Author Topic: So is Marcone Black Council now?  (Read 2459 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
So is Marcone Black Council now?
« on: April 10, 2021, 04:49:47 AM »
Not everything Dresden believes in the books is accurate, but it's strongly suggested that Namshiel was working with Shagnasty, and others with an attack on Arctis Tor.  That they were doing it on behalf of the Black Council.  So that begs the question, does Marcone hold the same beliefs as Namshiel when it comes to the attack?  Perhaps that's why he wanted the Eye so badly?  Or was Namshiel's Coin holder the one calling the shots when the attack was done?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: So is Marcone Black Council now?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 07:38:02 AM »
Namshiel’s host did not even had a name at that time.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 07:42:52 AM »
I mean how would Marcone even know about Namshiel being involved? I doubt he'd just tell him about it.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 02:17:37 AM »
Probably not yet. I think Namshiel is still in the passenger seat, not calling the shots.

Besides, I'm not yet convinced he was really the Black Council Denarian, vs framed by Tessa and/or Rosanna to take the heat off them.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 10:56:45 AM »
Probably not yet. I think Namshiel is still in the passenger seat, not calling the shots.
Not yet

And when it happens Marcone would not even know
Besides, I'm not yet convinced he was really the Black Council Denarian, vs framed by Tessa and/or Rosanna to take the heat off them.
Or just there because he owed someone something.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 11:49:35 PM »
It's possible that Namshiel is more of a lone wolf who just happened to be working with Nicodemus during the events of Small Favor.  He wasn't around when Nicodemus was working on the plague curse, so it's possible that Namshiel has his own agenda.  If Namshiel was set up by either Tessa or Rosa to take the fall by agreeing to launch an attack on Arctis Tor, he's probably not happy with either of them.  He probably didn't like being left behind on Demonreach either.  While it was Namshiel's host who paid the ultimate price, I bet the Fallen don't like being sent into darkness because they never know how long that condition will last.  So Thorny is probably no one's friend.

I would also guess that after the events of Skin Game Nicodemus must have come to realize that he was set up by Mab, though initially he might not have realized that Marcone was acting as a full partner with Mab, but I'm sure he knows now.  Perhaps Namshiel has some way of blocking Anduriel's scrying ability, but even if he does I doubt he could keep it up 24 / 7.  So Nicodemus probably knows that Marcone has Namshiel's coin.

Taking about who is driving and who is in the passenger seat, in upcoming stories it will interesting to see if Marcone's attitude, language or behavior seems to be changing; even if that change is a subtle one.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 11:53:13 PM »
No, I don't think Marcone is BC. He is a sort of lone wolf, and some of the BC are probably beings that Marcone would despise.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 02:57:37 AM »
It's possible that Namshiel is more of a lone wolf who just happened to be working with Nicodemus during the events of Small Favor.  He wasn't around when Nicodemus was working on the plague curse, so it's possible that Namshiel has his own agenda.  If Namshiel was set up by either Tessa or Rosa to take the fall by agreeing to launch an attack on Arctis Tor, he's probably not happy with either of them.  He probably didn't like being left behind on Demonreach either.  While it was Namshiel's host who paid the ultimate price, I bet the Fallen don't like being sent into darkness because they never know how long that condition will last.  So Thorny is probably no one's friend.

This was my understanding of Namshiel as well.

Offline ZhonLord

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 10:41:48 PM »
I'd also like to point out that the Black Council is on a lot of people's bad sides.  Nicodemus hates them, the Merlin hates them, Harry wants them brought down and so does Ebenezer.  Compare that to fighting alongside the Winter Queen, her allies, the White Council and more besides.  There's no way Marcone would put such a big bullseye on his own head by joining them as a potential lackey when he could work with the people who are winning instead - and stand among them as an equal.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 02:32:24 AM »
I'd also like to point out that the Black Council is on a lot of people's bad sides.  Nicodemus hates them,
That is what he says. That probably means he is working for them all the time. And that means he will betray them.

Really what Nicodemus says is no evidence for anything except what he wants you to believe.  ;D
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2021, 01:13:49 AM »
That is what he says. That probably means he is working for them all the time. And that means he will betray them.

Really what Nicodemus says is no evidence for anything except what he wants you to believe.

Hearing that Hellfire was used in the attack on Arctic Tor was the only scene in the entire series where he broke composure. At a time when Dresden was years away from finding out about Nemesis, and Nic had every reason to think he was on the verge of tipping over onto his team.

Faking that reaction is a pretty screwball manipulation. The scene works a lot better if he's genuinely pissed and scared that Nemesis has corrupted one of his.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2021, 01:57:11 AM »
Hearing that Hellfire was used in the attack on Arctic Tor was the only scene in the entire series where he broke composure. At a time when Dresden was years away from finding out about Nemesis, and Nic had every reason to think he was on the verge of tipping over onto his team.

Faking that reaction is a pretty screwball manipulation. The scene works a lot better if he's genuinely pissed and scared that Nemesis has corrupted one of his.
He was trying to get Harry into his team at that time and he was trying to show him they shared enemies and then he was confronted with one of his team associating with Harry's enemies so of course he reacted like that. The whole book is about Nicodemus trying to manipulate Harry into taking up the coin and joining his team.
SH[Elaine+++]