maybe he would have been allowed a wife? But I think she has to lose the mantle before she and Harry could truly be together. (pact sealing sex a la Mab not included)

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 05:36:38 PM »

As for Molly planning Harry's wedding, this is Mab's "lesson" to Molly.  Basically, grow-up you can't have Harry.
[/quote]
Molly can't have Harry while Molly is Winter Lady. She can most definitely have Harry should she become Winter Queen.

So, perhaps Mab has just supplied Molly with the motivation to kill Mab?

Nah, I doubt it. Molly Carpenter is a dutiful daughter. Let's wait and see who Molly, Winter Lady turns into.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 07:15:18 PM »
I don't think Molly has given up on Harry, but time will tell. 

I keep thinking about how Lea put Susan's Hunger to "sleep" in Changes.  It makes me wonder if Mab could do something similar with Lara.  Or, perhaps like the Bigfoot Scion, the Winter Knight's battery is too big for Lara to damage. 

After all, Harry would "suppress" the Winter Mantle with ridiculous amounts of physical activity.  He might be able to *cough* work out with Lara to achieve similar results.
Wishful thinking  ;D
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 07:37:41 PM »
I keep thinking about how Lea put Susan's Hunger to "sleep" in Changes.  It makes me wonder if Mab could do something similar with Lara. 
Or Thomas, whose Hunger is currently insane even though he's trapped in Demonreach. My reading of his current state is that if Thomas was allowed to get out, he'd go on a feeding frenzy, which is one (not all, but one) reason Harry locked him away. Maybe Lea could hook a brother up (or at least her godson's brother) and allow him enough time to responsibly feed without leaving a bunch of bodies behind.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 08:14:56 PM »
Or Thomas, whose Hunger is currently insane even though he's trapped in Demonreach. My reading of his current state is that if Thomas was allowed to get out, he'd go on a feeding frenzy, which is one (not all, but one) reason Harry locked him away. Maybe Lea could hook a brother up (or at least her godson's brother) and allow him enough time to responsibly feed without leaving a bunch of bodies behind.
Lara would just provide some people to kill if that would solve it for her.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 08:39:38 PM »
It's not just the bodies—that's more a problem for Harry than Lara. The problem is that his Hunger is so starved that it's turning against Thomas and is consuming him. Putting his Hunger to sleep may pause that consumption process long enough for Thomas to feed.

Offline Basil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 12:22:30 AM »
Yeah, I got the impression that if a good feeding or five could have solved the problem, Lara would have taken that route immediately while sidelining Harry's "solution."  Lara well knows Harry's moral lines.