Author Topic: Justine Nemfected from the beginning?  (Read 3334 times)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Justine Nemfected from the beginning?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2021, 05:20:53 AM »
I disagree, the moment she became the lover of Thomas, she became valuable.  Why? Because that gave them a spy with in the Raith family. 

Why would they need the lover of a hated outcast to spy on a Wampire house that is allied with them?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2021, 10:51:29 AM »
Why would they need the lover of a hated outcast to spy on a Wampire house that is allied with them?

Welcome to the real world, there are several cases where spies of so called allies have been caught. For starters they'd have known that Margaret who was the mother of a son of their ally leader left him and gave a birth to a star born for the other side..  They might want to know why?  Also they might wonder if Thomas was a "plant" that she left behind when she left Raith for Malcolm. 

It's called the long game.. Knowing that Thomas and Harry were half brothers, and I find it hard to think that Nemesis didn't know that.  Eventually they might think they'd get together at some point. So why not get to Harry, through Thomas?  Perhaps because of his mother, they couldn't infect Thomas, but they could get the next best thing, someone he loves, Justine.  They nearly succeeded,  they brought down Thomas,  almost succeeded in pitting the opposition against one another, destroying a city, and came close to taking Harry with it.  Only thing that saved an exhausted, wounded Harry in the end was the closeness to the island and Alfred being able to bail him out when HWWB attacked.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 11:24:02 AM by Mira »

Offline Basil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2021, 08:00:35 PM »
This is an excellent question. 

My personal belief is that Justine was not infected from the beginning.  Instead, I think she became infected sometime between Ghost Story and Cold Days. 

First, we know that Justine truly loved Thomas and he truly loved her back.  This, and in particular the moment of self-sacrifice made by Justine, granted her protection against the Raiths.  I do not think that a Nem-fected person could acquire that protection.  For example, Harry was never granted that same protection from his relationship with Lucio.  Even though Harry loved her -- Harry falls in love very easily -- Lucio never truly loved him in return.  Lucio couldn't because her mind was not fully her own. 

Justine looses that protection sometime after Ghost Story.  We THINK that we know how and why -- Justine and Thomas essentially cheat on each other on purpose to break that bond, and then re-establish it.  But, is that actually what is happening?  What if Justine LET Nemesis in, not understanding its nature, but believing that it could give her Thomas back (which of course, it did).  Perhaps this is the reason that Uriel didn't mention Nemesis or notice the presence of Nemesis in that scene.

In Cold Days, I believe that Justine was Nem-fected.  Maeve believed that she would kill Lilly, take Sarissa away from Mab by placing her with Summer and if Mab took retribution by killing Maeve in return would only pass the mantle to the pre-nemfected Justine, who was also on the island.  Maeve messed up by not realizing that Mab's back-up plan was also there -- Molly.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2021, 08:36:49 PM »
I think Justine became infected on the islands cold days when she was captured. Nemesis had Togo somewhere after Maeve was killed anyway.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]