Author Topic: How hard did Ebenezar try to kill Lord Raith?  (Read 8743 times)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
How hard did Ebenezar try to kill Lord Raith?
« on: June 19, 2021, 09:30:26 PM »
Do we really think Eb tried that hard to kill Lord Raith? Yes, magic seems to roll off Raith. But as Margaret worked out, the Hunger is vulnerable. Harry even guessed (mid-fight) that Raith likely wasn't immune to magic wielded physical objects. Eb surely could have worked that out. Also, when Eb tries to kill targets he isn't exactly subtle. He killed Ortega with a goddamn satellite. For revenge for his daughter...I am surprised he didn't use a bloodline curse like the one in Changes or just set off a tornado or volcano or something. It's not like he couldn't set it up.

By all accounts he is a bigger hot head than Harry. Look what Harry did when the vampires kidnapped his daughter. I just can't understand why Ebenezar has allowed the White Court to exist...let alone the White King.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: How hard did Ebenezar try to kill Lord Raith?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 10:28:47 PM »
Consider that he set off the New Madrid earthquake after the birth of his daughter and possibly after the death of his wife.  Just saying it was a busy few years.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 10:33:02 PM »
True. But the White Court is still standing and Lord Raith is still alive and on the throne (technically).

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 10:56:20 PM »
He tried and he failed. Eb is not as subtle as his daughter was.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 12:11:03 AM »

Yeah, I'm inclined to think if Eb said he tried to kill him.. HE TRIED TO KILL HIM, no half measures..

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 05:50:17 PM »
Yeah, I'm inclined to think if Eb said he tried to kill him.. HE TRIED TO KILL HIM, no half measures..

And yet, Chateau Raith hasn't been reduced to a smoking crater by any satellite impacts.

I don't doubt his sincerity, but he may have had to take some tactics off the table if they would have been blatant enough to cross the line from settling the scores on a personal vendetta into violating the Accords and starting a war. Significant collateral damage to other whampires probably would have done that.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 06:24:16 PM »
And yet, Chateau Raith hasn't been reduced to a smoking crater by any satellite impacts.

I don't doubt his sincerity, but he may have had to take some tactics off the table if they would have been blatant enough to cross the line from settling the scores on a personal vendetta into violating the Accords and starting a war. Significant collateral damage to other whampires probably would have done that.

You really think a pro like Eb couldn't make a grease spot out of Lord Raith without wrecking the place?  It wouldn't have made a difference anyway, if he is immune, Lord Raith would merely have crawled out of the ruins and brushed himself off.  Eb most likely would have been implicated in a number of violations listed under Mab's Accords and it would have been a mess.  No, this had to have been an attempt at a cover squish, an overt one would have led to more trouble than Raith is worth.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 06:30:39 PM »
There was no official war. Ebenezer could kill Ortega in such an open public way because there was a war going on.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 07:32:25 PM »
There was no official war. Ebenezer could kill Ortega in such an open public way because there was a war going on.
Yes, but when he was seeking revenge for the murder of his daughter, there was no such war going on.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 01:33:54 AM »
It does seem a bit odd, yes. Especially since throwing things at people with magic to splat them is apparently one of Eb's go-to's, and if it works with car keys, why wouldn't it work with an orbital body?

Maybe Lord Raith is less immune to Harry pulling something then Eb due to Starborn Shenanigans, since his protection is Outsider-based?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 02:24:36 AM »
Drop a sat on someone in South America and it will raise a stink.  Drop one in Chicago and somebody starts head hunting wizards.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 02:55:00 AM »
Drop a sat on someone in South America and it will raise a stink.  Drop one in Chicago and somebody starts head hunting wizards.
The catch with that argument is that he wouldn't need a satellite, a nice torso sized rock like the one he flung as an opener in PT would be enough to make LR lose everything below the neck if it hit him. It's especially silly with how Blood Rites went out of it's way to show how piss-poor Lord Raith's security was.

Ebenezar has shown a bunch of ways to take him down which is why Blood Rites looks weird in hindsight and this sort of thread pops up from time to time.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 03:50:23 AM by TheCuriousFan »
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2021, 03:43:41 AM »
I agree even if Eb failed to kill him the first time, I would think he would try again and again and again until he succeeded. Look at PT; he is clearly still very angry with the White Court. I wonder if someone talked him out of getting revenge (maybe The Merlin so as to avoid starting a war with the White Court) or someone was helping Eb with the long game and getting revenge that way.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 06:56:38 AM »

Someone gets it. Ebenezer can cause earthquakes and volcanos to happen, he can cause mass death and violence. Why is the White Court still around at all?

Personally, I think there is more secrets. It would explain some of the rage. He wants to kill them all but can't because of *reason*. It's an endless source of pain and rage for him. I don't doubt he had the means, knowledge, connections etc to kill Lord Raith in some fashion. I think there must be some political conspiracy.

You really think a pro like Eb couldn't make a grease spot out of Lord Raith without wrecking the place?  It wouldn't have made a difference anyway, if he is immune, Lord Raith would merely have crawled out of the ruins and brushed himself off.  Eb most likely would have been implicated in a number of violations listed under Mab's Accords and it would have been a mess.  No, this had to have been an attempt at a cover squish, an overt one would have led to more trouble than Raith is worth.
Yes. That's the entire point. Raith is protected from magic...yet Eb surely knows of ways to attack without using magic directly. Enchanted objects, cataclysmic natural event, legions of allies etc. Lord Raith is immune to magic not physical violence. Harry exploits this in Blood Rites when he hurls a stone (with magic) at Raith and it injurs him. Ebenezar could probably get a pebble or a bullet and use magic to accelerate is so fast an accurately it would ignite (effectively sniping an opponent). Except Ebenezar wouldn't have been in violation. The White Court killed a White Council wizard FIRST. So if Eb responded I don't doubt Mab would see it as justice. It isn't like he got in trouble for Casaverde in response for Archangel.

There are only two explanations:
1) Jim didn't think this through when he wrote Blood Rites. Fair enough, he was still a young writer etc.
2) There is some conspiracy going on in-universe.

Perhaps...but what about Krakatoa, Tunguska, New Madrid etc? Who knows what else as well?

Who? The government? Satellites fall every day. It would be labelled a terrible tragedy and no one would bat an eye. Don't forget Chateau Raith isn't the only White Court base, not even their main one.  think the main one is in Italy somewhere. I think the Librarians would thank whoever killed the White King, not to mention any of his species. It isn't like they are fond of them. Lara is seriously worried about the Librarians.

The catch with that argument is that he wouldn't need a satellite, a nice torso sized rock like the one he flung as an opener in PT would be enough to make LR lose everything below the neck if it hit him. It's especially silly with how Blood Rites went out of it's way to show how piss-poor Lord Raith's security was.

Ebenezar has shown a bunch of ways to take him down which is why Blood Rites looks weird in hindsight and this sort of thread pops up from time to time.
Couldn't agree more.

I agree even if Eb failed to kill him the first time, I would think he would try again and again and again until he succeeded. Look at PT; he is clearly still very angry with the White Court. I wonder if someone talked him out of getting revenge (maybe The Merlin so as to avoid starting a war with the White Court) or someone was helping Eb with the long game and getting revenge that way.
I doubt the Merlin could. Maybe LtW or someone. His anger isn't solely about what happened to his daughter too - which makes the whole thing even weirder. What do you think the long game is for Eb then?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2021, 07:10:03 AM »
Someone gets it. Ebenezer can cause earthquakes and volcanos to happen, he can cause mass death and violence. Why is the White Court still around at all?

Personally, I think there is more secrets. It would explain some of the rage. He wants to kill them all but can't because of *reason*. It's an endless source of pain and rage for him. I don't doubt he had the means, knowledge, connections etc to kill Lord Raith in some fashion. I think there must be some political conspiracy.
It would have meant war with the white court and their potential allies without any support from other nations and Mab would be angry. Looking at how the white council reacted to Harry in Summer Night the Merlin could easily get a council majority stopping Ebenezer especially because he was not in the senior council at that time.
SH[Elaine+++]