Author Topic: Great Jim interview from December 2020  (Read 11556 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Great Jim interview from December 2020
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2021, 08:46:15 PM »
Yeah, but the illusion of Shelia was meant to seduce Harry, once he was seduced, Lasciel would step in.  If Shelia was a guy named Chad, Harry's natural defenses and wateriness wouldn't have dropped half so fast.
Sure but the question was are Lash and Lasciel females or is gender meaningless for them?
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2021, 11:53:18 PM »
Sure but the question was are Lash and Lasciel females or is gender meaningless for them?

Apparently not, Lash/Lasciel had a child with Id Harry, so in the effort to seduce and sway Harry, Lasciel became very much a female.. Also the times when Lasciel's shadow or Lash allows Harry to see her, it is always a "she."  The gender is unmistakable.  Where as when Uriel appears, there is no doubt that he is a he, even when he takes on the appearence of a mortal, i.e. Jake.  So either there are two genders or more among angels, or when Lasciel fell, she decided she'd be a she... Do we know the sex of Deidre's Fallen?  That may or may not give us a little more information.  Andriel is a he, I am pretty certain. 

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2021, 01:44:44 AM »
Is it up to him?  I mean Mab can plot or Lara can plot, drug Harry, get some woman to go to bed and have sex with him when he is vulnerable... That's the end of his protection.. Now Mab might want to keep her Knight, but in revenge for what she thinks Harry did to Thomas.. She said as much on Demonreach, and Harry knows if she can she will get her revenge.

My guess is Lara will get even with Harry by making him do something, and most likely something that Harry won't like, in order to settle the balance between them.  Whatever Lara will demand of Harry, it will be something reasonable from the standpoint of "getting even" but something that will probably make Harry look bad, especially to the White Council. 

I think Lara wants to use Harry, not destroy him; at least on a conscious level.  Of course, Lara's demon doesn't have a problem destroying anyone and can sometimes do what it wants regardless of what cold calculation would say is the best or smartest move to make.

I disagree about Harry being suicidal angry at Mab at the end of Battle Ground.  He isn't, actually he understands on some level what she is trying to do and accepts alliances cemented by marriage.  That doesn't mean he has to like it.  Molly is the one that is really angry, most likely because she knows the real reasons behind it, hence the look she gave Lara after she and Harry battled the Kracken, the look that Harry admits now that he missed.. So stay tuned it isn't over and I doubt that there will be wedding bells..

Your post got me thinking.  We know that Mab doesn't want Lara to devour Harry, but perhaps she doesn't have a problem with Lara controlling Harry.  If Mab has enough leverage on Lara she could control Harry by proxy.  Harry would still have free will; more or less, because it's not the same thing as complete mind control, but with Harry addicted to Lara, Mab wouldn't have to take the time to find ways to force Harry to do her bidding.  If Molly even suspects that is what Mab is trying to achieve it would explain her anger.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2021, 02:46:38 AM »
It would make Harry less effective so no. I think Mab is pretty transparant about what she wants from Molly and Harry both.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline LaraBeck

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2021, 07:42:18 PM »
Your post got me thinking.  We know that Mab doesn't want Lara to devour Harry, but perhaps she doesn't have a problem with Lara controlling Harry.  If Mab has enough leverage on Lara she could control Harry by proxy.  Harry would still have free will; more or less, because it's not the same thing as complete mind control, but with Harry addicted to Lara, Mab wouldn't have to take the time to find ways to force Harry to do her bidding.  If Molly even suspects that is what Mab is trying to achieve it would explain her anger.

Oh, wow... Now you got me thinking... That's actually not a bad strategy at all, I think.  :o :o :o

I think Mab might use whatever methods would be more affective and cause her less grief. Now, what does she have that she can use to control Lara would be the question.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2021, 08:25:47 PM »
Taking a ride back on the way back machine I am minded of the fact that the the wild fae were used as lanterns to light the path in White Knight.
"Of course," I said, "there's been some uncharacteristic behavior going around lately."

Lara tilted her head at me, frowning.

"Oh, come on," I said. "You think it's a little odd the faeries didn't immediately stomp all over the Red Court when they violated Unseelie territory a couple of years back? Don't tell me you're trapping the little faeries because it's cheaper than getting those paper party lanterns."

Lara narrowed her eyes at me.

"You're testing their reaction," I said. "Giving a minor but deliberate insult and seeing what happens."
Maybe it's get even time.  You know how Mab is.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2021, 09:37:12 PM »
Taking a ride back on the way back machine I am minded of the fact that the the wild fae were used as lanterns to light the path in White Knight.Maybe it's get even time.  You know how Mab is.
Yes, but that was the little Folk that they used, and Harry forced them to free them.  This is at heart as to why Toot and Za"Gard are so loyal to Harry, it isn't just the pizza.  Mab might have miscalculated there, Took and Company took down the Summer Lady, there is no reason now that they have some experience that the couldn't take down the Winter Queen.. Mab better take care as to how she treats Harry and so should Lara, because they will have answer to Major-general Toot.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2021, 10:06:42 PM »
Connect the dots for me. I'm suggesting that Mab might be taking revenge on Lara for using the wild fey in that fashion.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2021, 11:51:02 PM »
I think people are forgetting something important about the look that Molly gave Lara at the beginning of BG. Word got around about the illusion of Lara and Harry getting it on. Molly might just be a little pissed about that, whether it be she knew that they were using some sort of illusion but not that they would be doing it in the illusion, or she thinks that it was real and so yet again Harry is with another person that is not her, even though she can't do anything because of the mantle.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline LaraBeck

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2021, 02:17:42 AM »
I think people are forgetting something important about the look that Molly gave Lara at the beginning of BG. Word got around about the illusion of Lara and Harry getting it on. Molly might just be a little pissed about that, whether it be she knew that they were using some sort of illusion but not that they would be doing it in the illusion, or she thinks that it was real and so yet again Harry is with another person that is not her, even though she can't do anything because of the mantle.

Oh! That's absolutely right! Word must have spread around that evening that Harry and Lara were getting it on. I don't see how Molly would have known that it wasn't true. I think only Lara, Freydis, Murph and Harry knew of the plan. Harry was keeping it all pretty hush.

I wonder how that also adds up to Harry's reputation, and people thinking that he's on the wrong side now. I mean, I wonder if people knew about him and Karrin being an item, like Ramirez for example. If he did, isn't that another reason to think ill of Harry? Like, now he's a guy who on top of all the other stuff, also cheats on his partner?

But anyway, I think you're pointing out something very important.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2021, 04:05:49 AM »
Oh! That's absolutely right! Word must have spread around that evening that Harry and Lara were getting it on. I don't see how Molly would have known that it wasn't true. I think only Lara, Freydis, Murph and Harry knew of the plan. Harry was keeping it all pretty hush.

I wonder how that also adds up to Harry's reputation, and people thinking that he's on the wrong side now. I mean, I wonder if people knew about him and Karrin being an item, like Ramirez for example. If he did, isn't that another reason to think ill of Harry? Like, now he's a guy who on top of all the other stuff, also cheats on his partner?

But anyway, I think you're pointing out something very important.
It was definitely a deliberate move from Lara and Freydis, making it look like Harry is already in the White Court's thrall before the marriage comes up rather than being 100% forced into it.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2021, 10:02:01 PM »
But if that was the case, would there not have been some sort of reaction targeting Harry also?
A wounded look, not being in a joking mood, something?

Offline MoroccoMole

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2021, 05:59:38 AM »
So I'm watching this interview again, and the podcasters asked about when we'd see Thomas again.  They all want to know when they'd see him again, because the feared missing him.  JB's reply was "you could say he hasn't grown very much".  Perhaps Demonreach is the Chrysalis and Thomas is the soon to be more powerfull butterfly.
I like a man who grins when he fights.

~Winston Churchill On Enthusiasm~

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2021, 10:09:53 AM »
So I'm watching this interview again, and the podcasters asked about when we'd see Thomas again.  They all want to know when they'd see him again, because the feared missing him.  JB's reply was "you could say he hasn't grown very much".  Perhaps Demonreach is the Chrysalis and Thomas is the soon to be more powerfull butterfly.

Yes, Jim had a chance to make him interesting for a while, at the end of Turn Coat after Shaggy had at him for a while.  Harry was taken aback, his brother or at least the human part of him had gone. Thomas for a while at any rate was pure cold predator..  Harry didn't know how to deal with him, but by the next book Thomas was what he always was as was the relationship.

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2021, 08:50:21 PM »

Makes me wonder if being faced with all the badness he has ever done and then being given time to reflect on it, and possibly to confront his Demon might give him greater control.  We know the Demon can feed on any emotion - different houses just choose to specialize in different emotions - pain, fear, and lust.  What if he were to... recalibrate to Hope or Love.  Would he be able to feed from the angel within a holy sword of that type?  Imagine a white court vampire fed by an angel wielding a holy sword...