Author Topic: Great Jim interview from December 2020  (Read 11609 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Great Jim interview from December 2020
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2021, 12:23:10 PM »
Mab takes Harry's feelings into account only when it doesn't disrupt her plans to do so. Harry was near a suicidal state of anger with her at the end of Battle Ground and this would only be a continuation of the orders she gave him then. He might rage against it(Hmmn, this could be how he gets into Mirror, Mirror with Mab showing him the way his choices can go wrong) but he can hardly get more angry if she lays it out for him in her rational, practical and implacable manner. He can get angry about it but he been angry at everything she's had him do and still he does it because that was the deal between them. Unless he can find a face saving way to cement the alliance while showing the marriage is unnecessary, he's stuck.

I disagree about Harry being suicidal angry at Mab at the end of Battle Ground.  He isn't, actually he understands on some level what she is trying to do and accepts alliances cemented by marriage.  That doesn't mean he has to like it.  Molly is the one that is really angry, most likely because she knows the real reasons behind it, hence the look she gave Lara after she and Harry battled the Kracken, the look that Harry admits now that he missed.. So stay tuned it isn't over and I doubt that there will be wedding bells..

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2021, 04:10:21 PM »
Harry has had sex with four women that we are aware of.  Elaine, Susan, Luccio and Murphy. Two are dead. One was mind raped and coerced.  The other was a tool in a plot to turn Harry into a killer and may yet be a bad guy.  I hope Jim is going to up his game, it's getting tiresome.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2021, 04:54:33 PM »
Harry has had sex with four women that we are aware of.  Elaine, Susan, Luccio and Murphy. Two are dead. One was mind raped and coerced.  The other was a tool in a plot to turn Harry into a killer and may yet be a bad guy.  I hope Jim is going to up his game, it's getting tiresome.

I think one has to be careful how one states this.  I don't think you mean for it to be the way it sounds.  Harry had nothing to do with what happened to Elaine, that was all Justin.  Luccio was mind raped before she got involved with Harry.  Murphy went into the relationship with her eyes open, her decision to go out into the night half crippled monster hunting.  Harry didn't make Susan steal that invitation... He should have practiced safe sex, but he wasn't exactly himself at the time.  Moths are attracted to flame, sometimes they get burnt..  The women attracted to Harry love the excitement, they want a part of the action, sometimes there is a heavy price to pay for that.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2021, 05:12:33 PM »
You forgot Mab.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2021, 07:45:00 PM »
I think one has to be careful how one states this.  I don't think you mean for it to be the way it sounds.  Harry had nothing to do with what happened to Elaine, that was all Justin.  Luccio was mind raped before she got involved with Harry.  Murphy went into the relationship with her eyes open, her decision to go out into the night half crippled monster hunting.  Harry didn't make Susan steal that invitation... He should have practiced safe sex, but he wasn't exactly himself at the time.  Moths are attracted to flame, sometimes they get burnt..  The women attracted to Harry love the excitement, they want a part of the action, sometimes there is a heavy price to pay for that.
What?  They're characters written by Jim. He used them to torment Harry.  That's what Jim says.
You forgot Mab.
I'll be really surprised if she makes it to the end.  Plus he didn't really sleep with her, did he?  He never left the church.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2021, 07:50:45 PM »

A lot of characters have died throughout the books.  Why are you focused on the ones Harry has been romantic with?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2021, 08:00:26 PM »
A lot of characters have died throughout the books.  Why are you focused on the ones Harry has been romantic with?

Yeah, and considering the kind of woman they were, stuff happens.   Elaine is a wizard, not her fault she got adopted by the same scum bag that adopted Harry.  She got caught by surprise and was enthralled, he got away.  By the very nature of the line of reporting that she was in, Susan was headed for trouble.  Basically deep down I don't believe she believed her own eyes and experience.  She took chances she shouldn't have.  Luccio is a Warden, it isn't her fault that that the Corpstaker took her body, nor is it the fault of Harry.  Nor was it his fault that Peabody messed with her head.  Murphy was a cop, being a cop is dangerous, cops get killed all of the time.. So while they all had Harry in common, he wasn't the reason why they died.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2021, 09:09:13 PM »
What?  They're characters written by Jim. He used them to torment Harry.  That's what Jim says.I'll be really surprised if she makes it to the end.  Plus he didn't really sleep with her, did he?  He never left the church.
He left his body and slept with Mab who is just like Lea of two worlds. I think it counts.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2021, 12:14:24 AM »
I disagree about Harry being suicidal angry at Mab at the end of Battle Ground.  He isn't, actually he understands on some level what she is trying to do and accepts alliances cemented by marriage.  That doesn't mean he has to like it.  Molly is the one that is really angry, most likely because she knows the real reasons behind it, hence the look she gave Lara after she and Harry battled the Kracken, the look that Harry admits now that he missed.. So stay tuned it isn't over and I doubt that there will be wedding bells..

Harry was so pissed at the the wedding declaration that Molly had to restrain him twice from lipping off to Mab in front of others. And Harry knows that's a death sentence, it's even in his thoughts but he was going to do it anyway because he was angry he didn't care. He only calms down after Molly and Lara get her to agree to the year of mourning and courtship. Mab even realizes it, and allows him to vent somewhat in their private conversation.

As far as the actual wedding, I favor it going through just because I want to read the chapters of Thomas' reaction afterwards and Eb, Ramirez and Luccio thought which we (hopefully) will get in Twelve Months.

But Harry has an out. Marrying Lara is just another task he was given as Winter Knight and Mab has given him complete leeway in how he accomplishes her task(It was part of Harry's deal for acceptance). If he can find a way out, that saves face all around and still cements the alliance, Mab will mark it down as another task accomplished and move on. Her, "It has a year to be different statement" is open ended.   

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2021, 03:56:12 AM »
He left his body and slept with Mab who is just like Lea of two worlds. I think it counts.

That wasn't sleeping with her, that was a ritual. You can't have sex with a literal force of nature. Harry made reference to that.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2021, 10:51:50 AM »
That wasn't sleeping with her, that was a ritual. You can't have sex with a literal force of nature. Harry made reference to that.
Ritual sex counts. The description was quite clear. Also Sanya.
Of course it was not like normal. The rest is Harry in denial.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2021, 11:28:04 AM »
Ritual sex counts. The description was quite clear. Also Sanya.
Of course it was not like normal. The rest is Harry in denial.

Ritual sex might count, but it isn't sleeping with someone, that implies being lovers, even for a one night stand.  Yes, Harry had ritual sex with Mab/Winter, once, but he never was her lover, not even close.  The four women mentioned were his lovers.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2021, 12:47:27 PM »
Michael killed the last Dragon.  I was under the impression Eb was involved in the death of one before that.
The last time a dragon died, according to Harry in Battle Ground, was the Tunguska Event. We know Eb feels responsible for this (as Blackstaff) from Blood Rites. It was one of the "necessary things" he had to do. So we can infer that Ebenezer either killed or was involved in the killing of the Dragon in that event.

However, this contradicts Michael's story. Michael killed Siriothrax and saved Charity from the Dragon. It was a big deal at the time. In Grave Peril, Ferrovax specifically confirms that Michael killed Siriothrax after Michael states it.

Tunguska happened in 1908. This would have been decades before Michael was born. So which event is the last time a Dragon died? Or is something else going on...

If I understand you correctly, you're of the opinion that the female love interests are rather two-dimensional and/or not given very complex stories that don't involve the central character?

I think it's fair to say that some of the women could have been fleshed out a little more. Elaine sadly hasn't been seen from in a long time, and while I am almost certain she is central to the greater plot and therefore will show up again eventually, it's been a long time and I wouldn't mind finding out a bit more about her besides her relationship with Harry. Susan fitted the mould well enough, and I think she got a fairly good ending for a character (that as far as I can tell) who was only really a side character to begin with. I think I would like to learn more about her time with the Fellowship and such though, but I don't know that it would have added much to include it in the earlier books.

Luccio also has disappeared a bit, although that is natural considering Jim has sort-of pushed the White Council out of the frame. I think other characters fulfil her role these days and so Jim doesn't need her. I do agree that her whole being mind-controlled into sex with Harry was pretty ick, but for me this is one of those stories/genres that isn't so clean and comes with the territory - but I know not everyone agrees. Murphy (and I am aware that no matter what I say next will probably annoy some section of the fanbase) got a fairly good ending, and a fairly meaty story throughout the series. Murphy wasn't just Harry's lover - she was his antagonist, his colleague, then his friend and finally lover. She will almost assuredly return at the big ending for some moment of awesome. I can think of many IPs that have done something similar.

Harry is defined in many ways by his various relationships (not just the romantic ones). The deaths are important parts of that, to my mind. Harry also has a whole bunch of new relationships forming (some of which are romantic, and having been simmering away for years). I think Jim will do them justice, his writing has grown and improved a lot over the years. I think it's important to remember he was only a young man in his 20s when he started the series, and he hadn't fully developed his skills or ideas in the series. So yes, some characters weren't as good as they could perhaps have been, but then again Jim had to start somewhere. I am not so worried about the future relationships myself. But that's just one person's opinion.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2021, 12:53:04 PM »
Ritual sex might count, but it isn't sleeping with someone, that implies being lovers, even for a one night stand.  Yes, Harry had ritual sex with Mab/Winter, once, but he never was her lover, not even close.  The four women mentioned were his lovers.
You have to draw a line somewhere though I might add Lasciel/Lash. They were extremely intimate being in the same head and they do have a child together.

“Lasciel,” I whispered. “Hello, lover,” said a throaty, playful voice that was not quite Hannah Ascher’s own. “You have no idea how much I’ve missed you.”
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2021, 02:51:22 PM »
You have to draw a line somewhere though I might add Lasciel/Lash. They were extremely intimate being in the same head and they do have a child together.

Which isn't the same as the mere mortal lovers Harry has had.  Also it is the subconscious Harry that fiddled with Lasciel... Or maybe Lasciel fiddled with him, because she felt she could influence him more and that he agreed with her views, than the conscious Harry.. However in the end, it was Lash that won out, though I doubt that it was Lash who really was his subconscious' lover.