Author Topic: The Circle's membership  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
The Circle's membership
« on: May 18, 2021, 02:01:09 PM »
Something way back in Storm Front got me thinking.

Harry says that you can only have 13 wizards in a circle working together on a spell.

Perhaps the Circle is simply 13 wizards/entities that have got together with a shared purpose.

That narrows down the membership a lot.

Cowl, Kumori, Mavra, Arianna, are all potential candidates.

Interesting that the Grey Council also only has 13...

It's a wonder to me that the Senior Council of the White Council isn't made of 13 Wizards.

Also, Harry speculated that Nemesis might actually be the Black Council (Circle) rather than just an organisation. Jim has said there is a limit to how many Nemesis can control. I'd be prepared to bet it's 13.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: The Circle's membership
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 02:34:03 PM »
Something way back in Storm Front got me thinking.

Harry says that you can only have 13 wizards in a circle working together on a spell.

Perhaps the Circle is simply 13 wizards/entities that have got together with a shared purpose.

That narrows down the membership a lot.

Cowl, Kumori, Mavra, Arianna, are all potential candidates.

Interesting that the Grey Council also only has 13...

It's a wonder to me that the Senior Council of the White Council isn't made of 13 Wizards.

Also, Harry speculated that Nemesis might actually be the Black Council (Circle) rather than just an organisation. Jim has said there is a limit to how many Nemesis can control. I'd be prepared to bet it's 13.

That is assuming that Nemesis is just one entity.  The evidence is that it isn't, it is more of an infestation, so it Nemesis infects 13 and in turn each of those 13 infect 13 more and so on, so you see the problem.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 02:58:13 PM »
That is assuming that Nemesis is just one entity.  The evidence is that it isn't, it is more of an infestation, so it Nemesis infects 13 and in turn each of those 13 infect 13 more and so on, so you see the problem.
Is that the evidence? I could be wrong but isn't it a Walker like the others Before and Behind?

You could be right, but I am not sure I am convinced it's a self-replicating thing like a virus. I did use to think it was something like that...a magic virus but more of a hive mind type thing than a being that clones itself onto new hosts. I am not as convinced of that anymore.

Jim did say that Nemesis can only infect 13, I took that as a hard limit rather than the spread of each "cluster".

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 03:28:32 PM »
Is that the evidence? I could be wrong but isn't it a Walker like the others Before and Behind?

You could be right, but I am not sure I am convinced it's a self-replicating thing like a virus. I did use to think it was something like that...a magic virus but more of a hive mind type thing than a being that clones itself onto new hosts. I am not as convinced of that anymore.

Jim did say that Nemesis can only infect 13, I took that as a hard limit rather than the spread of each "cluster".

I'm not thinking virus, I am thinking more "parasite."  Yes, it is easy to jump to the conclusion then, if Nemesis can only infect 13, that limits it's scope.  However if each infestation is a separate organism, then in turn it can infest 13 more, and so on, it becomes a real problem.  Now your theory that 13 is a hard limit, works if the only evidence we have for infestation is the Winter Court, i.e. Lea, Maeve, Cat Sith, perhaps Mab, all infected with one thing, the Knife.. But are Cowl and Kumori part of that count?  Or are they even infected?  Then there is Justine, no contact with the Knife as far as we know.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 04:12:38 PM »
Jim the one entity split up thing before with the monkey demon in blood rites. I think we have one spiritual entity nemesis which is stronger United but can split in up to 13 parts. 13 infections.

That might mean that capturing and freezing a nemesis infected person can weaken it.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 05:38:56 PM »
Jim the one entity split up thing before with the monkey demon in blood rites. I think we have one spiritual entity nemesis which is stronger United but can split in up to 13 parts. 13 infections.

That might mean that capturing and freezing a nemesis infected person can weaken it.

Except,  Cat Sith, dead, Lea, cured, Mab, maybe cured, she seemed to suspect that she might have it, Maeve, dead.. So instead of becoming stronger, which it seems to be, it should be less of a problem.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 06:16:40 PM »
Except,  Cat Sith, dead, Lea, cured, Mab, maybe cured, she seemed to suspect that she might have it, Maeve, dead.. So instead of becoming stronger, which it seems to be, it should be less of a problem.
I do not think Mab was infected. That is a WAG.
There is no reason to think Cat Sith is dead, no body found.

And Lea? If Lea still has it in her. Otherwise it might just return.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 06:17:24 PM »
Options:

Option 1: Nemesis is like the monkey demon
Option 2: Nemesis is like Trazyn the Infinite in 40K or Mr. Sublime from Marvel Comics- an entity with a single consciousness but the ability to leap into prepared hosts

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 06:20:34 PM »
I do not think Mab was infected. That is a WAG.
There is no reason to think Cat Sith is dead, no body found.

And Lea? If Lea still has it in her. Otherwise it might just return.

I believe that Harry killed him...  No reason to believe Lea still has it, Mab wouldn't trust her, especially at the Gates during the latest attack.  Yes, a WAG on Mab, but she had herself on ice as well, so not so much a WAG.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 06:28:44 PM »
I believe that Harry killed him...  No reason to believe Lea still has it, Mab wouldn't trust her, especially at the Gates during the latest attack.  Yes, a WAG on Mab, but she had herself on ice as well, so not so much a WAG.
Ido not think being on ice is a big deal for Mab.

And Cat Sith:

The blast of raw force I summoned wasn’t my very best punch—but it was the best I was going to get out here over the lake. It slammed into the creature that had been Cat Sith and plowed it out through the Plexiglas window. The plastic didn’t break. It came entirely out of its housing, and the malk and a slab of Plexiglas the size of a door went whirling out into the madness of the night. Sith flew out over the bow of the tugboat and plunged down into the water through the open spaces of the pipe-steel rig between it and the barge.

I do not think that means dead. Jim surely keeps the possibility to bring him back wide open. A first malk can survive this.
SH[Elaine+++]