Author Topic: Uriels previous wars?  (Read 4126 times)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Uriels previous wars?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2021, 07:33:46 AM »
I suspect it would be the opposite.  Uriel's grace would swallow him much like anyone who became Mab would eventually lose all their humanity and become just like the previous Mab.

Michael would cease to exist, and Uriel would be back, but there would be this tiny piece of Michael there.  Michael's soul would be like a grain of sand on the beach that is Uriel. 

here is what I think the difference is.  A Mantle is constructed while the Grace has always been.  Kind of like when Harry compared Mab to HWWBefore...  The Grace is much deeper, real, while a Mantle is a cheap knockoff by comparison.
Was mostly paraphrasing the woj on it.

In Skin Game Uriel becomes a mortal and gets to trade places with Michael, what would have happened if he died? What would happen to his power?

If Uriel had died /somebody/ was going to be holding his grace, well it looks like you've got the job. And that would just be confusing because then there would be two Michaels that are archangels. "Michael the warrior and Michael the carpenter" "Carpenter, you mean like Jesus?" "No not the same guy". So it's probably a good thing it worked out the way it did.
You're probably right about it eroding Michael until it's basically Uriel again though.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2021, 07:33:51 PM »
If I had to guess I'd say it goes - Outsider/Old One war, War in Heaven, Titan/gods war.

Seems likely. Although from the context in SG of talking about wars fought before the earth even existed, I would take it that particular comment was referring to the Old Ones and the Fallen rebellion ... I think any conflict with the pagan pantheons would have been after.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2021, 04:15:45 AM »
Seems likely. Although from the context in SG of talking about wars fought before the earth even existed, I would take it that particular comment was referring to the Old Ones and the Fallen rebellion ... I think any conflict with the pagan pantheons would have been after.
Agreed. Unless of course the pagan gods were involved somehow in one or both of those wars (Outsider War and War in Heaven). Which I think is quite possible, especially the Outsider War, considering some of those pagan gods existed before Creation and might have just as much reason to see Creation protected or destroyed (depending on their alignment).

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2021, 06:10:18 AM »
Agreed. Unless of course the pagan gods were involved somehow in one or both of those wars (Outsider War and War in Heaven). Which I think is quite possible, especially the Outsider War, considering some of those pagan gods existed before Creation and might have just as much reason to see Creation protected or destroyed (depending on their alignment).
Which is likely. There are other creation myths and they all are true income way.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2021, 06:54:57 PM »
Was there a war with the Outside?  I thought Jim said when TWG created reality he made it so that the Outsiders could not enter without a mortal invitation.  That doesn't sound like a war but TWG telling them what they could and couldn't do.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2021, 07:19:23 PM »
Was there a war with the Outside?  I thought Jim said when TWG created reality he made it so that the Outsiders could not enter without a mortal invitation.  That doesn't sound like a war but TWG telling them what they could and couldn't do.
There are myths about the dragon that had to be defeated before creation could even begin. Marduk defeated Tiamat and created heaven and earth from its body. It could be that the outsiders first had to be driven back before creation could even begin.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2021, 10:49:42 PM »
Yes and no. We know the Old Ones ruled reality and were kicked out and/or locked up. There's a WOJ that the Outsiders were told to stay out but mortals could invite them in. There is also a WOJ about how the Outsiders hate Creation because it is so bright and noisy. Finally, there is one about how the Outsiders are always the Outsiders and just look different depending on what universe they are trying to get into.

I'd say there was a pretty big chance they fought to get in originally and the separation of Light from the Dark and chaos of Outside was probably an allegory for that.

Power has purpose after all. Why did TWG need all those angels to begin with? Why did he need archangels, one of which was a general? Why did he need one that was a Lightbringer? Seems to me that they were the original conflict. While the angels and archangels fought and protected Creation while TWG was Creating, I suspect the moment the lights switched on the Outsiders got upset.

Lucifer rebelled against TWG at the beginning of Creation. Per Jim, we know that part of this messing around is partially what caused the difference in Creation stories. Apparently this is also when the star born thing started. Why and how could Lucifer rebel? Well, all angels (including the archangels) must have had enough free will to do that. But why do it at all? Jim has said that Lucifer is in an argument with God (this is from an obscure WOJ from a FB group) and that the argument has bent the universe out of shape, but it also limits Lucifer because he still wants a universe. He doesn't want to blow it up.

So my take is that Lucifer didn't agree with mortals having Free Will and endangering Creation. His core purpose was likely to defend Creation. So he sees mortals as a HUGE threat because they can invite Outsiders in. So everything he does is about proving that point, that mortals and Free Will are a bad mix. Now I might be wrong but I think I am pretty close.

There are myths about the dragon that had to be defeated before creation could even begin. Marduk defeated Tiamat and created heaven and earth from its body. It could be that the outsiders first had to be driven back before creation could even begin.
Pretty much.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2021, 03:38:00 AM »
I think Uriel was referring to the War in Heaven/vs the Fallen primarily, but I'm sure he's worked against Outsiders too.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2021, 07:26:23 PM »
Just an opinion but I do think that all Angels are by definition Starborn.

Michael as evidence was taking them on as a Knight, and won or at least defended against them long enough to rescue the wizards who's magic wasn't effective.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 07:28:17 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.