Author Topic: What is your favorite part and why?  (Read 2559 times)

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
What is your favorite part and why?
« on: June 07, 2021, 10:36:03 PM »
So some time after I started reading these forums I realized that some (many?) People read parts of books that they like. I have always just read the entire book, and usually the entire series from one end to the other every time I re-read.

So especially for those of you who sometimes only rereads a part of the book(s) what are your favorite scenes/sections etc. And why?

Please indicate book and chapter (if possible) so it is easy for the rest of us to find and share your joy :-)

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite part and why?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 01:07:14 AM »
I only do whole book rereads, but the part that always makes me smile would have to be Sue. Who doesn't love a fine bit of rules-lawyering?

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 01:52:47 AM »
Oh geez. So many. I teared up when Michael was shot and in hospital and Harry was about to leave and Charity said Family stays....or when Molly Stood up to Charity for Harry saying at which point has Harry not Stood for them before taking her to White Counsel.....or
Who doesn't love the Jelly Donut Silver Oakleaf fulfillment

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 01:54:44 AM »
  Oh I have many favorite lines that I read and reread and commit to memory in many books.  In the
Dresden Series, among my favorites are when Lasciel begins to transform into Lash.  I believe it was in Proven Guilty when Harry is in St Marys and she remarks that she had forgotten how beautiful the inside of a church was, and another when she took real pleasure in helping Harry play the guitar, it had been such a long time since she had been able to make music.  Another, and I cannot remember which book that was was when Toot tells Harry that there is more to his loyalty than just the pizza.. Oh perhaps my most favorite, is when Harry and Thomas discover the little puppy, Mouse under the car seat, after the others had gone.  That is special because my parents took a litter of puppies to the shelter, and when we got home we discovered one had hidden under the seat.. He became my dog.  My father accused me of hiding him, I hadn't.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 02:36:33 PM by Mira »

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 02:33:47 AM »
  That is special because my parents took a litter of puppies to the shelter, and when we got home we discovered on had hidden under the seat.. He became my dog. 
How sweet!

The opening and the denouement. I need it laid out.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 03:47:39 PM »
I am going to go with a cheesy one. Murphy at Chichen Itza, I think the angelic pronouncement and her actions really drove home just what a crazy amount of power was there, to have 3 potential angelic sockpuppets on hand for team-Harry (of course they already had a wizard or two and the second most powerful of the active Winter Fae, but still).

And of course, from there until Susan's death. It's Harry's first real supernatural battle, not ambush/raid/skirmish. And did it ever deliver. Battle Ground feels sameish in comparison, been there, seen that.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 06:29:18 PM »
I read it front to back, beginning to end, all the time. But I have a few memorable moments with one being controversial with others because of how I think of it.

My top moment that comes to mind is the return of Michael. Not only the sacrifice he is about to make in SG only to get Uriels grace and kick out the gate and begin to throw down with Nic, but when Harry shows up earlier and says "I think I'm lost."

Another is at the end of SmF in the hospital and Charity telling Harry that family stays, confirming that Harry is part of her and Michael's family, blood or not.

The last is the controversial one. It's the death of Murphy. Some find the whole scene, killing the giant to the lights going out, as a worthy but pointless death. Some find it as Jim killing the series (to which I say, give it time, he already killed the main character and he came back). But I am one who is actually happy that she is gone. Before you get out the tar and feathers and the torches and pitchforks, hear me out. The character of Murphy needed a break. We the reader had her in every single book since book one. The only break we got from her was DB. And ever since BR, when she took the deal with Lara, she has been going down a darker path. It was only since Aftermath that we really noticed the change.

So now that Murphy has died we can see her heal. She can find herself again and not be the hurt, lost person trying to play in the big leagues, only to get more hurt and more lost. We can see her again near the end being better than she ever was before. That's why I think it memorable, the loss of the damaged, broken weapon (body) only to come back stronger and better. And we get a break from a character that was grinding people's fears a bit the past few books.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline davidrcoop

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 04:09:00 AM »
I love the Battle of the Deeps. The cumulation of the best whodunnit in the series, an excellent magical duel then descending into chaos - with a sneaky back up plan and a emotional sacrifice.

One of my top three novels and I love the finale.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 06:38:13 AM »
Oh my, so many moments. It's hard to pick even one. I love the humour most of all probably. Like when Harry screams down the phone when his sleep is disturbed, only to realise it's Molly. I love those epic moments like Listens-to-Wind versus Shagnasty and he wins the day. Even little moments like when the Brownies first clean Harry's apartment and stock his house, or when Harry makes Maggie's bike. I love those exciting, awe-inspiring bits like Ethniu's entrance or her first few uses of the Eye. Pretty much anything with Michael is enjoyable too.

There are parts I didn't enjoy much, things that I think needed more work or perhaps just don't make sense to me. Some that perhaps I just don't agree with. But mostly I love it all. It's probably why I keep rereading the books and coming onto this site all the time.

Offline Dr.Blood

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 05:28:39 PM »
There’s only one passage I will go and reread from time to time without rereading a whole book.  It’s the conversation between Micheal and Harry towards the end of Proven Guilty.  Harry reveals how he feels about killing Corpsetaker and that he has the coin. Micheal assures Harry he will be there for him one way or another.  The dialog between the two there is my favorite exchange in any of the books. 

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 09:24:21 PM »
I've done a lot of rereading of select chapters recently but I've always enjoyed these moments:

In BG when Harry summons Toot and friends and Odin and other beings are scared by it
In PT when Freydis flirts with Murphy (as a Catholic I loved Murphy's response)
Morgan's trial/Ancient Mia being surprised/angry that Harry has a Foo dog
When Harry learns what Deamonreach is all about in CD

And so many more moments I get giddy over.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 06:54:22 PM »
That part where Harry gets beat up and then digs deep. Y'know, all of them.

My favorite *plotline* is probably the background development of the Little Folk- I really think that's a significance Butcher is hiding in plain sight, and Harry's going to find himself an Erlking-style Immortal Lord of the Fae, although I also love lots of Gard's little character bits; such as putting her cassette/CD copy of Ride of the Valkyries into her chopper. I still think Hendricks in specific was part of the price Marcone paid for her services. Real warrior, that one.

Favorite scene? Probably when River Shoulders does a full WWE leap into the third floor of the University of Oklahoma's Honors dorm and slaps down all the magic shenanigans. I hear hard rock whenever I've read that scene. If you recall a book scene with a soundtrack, that's some outstanding writing- and also you've watched too many movies.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2021, 12:46:01 AM »
A lot, probably anything with Mab. Toot, or Michael in it. But I think my favorite scenes ever are:

Mister jumping over ghost Harry
Sue
Harry playing the guitar ("anything I can, my dear host")
Some Thomas-Harry moments
In BG, Butters telling the Titan why she won't win over Harry.
Oh, and two Marcone things: the soulgaze and the conversation about the Shroud, when Harry "lends" it to him for 3 days.

Of course, many more.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline MoroccoMole

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2021, 05:27:09 AM »
I tend to go through whole books based on what I read here that triggers something. Though for me the scenes that I go back to are the Harry/Michael ones. 
Harry - I'm lost
Michael - I'll be there for you, which ever way you choose to go

And Michael coming back in Skin Game, kicking down the m'fing fence to face Nic. Damn!
I like a man who grins when he fights.

~Winston Churchill On Enthusiasm~