Author Topic: TV Thoughts  (Read 4537 times)

Offline xman146

• Participant
    • View Profile
TV Thoughts
« on: May 24, 2021, 11:25:25 PM »
This has probably be mentioned somewhere on this forum before, but what are people's thoughts on having an animated version of Dresden rather than a live-action? Personally I'd be down for this if they (mostly) followed the books and kept each season to one book.

(Also, they could also animate the short stories as one-offs between seasons)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: TV Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 05:32:37 PM »
I'm not very fond of animated stuff. The people always look weird. I would prefer real actors.
I love how they did The Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones. In a style like this.

But if there was an animated DF show, I would watch it, but only because I would have no choice.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 07:08:50 PM »
An animated version of Dresden sounds very appealing to me.. To be honest I'd prefer it. You can do much more than with regular actors. A lot of the magic would look quite corny on a real human actor.
LOTR movies were excellent, but then again, Gandalf never used much magic.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 01:12:02 PM »
I am 100 percent for an animated show. Something akin to the style of Clone Wars. I just dont think with how long the book series is, live action would be able to do it justice.
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 11:22:48 PM »
I agree, I would like an animated show. I even think that there are some WoJ about Jim saying that he would like it too.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
  • Screw your courage to the sticking place...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 05:10:34 AM »
I'd love to see an Animated version of Dresden Files n_n ! I'd like it if some of the Live Action Actors were the voice Actors though. They didn't do a bad job on the show.
Rest Well Mdodd, and Please Watch over Us...

Relinquo spes totus ye quisnam penetro hic...

Strong like bull, smart like tractor, smooth like brick - smell like goat!

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 07:01:22 PM »
Yes, I think Dresden and Bob were absolutely amazing (and Morgan and Murphy were not bad either)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 08:55:36 PM »
I'm sorry. I liked the character in the show, but he was very different from book Bob.
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 09:11:52 PM »
Oh yes, very different but I think the actor did an amazing job.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
  • Screw your courage to the sticking place...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 05:24:48 AM »
Oh yes, very different but I think the actor did an amazing job.

Ehhh, I could see him as Necro Bob, but as Wiseass Bob? Not so much.

My Biggest problem with the show was that Harry was driving around in a Freaking Jeep, Carrying a Hockey Stick and Murphy wasn't Blond. I mean come on -_- .
Rest Well Mdodd, and Please Watch over Us...

Relinquo spes totus ye quisnam penetro hic...

Strong like bull, smart like tractor, smooth like brick - smell like goat!

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 04:39:51 PM »
Murphy was too tall!
At first I hated the hockey stick and the drum sticks, but after a few episodes I thought them funny.
And I would have preferred a beetle but the jeep was OK too. A bit more colourful and damaged would have been nice, but it was OK like this.
Bob took me a while to get used to, but I agree, that the actor did an amazing job. I even liked him more than the original Bob.
I liked Paul Blackthorne as Harry.

What I didn't like:
Almost no magic! I mean, come on!!! He is a wizard. Harry Dresden! And nothing set on fire, no kaboom...
And the cases were... so lala. It was a nice show, not boring but compared to the action in the books extremely lame.

Morgan was too nice. Ancient Mai was too young and too present, I mean she isn't mentioned in the books that often.
Murphy's father is alive. I think his death had great influence on Murphys character and her job decision, and it just wasn't there.
Murphy has a daughter. Why? Don't like that. And she is called Connie not Karrin.

And the worst background story: Justin DuMorne is called Justin Morningway and is Harry's uncle! Wtf!
No orphanage, no Elaine, no Walker,...

The whole background has been changed to be almost not recognizable.

All of that could have been done more in line with the books. Even with real actors.
The staff and blasting rod, the beetle, the duster!!! I forgot the missing duster!!!! :D,
the kaboom magic, the fictional historical background.
One could have done Storm Front, Fool Moon and Grave Peril in one season. Maybe 15 episodes. 5 one hour episodes for each book. And the end of GP as a cliffhanger.
There could have been exploded hearts, hyperthyroid scorpions, werewolves, fae and vampires that come in different flavours.
It can be done now that more books are out. It would draw more potential readers, like the LotR and HP movies did.
Suddenly people I have never seen with a book started to read LotR, because there were the movies.

I don't think an animated show would draw that much of an audience like a show with real actors would, or maybe that is just my opinion, because I prefer real actors.
Maybe one could do both. First animated show and after all the book series is done (hope this will be the case one time), there can be a real actor show with CGI.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 04:53:08 PM »
Sorry for the double post.

I would be OK with the actors not looking like their description in the books. If they are doing a good job, it doesn't matter if Harry is that tall or if Murphy is small and blond. I"m even OK with Harry not wearing his duster. It's a fun side fact, not necessary for the story. Or which car he is driving, as long as it is an old one.

I wasn't happy with Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter for example. But I liked Tom Felton as Malfoy. And Ron Weasley was even better than in my imagination.
And in Lord of the Rings I was extremely pleased with the choice of Ian McKellen and Christopher Lee.
But even if I didn't agree with some actors and a lot of things looked completely different than in my imagination, I still loved the movies.

What I don't like is, when the story is wrong.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2021, 08:15:00 AM »
I watched the show long before reading the books, so I liked it. Then I discovered the books and realized how much the show was missing. But I still loved the actors I mentioned.
I actually loved the hockey stick and the drum stick, I think it would make a lot of sense for Harry to disguise his power tools like that, so he does not look like a Cosplayer. So that was probably the one thing I wish the books had taken from the show.
I also liked JB as a coroner  :)
It would have been awesome to see Blackthorn in a perfect duster.

You did not like Radcliffe? I like loved most of the actors of the movies, including Harry. At least until he was too old, but in the first movies I thought the trio was perfect. Also, the other children and Harris Dumbledore. Gambon Dumbledore, not so much (he was not bad, he just lacked some...tenderness, that Harris has). McGonagall was one of my favorites  :D
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2021, 04:33:04 PM »
I didn't like Radcliffe because I thought he sucked as an actor and thought he must have gotten the role because of his parents' influence or something and not because of talent. Also he looked too cute and well-behaved and groomed, not at all like I imagined my Harry Potter. ;) I actually liked him better when he got older.
But once I re-watched the first movie in English I understood why he was chosen for this role. It was his voice! Fascinating what difference a voice can make. So I thought to myself, when they casted him he simply won with his voice so that nobody realized that he wasn't that well an actor.
The actor thing has changed dramatically with age and experience. Now I'm watching movies with him and really enjoy his acting.

Edit: Maggie Smith is great, whatever role she plays. And I adored Alan Rickman RIP.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 04:35:06 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2021, 06:59:19 PM »
LOL, I'm just the opposite. I loved the boy because he looked exactly like I imagined Harry. When he was older, he looked too older.

And yes, about Maggie Smith and Alan Rickman (by the way, the other day I rewatched Prince of Thieves  and Rickman was such a delight to watch).
Missing you, Md