Author Topic: Murphy Family Reunion  (Read 5616 times)

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy Family Reunion
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2021, 05:38:33 PM »
I don't know, I might catch heat for this, but I kinda don't want her back. I would rather we have a spin off where we follow Murphy and Hendricks in a kinda cant stand each other/buddy cop story.

Better to see that then the story of
"Hi, Harry"
"Murphy, you're back. I just recovered from your death. I love you. Don't leave me again."
"Harry, I have to leave. The world is right again and that means I cant stay. I'm sorry for making you hurt again."

Hmm, kinda sounds like the Harry/Susan storyline in DM.

Anyway, I don't think she will stay away forever, but personally I think Harry will have better character growth if Murphy prime stays out of the picture for the rest of the series.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2021, 03:47:48 AM »
I don't know, I might catch heat for this, but I kinda don't want her back. I would rather we have a spin off where we follow Murphy and Hendricks in a kinda cant stand each other/buddy cop story.

"Hi, Harry"
"Murphy, you're back. I just recovered from your death. I love you. Don't leave me again."
"Harry, I have to leave. The world is right again and that means I cant stay. I'm sorry for making you hurt again."

Anyway, I don't think she will stay away forever, but personally I think Harry will have better character growth if Murphy prime stays out of the picture for the rest of the series.

I agree, once Jim kicked her off of the police force she never quite fit in anywhere, so the best choice was to kill her off.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2021, 04:32:18 AM »

"Hi, Harry"

I'll second the request for a Murphy and Hendricks story, especially if they spend a lot of conversations complaining about Harry and Marcone to each other.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2021, 10:01:33 AM »
I'd enjoy Hendricks and Murphy buddy cop as well.

I'd be disappointed if she never appears again in Dresden Files.

I do think her becoming Einherjaar was the natural development of her character. She is a firm Catholic, Uriel and Vadderung are friends, but I also feel like its a missed opportunity for one of Uriels crucial conversations that are good for the soul, for her and her Dad not to see each other again after her death.

In many ways they would be in the same circumstances died but not quite moving on to what's next while performing a duty.

Seems to fit to me.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2021, 02:58:33 PM »
I do think her becoming Einherjaar was the natural development of her character. She is a firm Catholic, Uriel and Vadderung are friends, but I also feel like its a missed opportunity for one of Uriels crucial conversations that are good for the soul, for her and her Dad not to see each other again after her death.

She could have easily joined her Dad in Between working for Uriel and been very happy..

Offline LaraBeck

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2021, 03:18:16 PM »
I don't think the place where Carmichel and her dad are is a place where they are "happy", they keep busy and work, but if I don't remember it wrong, it is a place for people who are not ready to move to what's next. Sounds to me like they are unresolved, people who had been unable to "let go" of what happens to the mortal world, which it's not a bad place to be, since they believe they have purpose still, but it doesn't exactly mean "happy", imo.

"Hi, Harry"

Well, character needs time to grow on his own for a while, I agree on that. But I don't think we have to worry about that storyline, if she comes back, she won't be leaving again. I think we're headed for a scenario where Dresden gets to experience what she did when he was gone, and returned.

Anyway, either way, I fully support Murph and Hendricks buddy cop side story... Hell, I support a Murph-afterlife side story in whichever form.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 03:23:29 PM by LaraBeck »

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2021, 04:36:47 PM »
If she comes back and if she stays, I feel like it would be a fan service. Gards comment about that she can't come back until no living memory of her remains. Now, that doesn't say she can't stay if someone suddenly remembers her, but it feels to me that if someone does, she can't be around. And as of right now, the only way she can come back early is if the rules were thrown out the window. And Harry knows that rules are there for a reason. He will bend them and exploit them, but at the end of the day he will uphold them.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2021, 09:48:23 PM »
If she comes back and if she stays, I feel like it would be a fan service. Gards comment about that she can't come back until no living memory of her remains. Now, that doesn't say she can't stay if someone suddenly remembers her, but it feels to me that if someone does, she can't be around. And as of right now, the only way she can come back early is if the rules were thrown out the window. And Harry knows that rules are there for a reason. He will bend them and exploit them, but at the end of the day he will uphold them.

Harry will never forget her and he will be around to the final reel.. So perhaps this is Jim's way of letting him fans know gently that she isn't coming back, but also leaving them some hope that she might.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2021, 05:11:36 AM »
I'd enjoy Hendricks and Murphy buddy cop as well.

I'd be disappointed if she never appears again in Dresden Files.

In many ways they would be in the same circumstances died but not quite moving on to what's next while performing a duty.

Seems to fit to me.

Murphy and Hendricks could be a funny short story for some anthology.. mismatched teams or the like.

We are pretty much told she was RAISED Catholic, not much sign of any faith afterwards that I can recall.  No signs of being observant.

Do we really know she did not get to talk to her Dad? Maybe Uriel offered her the job with Vadderung and she took it? Mr. Sunshine is big on free choice. Maybe she thinks she can be more effective against the bad guys in that role. Do we have anything beyond Gard's word that she IS Einherjaren? Not saying she'd lie, but Gard could be mistaken. 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2021, 05:47:20 AM »
There is the knot. She is in Vadderung inventory system. And Gard has intellectual about what happened to her.

Mab called her honoured dead, that might mean something as well.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2021, 06:25:48 AM »
There is the knot. She is in Vadderung inventory system. And Gard has intellectual about what happened to her.

Mab called her honoured dead, that might mean something as well.

Yes, as in D-E-A-D,  a bit different perhaps from taking the train to hell or passing through the door for judgement and what is beyond, but at the same time not coming back as she was.  I think that might be what Gard meant by her not coming back until she's passed beyond living memory.  Meanwhile she is going to train hard and drink lots of mead then go out in a blaze of glory in the final battle..

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2021, 08:48:07 AM »
Yes, as in D-E-A-D,  a bit different perhaps from taking the train to hell or passing through the door for judgement and what is beyond, but at the same time not coming back as she was.  I think that might be what Gard meant by her not coming back until she's passed beyond living memory.  Meanwhile she is going to train hard and drink lots of mead then go out in a blaze of glory in the final battle..
Drink loads of mead and not gaining weight, that is heaven enough for loads of people.  ;D
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2021, 10:26:11 AM »

We are pretty much told she was RAISED Catholic, not much sign of any faith afterwards that I can recall.  No signs of being observant.

Actually there are several. She clarifies that the reason she doesn't become a Knight of the Cross isn't because she doesn't believe.

She outright prays to St Jude in the short story Aftermath.

And she turns down a Valkyrie's offer of a threesome in Peace Talks when she states she's Catholic.

All of which suggests Vadderung would have to negotiate with Uriel or someone from the Catholic side of things.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2021, 10:59:26 AM »
Actually there are several. She clarifies that the reason she doesn't become a Knight of the Cross isn't because she doesn't believe.

But then she clearly states by her actions that she doesn't believe when she presumes to judge and damn Nic.
She outright prays to St Jude in the short story Aftermath.
That was a while back, people change and a lot has happened to her since then.
And she turns down a Valkyrie's offer of a threesome in Peace Talks when she states she's Catholic.
Or a polite way of turning down a mange et toi..
All of which suggests Vadderung would have to negotiate with Uriel or someone from the Catholic side of things.

Uriel states in Ghost Story that he isn't in charge of such things.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2021, 01:34:10 PM »
But then she clearly states by her actions that she doesn't believe when she presumes to judge and damn Nic.
If you apply the knights of the cross standards then there are almost none.

That was a while back, people change and a lot has happened to her since then.Or a polite way of turning down a mange et toi..
You are confusing Gard and Freydis.  ;D
Uriel states in Ghost Story that he isn't in charge of such things.
Not ultimately but we have seen he can facilitate things.
SH[Elaine+++]