Author Topic: Starborn WAG  (Read 4334 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Starborn WAG
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2021, 08:28:56 PM »
Jim said that you need to be born at the right place (and time)...  So I'm wondering where this place was.  He also said that of the 40,000 Starborn, there aren't many left.  That's a lot of people to die in 40 or so years.  I wonder if Earth isn't the only place they can come from?  Perhaps some Starborn from the past weren't even humans, NeverNever Being's maybe...  This time around though was Earth.  This could be the first time mortal wizards have had access to the Starborn ability, or at least the first time in a while.

Time and place maybe important but I think a lot more goes into it, that is the impression I get of the process from the way Margaret arrived at her decision to give birth to one.. It isn't an accidental conception or birth, at least Harry's  conception and birth weren't.  I also wonder if Jim says stuff off the top of his head when questions are asked of him.  We take WOJs as gospel, but does he even remember half his answers when he writes?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2021, 09:41:19 PM »
Time and place maybe important but I think a lot more goes into it, that is the impression I get of the process from the way Margaret arrived at her decision to give birth to one.. It isn't an accidental conception or birth, at least Harry's  conception and birth weren't.  I also wonder if Jim says stuff off the top of his head when questions are asked of him.  We take WOJs as gospel, but does he even remember half his answers when he writes?
It is how he thinks about it when the question is asked but he can change it if it results in a better story later.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2021, 09:51:57 PM »
It is how he thinks about it when the question is asked but he can change it if it results in a better story later.

Yup, he answers it off the top of his head..  So most answers should be taken with a couple of grains of salt, because as you say, subject to change when he actually writes the books.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2021, 06:37:26 AM »

WoJ in my opinion are kind of a guide.  I wouldn't say they are 100% because Jim may not want to share some information because it's important for later, or he may just forget things.  That being said, when he was asked he said "You just need to be in the right place, and really unlucky".  We know that time is involved, but besides that it sounds like you just need to be at the right place, and I believe him on this. 

That being said, it's important that Harry is actually a wizard..  A vanilla person probably wouldn't get much help being a Starborn.  Then throw in that Harry may be a true descendant of Merlin (Eb's journals), that is probably a big deal too...

So I think that it's not just about being a Starborn, but being a wizard, and likely a relative of Merlin, and all these things lining up that's a big deal.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 06:40:49 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2021, 10:04:36 AM »
So I think that it's not just about being a Starborn, but being a wizard, and likely a relative of Merlin, and all these things lining up that's a big deal.

But Listen doesn't seem to be a wizard, I'm not sure about Drakul either, so there is more to it than that.  The right place may merely be a metaphor because obviously these three were born in different places and at different times..

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2021, 12:34:47 PM »
But Listen doesn't seem to be a wizard, I'm not sure about Drakul either, so there is more to it than that.  The right place may merely be a metaphor because obviously these three were born in different places and at different times..
Conjunctions. That is how Bob calls them in cold days.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2021, 04:26:42 PM »
Conjunctions. That is how Bob calls them in cold days.

Which sounds more like a place on a astrological chart, then a location, which in something this important could come down to birth with in a nanosecond on the right day etc.. It may also involve the conjunctions of where the parents fell on that time line as well.  So while it can happen naturally, it sounds like to produce a star child does take a bit of effort.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2021, 02:09:13 PM »
Jim said that you need to be born at the right place (and time)...  So I'm wondering where this place was.  He also said that of the 40,000 Starborn, there aren't many left.  That's a lot of people to die in 40 or so years.  I wonder if Earth isn't the only place they can come from?  Perhaps some Starborn from the past weren't even humans, NeverNever Being's maybe...  This time around though was Earth.  This could be the first time mortal wizards have had access to the Starborn ability, or at least the first time in a while.

Thought that was the right place *in* time.

Offline psuedonym

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2021, 02:38:05 PM »
I seem to recall an old woj (no i dont have the link) about Rashid being starborn. He was in Harry's place in the last cycle and didn't like it much. I don't see that come up in many starborn discussions here, surely it's pertinent  or why would Jim have said it, unless my memory is off. In either case if i do remember correctly it may explain why Rashid appears to be on Harry's side, and other parallels between the two. Both are very tall, both can listen, both have ties to winter, both have been to the outer gates, Rashid has a fake eye where shagnasty nearly took one of Harry's, they both have history with the island, chandler says to Harry the the only wizard he sees less is the gate keeper.
Have i missed any?
Edit, they both have uncanny access to ways through the never never that others dont
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 03:12:36 PM by psuedonym »