Author Topic: Who knows about Marcone?  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Monkez

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Who knows about Marcone?
« on: May 16, 2021, 11:32:17 PM »
So Marcone revealed to Harry that he has Namshiel's coin.  Who else knows?  I don't think that it's safe to assume all the bigs know (i.e., Mab, Vaderrung, etc...) because everyone keeps talking about the mortal baron.

Who knows for certain
1.  Harry (duh).
2.  Marcone (double duh).

Who likely knows:
1.  Hendricks (but he's not talking now...)
2.  Odin (I feel that Marcone would have researched the s*** out of the coin before picking it up).
3.  Ferrovax
3.  Mab
4.  Archive (who may not be so inclined to be neutral)
5.  Waldo - I believe he sensed it but didn't make a big deal out of it since he was busy with the small "a" apocalypse.

Who might know:
1.  Helen Beckitt
2.  Sigrun

Who doesn't know:
1.  White Council
2.  Black Council
3.  Remaining Denarians - I believe that this may be Namshiel's power move OR that Marcone has figured out a way to clamp down on Namshiel's ability to take over.

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 11:33:53 PM by Monkez »
I always wanted to be a monk, but I never got the chants.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
Re: Who knows about Marcone?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 12:24:14 AM »
My guess is Helen Beckitt doesn't know.  However, she's smart enough to notice that Marcone has stopped aging and motivated enough to find out why.  Gard might or might not know.  We don't know how much Odin communicates with his vassals and Gard was guarding the meeting of the supernatural members of the anti-Fomor alliance, she was not an attendee.  However, someone like Gard would have to wonder how Marcone survived his encounter with a Titan.  She should figure it out sooner or later, and probably sooner.

Think of all the players who were at the meeting that Harry interrupted.  Lara Raith knows and now knows to be extra careful with Marcone.  Sarissa knows and I think this is something she would probably have to report to Titania, though I bet she wouldn't tell Fix unless it's information he needs to know.

I wonder whether anyone will be motivated to spread knowledge of Marcone's new business partner around.  I would think that if only as a curtesy Harry would mention it to Butters and Sanya, even though Waldo may already know.  If Harry was still a member of the White Council he might have informed Carlos, should the younger Warden ever come to town again.  Now if Warden Ramirez does come back to Chicago; even if only to issue Harry a warning from the Council, Harry doesn't have any motivation to give him any warning about Marcone.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 12:51:37 AM »
I think that's a fairly comprehensive list.

I am sure Sigrun would know after Battle Ground. Mostly because Vadderung would want her to keep an eye on him. If she didn't know beforehand already, because I don't think Vadderung was surprised.

I agree that it isn't likely people will gossip. Most of them have nothing to gain by it. And mostly it wouldn't hurt Marcone, although it will attract the Denarians to him (assuming they don't know - Anduriel seems to know much more than most). I think Marcone may establish a third Denarian faction myself. The Knights will surely find out eventually even without being told as they can sense it. I think that clash will be interesting, because Marcone might not try and deal with them the way a usual Denarian would. He might rely on more mortal and mundane means, which might be more effective. Although clearly the most effective method is attacking their spirit. Nicodemus employs this often to great effect, and I think he leaves most beings and certainly Marcone in the dust for stuff like that. But if Marcone realises this is one of the only weaknesses the Knights really have, he might start trying it himself.

Offline Monkez

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 12:59:58 AM »
Addendum to my initial post:  Of course we need to realize that it's been about 6 years that Marcone has had the coin.  Whether or not he picked it up 6 years ago is a different story, but it's very likely that he has. 

If Sigrun knows, it's likely she's known for awhile.

Sheesh, now i need to read the books again from the perspective that Marcone has the coin.  :)

Offline Gman

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 05:44:53 AM »
Mab definitely knows. Harry actually surprised her with the info at the end of Battleground at the meeting. He called Marcone,  Sir Baron. Mab's eyebrow went way up in surprise and understanding.

Offline Monkez

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 06:59:57 AM »
Mab definitely knows. Harry actually surprised her with the info at the end of Battleground at the meeting. He called Marcone,  Sir Baron. Mab's eyebrow went way up in surprise and understanding.

How does calling Marcone "Sir Baron" implying that Marcone has a coin?  Marcone is baron in the eyes of the Accords.  I'm not saying you're wrong, just trying to see the connection.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 08:28:13 AM »
How does calling Marcone "Sir Baron" implying that Marcone has a coin?  Marcone is baron in the eyes of the Accords.  I'm not saying you're wrong, just trying to see the connection.
Because the emphasis on Sir tells everyone that he's become a knight of some sort and there's not many types of knight he could be that he'd keep hidden. She might even have remembered that there was a missing coin last seen around Marcone.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 12:30:03 AM by TheCuriousFan »
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 02:11:09 PM »
Because the emphasis on Sir tells everyone that he's become a knight of some sort and there's not many types of knight he could be that he'd keep hidden. She might even have remembered that there was a missing coin last scene around Marcone.

More importantly, only divine or infernal power could pierce Ethniu's bronze to get a blood sample for Harry to bind her.

And the divine knights were fighting other places, but somehow Harry got the blood- and Marcone tried to stab her in the park. Fallen=infernal power. Vadderung reveals that detail.