Author Topic: Great Jim interview from December 2020  (Read 11549 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Great Jim interview from December 2020
« on: May 19, 2021, 04:32:45 AM »
I don't know how many have viewed this but Jim does drop some really interesting stuff

Eye of Balor can kill anything, even Uriel (if he chose to sit there and do nothing), and Dresden has it. 21:51
Ebenezer is good at all magic and can beat just about anyone in a duel  29:20
Jim will not confirm if Elaine is in fact a Starborn.  There used to be 40,000 - 50,000 in this cycle!!  Not many left now after 40 years. 42.04
The White Council see's equipment (blasting rod, rings ect) as a crutch.  Kid toys.  Experienced wizards don't need them 53:00
Eb was involved with one of the Dragon's being killed (it's a big deal)  55:11
Nemesis discussion. it can only be so many places at once, Uriel can't detect it, it sounded like Jim was teasing about Mab being Nemfected and being near Mac when he was wounded, has difficulty predicting human responses  59:28
The British guy in Demonreach was put there by the First Warden...  Hints of time travel stuff??  1:03:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGgyJNMA4q8
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 04:40:52 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
Re: Great Jim interview from December 2020
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 01:39:53 AM »
I listened to this shortly after it came out last year.  Listening again to the first few minutes of the interview, the first time I totally missed Jim say that Harry has to survive twelve dates with Lara Raith.  That should be interesting. 

Lara Raith has always been a fun character, but even in White Night; which was heavily tilted to White Court politics and an internal House of Raith power struggle, she has always had very short but usually sharp moments with Harry.  Now it sounds like this character will be featured prominently in the next book.  I guess we will have to wait (and wait and wait and wait) to see how well this works out.     
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 02:41:57 AM »
I listened to this shortly after it came out last year.  Listening again to the first few minutes of the interview, the first time I totally missed Jim say that Harry has to survive twelve dates with Lara Raith.  That should be interesting. 

Lara Raith has always been a fun character, but even in White Night; which was heavily tilted to White Court politics and an internal House of Raith power struggle, she has always had very short but usually sharp moments with Harry.  Now it sounds like this character will be featured prominently in the next book.  I guess we will have to wait (and wait and wait and wait) to see how well this works out.   

Well, he does survive obviously, or that is the end of him in the Dresden Files...However the main question is will they be in love or stand one another enough to marry?  Hard to tell, sexual attraction, that's a given, she is a White Court Vampire.  Intelligent, Harry has always been attracted to intelligent women.  Maternal instinct?  Harry does have a couple of little girls to think about, well, she did raise Thomas.. Morals, now that gets a bit tricky.  While Harry has never been a choir boy, he sees things a lot differently than Lara..  Will he ever be able to get used to her seeing humans as kine?  They do respect each other, that is something..  So odds are 50/50 on it working out, except I don't see Molly going for it, and that will influence Harry.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 05:31:23 AM »
Mwahahahaha, twelve dates with Lara huh? Guess that'd make the wedding the 13th event!

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 07:30:42 AM »
I missed the 12 dates with Lara thing, good pick up. Sounds like one a month. Also sounds like the wedding is at the end...and that it will be successful. Harry might develop *whisper s* feelings. Shock and horror, I know.

Then I imagine there will be some awkward or painful miscommunication and the trust will break down. And Molly will get jealous. I actually think the wedding might happen. Although I wouldn't bet on them actually consummating the thing. Look how long it took for Harry and Murphy.

Also, the wizarding equipment thing. Ebenezer uses rings. I believe the Merlin uses potions, wands etc. LtW uses medicine beads and I think shield equipment. Ancient Mai is literally the best enchanter on the Council. I suspect all wizards use staves, enchanted cloaks etc. Obviously the older wardens have enchanted swords. None of them would be kids. Unless I misunderstand what he is saying.

Eb being involved in the Tunguska we have known for a long time, since we found out about him being the Black staff. However, originally it was Michael (Knight of the Cross) who killed the last dragon. It's not clear if they were both involved, and I doubt Michael was at Tunguska as it's too long ago. Unless time travel.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 05:05:13 AM »
Eb being involved in the Tunguska we have known for a long time, since we found out about him being the Black staff. However, originally it was Michael (Knight of the Cross) who killed the last dragon. It's not clear if they were both involved, and I doubt Michael was at Tunguska as it's too long ago. Unless time travel.

Michael killed the last Dragon.  I was under the impression Eb was involved in the death of one before that.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 06:10:52 PM »
Michael killed the last Dragon.  I was under the impression Eb was involved in the death of one before that.
There are still dragons around. Ferry fax is one of them.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 06:16:58 PM »
Well, he does survive obviously, or that is the end of him in the Dresden Files...However the main question is will they be in love or stand one another enough to marry?  Hard to tell, sexual attraction, that's a given, she is a White Court Vampire.  Intelligent, Harry has always been attracted to intelligent women.  Maternal instinct?  Harry does have a couple of little girls to think about, well, she did raise Thomas.. Morals, now that gets a bit tricky.  While Harry has never been a choir boy, he sees things a lot differently than Lara..  Will he ever be able to get used to her seeing humans as kine?  They do respect each other, that is something..  So odds are 50/50 on it working out, except I don't see Molly going for it, and that will influence Harry.
In love. Never. Even the idea is impossible. Harry won’t give up his protection given by Murphy and Lara wants to be well fed and Mab would kill her if she eats Harry or even nibbles from him.

This will be a political marriage and both will see other people.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 06:40:53 PM »
There are still dragons around. Ferry fax is one of them.

I didn't mean there weren't anymore.  I simply meant that the previous Dragon killed was by Michael.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 07:41:41 PM »
I didn't mean there weren't anymore.  I simply meant that the previous Dragon killed was by Michael.
That is another way of reading that sentence.  :)
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2021, 11:38:02 PM »
In love. Never. Even the idea is impossible. Harry won’t give up his protection given by Murphy and Lara wants to be well fed and Mab would kill her if she eats Harry or even nibbles from him.

This will be a political marriage and both will see other people.

Is it up to him?  I mean Mab can plot or Lara can plot, drug Harry, get some woman to go to bed and have sex with him when he is vulnerable... That's the end of his protection.. Now Mab might want to keep her Knight, but in revenge for what she thinks Harry did to Thomas.. She said as much on Demonreach, and Harry knows if she can she will get her revenge.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2021, 01:23:33 AM »
If consummation is part of the marriage contract then Mab could Droit du seigneur Harry and remove it . She told Lara not to eat Harry but she also is the one who ordered the marriage mso she wants it completed.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2021, 02:57:11 AM »
And both of those options would turn Harry (and readers) against anyone involved because they're both rape.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2021, 05:35:44 AM »
Mab takes Harry's feelings into account only when it doesn't disrupt her plans to do so. Harry was near a suicidal state of anger with her at the end of Battle Ground and this would only be a continuation of the orders she gave him then. He might rage against it(Hmmn, this could be how he gets into Mirror, Mirror with Mab showing him the way his choices can go wrong) but he can hardly get more angry if she lays it out for him in her rational, practical and implacable manner. He can get angry about it but he been angry at everything she's had him do and still he does it because that was the deal between them. Unless he can find a face saving way to cement the alliance while showing the marriage is unnecessary, he's stuck.