Author Topic: Think the White Council will make an attempt?  (Read 4044 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Think the White Council will make an attempt?
« on: May 02, 2021, 05:39:49 AM »
I think Jim said that Twelve Months will be about Harry dating Lara, and having to survive attempts on his life.  Do you think any of these attempts will actually be done by wizards of the White Council? 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Think the White Council will make an attempt?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 07:10:38 AM »
I think Jim said that Twelve Months will be about Harry dating Lara, and having to survive attempts on his life.  Do you think any of these attempts will actually be done by wizards of the White Council?
I doubt it. The Council is filthy rich and cowardly, much better to hire disposable assassins. Sure, it's Harry Dresden they're going after, so any one assassin won't be cheap, but still.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 04:11:16 PM »
The Council may try something indirect, especially if "Wizard of Chicago" starts to gain traction but nothing overt unless EB is sent to the wedding as the Council's representative to an Accorded Nations function. Luccio and/or Ramirez would be better diplomatic choices though.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 04:29:54 PM »
I doubt it. The Council is filthy rich and cowardly, much better to hire disposable assassins. Sure, it's Harry Dresden they're going after, so any one assassin won't be cheap, but still.

Yeah, killing him at least semi-publicly (in the sense that most of the Council members are aware they did it) would probably be too controversial. Eb is the only one who could kill him with magic, and while the engagement will probably push him to consider it, I don't think he would. I'm not sure any of the Wardens Langtry would trust to follow an order to kill Harry in secret without using magic have the competency with guns or bombs to stand a near certain chance of success.

Hiring someone in Kincaid or Grey's orbit to do it for them makes a lot more sense for Langtry and his faction. Someone with a footing in mortal organized crime hits would be a bonus, because even if they fail, Marcone would be the instant number one suspect for the paymaster behind it.

Or if they're willing to get their hands dirtier, Shagnasty or the Genoskwa would probably go after Harry for a bent quarter and a copy of whatever intelligence the Wardens have on his defenses to make the job easier for them.

I'd also expect attempts on his life from at least some of:
- factions of the White Court that don't want the engagement to proceed
- possibly Marcone for real
- King Corb
- Outsiders and their cultists. If Harry's confidence that he can adapt binding and banishing cornerhounds to exorcising Nemesis isn't misplaced, that's a threat to them.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 06:41:56 PM »
I don’t think the white council will make any real attempt night now. If the white council tried openly Harry can reasonably ask his liege for help or just bring it into her attention and that will backfire for the white council.

The Genoskwa will certainly try though and white council involvement is not necessary for that. He will almost certainly underestimate Harry though.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 12:34:01 AM »
The Genoskwa will certainly try though and white council involvement is not necessary for that. He will almost certainly underestimate Harry though.

Why? He's seen just about every powerup Harry has at his disposal, unless he takes to carrying the spearhead regularly.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 03:32:17 AM »
Why? He's seen just about every powerup Harry has at his disposal, unless he takes to carrying the spearhead regularly.
Because he is full of his own superiority.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 05:23:04 AM »

he hasn't seen everything at Lara's disposal.  He also faced a Harry who had slacked at his magic, and used more of his Winter Mantle.  It felt like Harry had decided he needed to start practicing his craft again at the end of BG.  I suspect he's going to have upped his magic game.  I think some spells that used Soulfire could be effective. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 05:25:40 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 09:43:53 AM »
I don’t think the white council will make any real attempt night now. If the white council tried openly Harry can reasonably ask his liege for help or just bring it into her attention and that will backfire for the white council.

Underestimating Harry wouldn't really matter too much since his preferred MO is going in under a veil and twisting heads off and he's fast enough to just speedblitz Harry in a confrontation.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 10:39:59 AM »
Underestimating Harry wouldn't really matter too much since his preferred MO is going in under a veil and twisting heads off and he's fast enough to just speedblitz Harry in a confrontation.
Harry was warned by river shoulders and toot and his crew were very effective against veiled opponents.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 06:48:58 AM »

I'd like to think that even if Harry didn't know what was coming, his magical senses would give him a last second warning, and he'd throw up a shield at the last moment.  He's supposed to grow at least a little in every book.  Since Changes it's mostly been him getting stronger with the WK Mantle.  I'm hopeful that his magic will begin to improve after some of what was said in BG.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 10:52:06 AM »
I'd like to think that even if Harry didn't know what was coming, his magical senses would give him a last second warning, and he'd throw up a shield at the last moment.  He's supposed to grow at least a little in every book.  Since Changes it's mostly been him getting stronger with the WK Mantle.  I'm hopeful that his magic will begin to improve after some of what was said in BG.
A few pixie bodyguards will detect any visible attacker.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 06:41:42 PM »
My prediction is there will be multiple attempts by multiple attackers; and one of those attackers, or their sponsor, will escape detection and retribution.  So, it's possible that Harry will track down the final would-be assassin only to find that someone else killed them first, thus shielding their employer from identification.

You see, there are two possible reasons why someone from the White Council would target Harry.  First, a few members of the Senior Council; in their typically arrogant and self-righteous manner, might determine that Harry is a threat that needs to be removed.  I think they would fear what Lara Raith could get a compliant Harry Dresden to do for her and the White Court.  The second reason is that Peabody's unknown partner in the White Council; maybe I should refer to this individual as Wizard X, wants to carry on the mission of weakening the White Court and, if possible, set the White Council and White Court against each other.  The alliance between Winter and the White Court is something Wizard X would want to stop.  Killing Harry and making it look like the Council was responsible could potentially accomplish both goals.   

About the Genoska; Genoskwa? whatever, I really don't care.  I don't know why Jim decided to bring this one shot goon villain back from the dead.  I hope the big guy makes an attempt so Harry can get rid of him for good, though I suspect we might not see him again until we see Nicodemus again; so not for some time.  Plus, there is probably some special way that Harry will have to use to kill the big ape for good. 

I think there will be three factions or individuals who try to kill Harry.  At least one of them will be; if not generic, at least predictable.  I could see a pack of ghouls from the LaChaise clan make an attempt.     
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 06:51:20 PM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Gman

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 12:56:47 AM »
I don't see the WC attempting to kill Harry unless he does something major to piss them off. I think they kicked him off the WC was to neutralize his growing influence/power on the WC. They see him as useful against common enemies. He has defeated many common enemies. He is still feared and that he could go to the dark side. He is considered a loose cannon.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 06:05:39 AM »
I don't see the WC attempting to kill Harry unless he does something major to piss them off. I think they kicked him off the WC was to neutralize his growing influence/power on the WC. They see him as useful against common enemies. He has defeated many common enemies. He is still feared and that he could go to the dark side. He is considered a loose cannon.

I am also reminded of a DR Who episode, I believe it was "The Invasion of Time."  The Doctor declares himself President and proceeds to have his companion, Leela, who is a female warrior thrown out of the city to the wilderness.  Why because from there she will the most effective against the enemy they have to fight.  Harry is more effective off the Council in doing what needs to be done than hampered by the constraints that the Council puts upon him.